Try it anyway

Yogibearadventure

So, you're not as likely to try some of these special meals back home and that squishy thing looks weird. Try it anyway! Most cruise lines offer a special featured dish or cuisine of the day based upon your location. Exocit doesn't always mean strange, but if it just so happens, that you're not impressed- just kindly ask for another selection. Don't be rude, just politely explain that you didn't care for it. If you're at the buffet, abandon ship quietly and go get another plate. Keep an open mind! You JUST might LIKE it!

Exotic Food Plate.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am far more open about trying new and different foods than my husband, but he does use cruising as an opportunity to try new things he ordinarily wouldn't, and occasionally he finds something he really likes. He "hates" mushrooms, but a couple of cruises ago discovered Arancini on the appetizer menu one evening on Royal Caribbean. Their rice balls, bread and fried, are filled with a porcini mushroom filling, albeit not much, and he actually likes them in spite of that!

On 10/9/2021 at 7:01 AM, Yogibearadventure said:

So, you're not as likely to try some of these special meals back home and that squishy thing looks weird. Try it anyway!

Completely agree!  The first time that I was served Antipasto that included Baby Octopus....oh my!  (I know too much about you little feller to think that I could eat you.)  But, maybe a couple of glasses of wine prior to eating the dish helped....but, I found it was OK.  I have had some since that first encounter and I no longer would avoid them.  I have the same thoughts about calamari.  If calamari are properly prepared, they don't have to resemble "eating rubber bands".  

• Like 1

We like to try some of the items that we wouldn't get or make at home.

With certain limitations, I am willing to try different cuisines and dishes with their preparations.

There will be some items that i will like and will attempt to copy at home to enjoy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

With certain limitations, I am willing to try different cuisines and dishes with their preparations.

That's my usual position.  Sometimes, I like the food; sometimes, I don't.  Congee fits in that category.  I like Oatmeal.  Since I do, friends who know much more about foods from Asia than me encouraged me to try Congee.  When I was in China, I did.  Didn't finish the bowl.  They asked, did you put any condiments on it?  No, I didn't, I replied.  Try doing so, they said.  Another morning, I did (I don't remember what I used).  Simply didn't like it and didn't finish  the bowl.  The following morning, I returned to a Continental or Western style breakfast.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That's my usual position.  Sometimes, I like the food; sometimes, I don't.  Congee fits in that category.  I like Oatmeal.  Since I do, friends who know much more about foods from Asia than me encouraged me to try Congee.  When I was in China, I did.  Didn't finish the bowl.  They asked, did you put any condiments on it?  No, I didn't, I replied.  Try doing so, they said.  Another morning, I did (I don't remember what I used).  Simply didn't like it and didn't finish  the bowl.  The following morning, I returned to a Continental or Western style breakfast.  

One of my favorite breakfasts is menudo. With lots of tripe.

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Never heard of this; used Wikipedia.  For breakfast?  Seriously?  I think I would prefer Congee.  

"

What does menudo taste like?

Menudo tastes like a robust, red chile stew with rich flavors. The tripe itself is mild in taste but has a texture of clams or calamari. There are yummy bites of corn hominy and an earthiness from the broth. "
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

rka,

Sorry not really into rices dishes unless I am familiar with them and especially not for breakfast.

I have tried many of the varieties of cereals dry or hot on Cunard ships which are quite european.

Most dry needed warm or hot milk to be added.

I think I am too american to take a liking to them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I have tried many of the varieties of cereals

I am not much of a cereal person either.  Growing up, I'd see commercials for cereals that I thought I would like, i.e. Wheaties, Cheerios, Kix, the Chex varieties.  Mother would buy them.  I'd eat a bit of it, but my Brother and Father would eat the rest of them.  Evan today, other than Quaker Instant Oatmeal in its various varieties and an occasional box of Raisin Bran (that lasts for weeks/months), I am not a cereal fan.  

21 hours ago, clo said:

"

Menudo tastes like a robust, red chile stew with rich flavors. The tripe itself is mild in taste but has a texture of clams or calamari. There are yummy bites of corn hominy and an earthiness from the broth. "

OK, I would try that, but not for breakfast.  Sounds more like a dinner entree to me.  Hominy?  I have not had that for years and it was something that I enjoyed.  

