Cape Liberty in March ?????

teacherman

We are looking at a 7 night FAMILY cruise on RCCL Anthem of the Seas, March 27-April 3, out of Cape Liberty.  It ports in Cape Canaveral, Nassau, and Cocoa Cay, with 3 sea days.  I know this is a "tricky" question, but for those with experience on a early spring Cape Liberty sailing, how much decent warm weather might we reasonably expect for this cruise?  Also, if you know this ship, are there enough things to do inside to keep an 11 and 14 year old entertained during cold days.  Any advice is welcome.  We have had 2 family cruises canceled due to the Covid and would really like to do one this coming spring.  Thank you

We booked this cruise for the week after.  We will be travelling with our 12 and 15 year old.  From my research there should be quite a bit to do for them on sea days (swimming pool, trivia, bumper cars, sports plex (forgot the name), indoor skydiving, movie theatre, shows and of course tons of eating). As far as the weather is concerned the Bahamas and Florida should be pretty warm high of 70's low 80's in the day.  We always pack a light jacket for the evenings.  We are hoping to go snorkeling in Nassau but Coco Cay should be a great beach day.

We were on Holland America cruise 2 years ago during winter break and stopped in the Bahamas (different private island) Half Moon Cay and it was absolutely gorgeous. We did have about half an hour of rain but weather was great.

On 10/8/2021 at 1:38 PM, teacherman said:

We are looking at a 7 night FAMILY cruise on RCCL Anthem of the Seas, March 27-April 3, out of Cape Liberty.

I don't know the ship but have sailed from New York innumerable times during the winter/early spring. It's going to be cold the first and last days-- not "I can throw on a light jacket and make the best of it" cold but genuinely cold. The late afternoon/early evening of the first sea day it should start to turn the corner. 

I remember being on the old QE2 sailing between New York and Ft Lauderdale when she put her afterburners on and did the trip in 1 day, it was generally getting warmer by lunch time, but you'll be moving a bit slower on Anthem. 

I'd plan to take a jacket and plan to use the indoor facilities those days. 

There are many activities for kid of your age they will not be bored.  Did you look at Sea Plex? The ship has 2 covered pools, 1 for age 16 plus. Both pools can be accessed without walking on an outside deck by using the front elevators.

Expect  and prepare for cold weather in March.  Past temperatures does not mean your cruise will encounter them. I sailed from Bayonne in the middle of January (much colder than early March), the first sea day temperature was in the 60's at 9 am.  All of the winter cruises I sailed, on returning to Bayonne had the outside decks closed on the last sea day. Anthem is a ship suited for cold weather.

From Bayonne to Florida and back from the Bahamas the course is too far west to hit the Gulf Stream - which usually makes the first sea day out  and second to last day on a Caribbean itinerary fairly mild.  Once in the Florida/Bahamas area in late March, you are likely to enjoy mild weather, but should be prepared for possible  temps in 60’s.   Of course your ship has ample enclosed areas, so outside temps will not impact you too heavily.