Like @rkacruiser , I’m on HAL.  Our executive chef, Rudi Sodamin, is European.  Therefore our daily dinner menus are really varied.  However, on the MDR dinner menu is a section with selections that are always available.  I forget now what that section is called, think it is “Signatures”.  Anyway it contains three entrees: Grilled salmon,  roast chicken and  broiled steak.

So on one cruise I was sharing a table with (among others) a couple who ALWAYS chose from one of the three items on “always available” section.  The only time that I ever saw them order from the daily menu was when prime rib was offered.

But me??  Hey, if oxtails are offered that’s what I order.  Same for liver, sweetbreads, carpaccio, pork belly, etc.  You get the idea.

That couple was constantly sniping at me for eating “offal”.  First of all, I consider that to be rude.  I do not comment on what others are eating.

But mostly I felt sorry for them.   They are of the subset of folks that who think “if mommy didn’t cook it, it’s not good to eat”.   How sad to limit your food choices so severely and never try anything new.  Anyway, that’s just my opinion.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 6:08 PM, rkacruiser said:

Completely agree!  I have the same thoughts about calamari.  If calamari are properly prepared, they don't have to resemble "eating rubber bands".  

One of my all-time favorite dishes is baked stuffed calamari in a red sauce.  I have yet to see this on any menu onboard a ship.  If prepared in the style of Giata it is absolutely addictive…served over spaghetti.  (Giata is a town in Italy on the coast south of Rome.)

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

7 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Like @rkacruiser , I’m on HAL.  Our executive chef, Rudi Sodamin, is European.  Therefore our daily dinner menus are really varied.  However, on the MDR dinner menu is a section with selections that are always available.  I forget now what that section is called, think it is “Signatures”.  Anyway it contains three items: Grilled salmon,  roast chicken and  broiled steak.

So on one cruise I was sharing a table with (among others) a couple who ALWAYS chose from one of the three items on “always available” section.  The only time that I ever saw them order from the daily menu was when prime rib was offered.

But me??  Hey, if oxtails are offered that’s what I order.  Same for liver, sweetbreads, carpaccio, pork belly, etc.  You get the idea.

Anyway, that couple was constantly sniping at me for eating “offal”.  First of all, I consider that to be rude.  I do not comment on what others are eating.

But mostly I felt sorry for them.   They are of the subset of folks that who think “if mommy didn’t cook it, it’s not good to eat”.   How sad to limit your food choices so severely and never try anything new.  Anyway, that’s just my opinion.

How rude!  I can’t imagine how I would have reacted to tablemates that did that.  I admire your reserve! 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 6:26 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

rka,

Sorry not really into rices dishes unless I am familiar with them and especially not for breakfast.

I have tried many of the varieties of cereals dry or hot on Cunard ships which are quite european.

Most dry needed warm or hot milk to be added.

I think I am too american to take a liking to them.

No, no. You're a NYer, aren't you???

1 hour ago, Av8rix said:

I used to be on a food site and we had to remember that food isn't even on a long list for many people. But my gut feels the same as you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am not much of a cereal person either.  Growing up, I'd see commercials for cereals that I thought I would like, i.e. Wheaties, Cheerios, Kix, the Chex varieties.  Mother would buy them.  I'd eat a bit of it, but my Brother and Father would eat the rest of them.  Evan today, other than Quaker Instant Oatmeal in its various varieties and an occasional box of Raisin Bran (that lasts for weeks/months), I am not a cereal fan.  

rka

I too wasn't into Wheaties, Cheerios, Kix but Chex ok. Cheerios lately with a glaze of fruit covering like Strawberries like and Blueberries.. They originally tasted like cardboard....DRY!

I do like properly made Oatmeal and i use Brown Sugar from Barbados Tourist Pier we even have it sent to us. Also Fine Maple Sugar from a Country Store in Vermont. Adds favor to that white wet stuff.

European Cereal is oddd to Americans. I honestly ever seen them ordered by other tables on board even on long sailings. Not sure who is interested consuming them.

12 hours ago, clo said:

No, no. You're a NYer, aren't you???

Maybe because we live in a big city and our super supermarkets shelves are filled with a very large wide variety of cereals and breakfast choices even in the freezer that we are use to these choices.

You know we here hear about those across the Pond eating the Med Diet as their everyday diet choices.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Maybe because we live in a big city and our super supermarkets shelves are filled with a very large wide variety of cereals and breakfast choices even in the freezer that we are use to these choices.

You know we here hear about those across the Pond eating the Med Diet as their everyday diet choices.

Oh, I was referring to congee and the like.

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

How rude!

Agree.  I have had a tablemate question me about Sweetbreads.  But, I explained why I liked them.  That ended the conversation.  I questioned a Cuban heritage couple about an appetizer that included Manchego Cheese.  Jose assured me that I would like it.  And, he was right!  

23 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Hey, if oxtails are offered that’s what I order.  Same for liver, sweetbreads, carpaccio, pork belly, etc. 

I often do the same, but my experience with the Princess Celebrity Chef's recipe for the preparation of Port Belly was simply disgusting.  I took two bites; rejected the entree.  Ordered a Princess staple of Fettuccine Alfredo and ended up consuming the most under cooked, watery, with little cheese flavor of such a dish that I have ever had.  This was on Royal Princess during her first season in the Caribbean.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I often do the same, but my experience with the Princess Celebrity Chef's recipe for the preparation of Port Belly was simply disgusting.  I took two bites; rejected the entree.  Ordered a Princess staple of Fettuccine Alfredo and ended up consuming the most under cooked, watery, with little cheese flavor of such a dish that I have ever had.  This was on Royal Princess during her first season in the Caribbean.   

And all of that is why we sail on HAL, isn't it? 😉😉

Incidentally, have you ever gone to the Master Chef and Cellar Masters dinners that they used to have once a cruise in the PG private room?  My love of the "less usual" offerings once netted me a bonanza at one of those dinners.  On the menu was "bone marrow".  It was presented as a cross section of a beef marrow bone (likely a femur) with its marrow caramelized.  About 3 or 4 of the folks at the table were disinclined to try marrow -- so I ended up with a nice stack of them all to myself!  Well, I couldn't let them go to waste, now could I?

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Av8rix said:

About 3 or 4 of the folks at the table were disinclined to try marrow -- so I ended up with a nice stack of them all to myself!  Well, I couldn't let them go to waste, now could I?

Lucky you! I haven't fixed those in ages.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:40 PM, AV8rix said:

And all of that is why we sail on HAL, isn't it? 😉😉

Incidentally, have you ever gone to the Master Chef and Cellar Masters dinners that they used to have once a cruise in the PG private room?  My love of the "less usual" offerings once netted me a bonanza at one of those dinners.  On the menu was "bone marrow".  It was presented as a cross section of a beef marrow bone (likely a femur) with its marrow caramelized.  About 3 or 4 of the folks at the table were disinclined to try marrow -- so I ended up with a nice stack of them all to myself!  Well, I couldn't let them go to waste, now could I?

The names of the special dinners in the PG that I have attended escape me.  While the food and wine were certainly more "exotic" than what I have on a daily basis, the ambiance, the information about our dinner provided by the Maitre d', the Chef, and the Sommelier, I enjoyed.  But, maybe the thing that I enjoyed most was the interaction with others that attended those small dinners.  We were all there for one reason:  the enjoyment of a fine dining experience.  We shared past experiences.  It was a fun evening.

Bone marrow?  I have not had an opportunity to try that.  Bone marrow in the minds of some may be like Sweetbreads,  Such thinking returns my memory to the old Life cereal commercial when one kid says to "Mikey, try it.  You will like it."  

My opinion:  if the first time one tries these more "exotic" foods, how they are prepared will influence their future perception of them.  Sweetbreads, Liver, Beef Tongue, Chicken Livers and Giblets, Brains:  I remember eating them all and enjoying them all.  My Mother and Grandmother were excellent cooks.  

My Father was a fisher and a hunter.  Rabbit and Pheasant sometimes appeared on my dinner plate.  All were good, but, one needed to be on the lookout for buckshot.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 4:14 PM, clo said:

"

That is a very charitable description.