No Cruising In New Zealand Before October 2022 :(

Uncertainty is not helping the tourism industries but we have to live with it.

interesting reading how cruising is going ahead in other parts of the world albeit slowly.

Another was that some countries are placing expiry dates on the validity of vaccine/passport/documents. Unclear how that will be done here yet. Double vaccination status will not give life long immunity.  

Boosters or 3rd vaccines may extend the validity.

It would be an issue if travel outbound is delayed for months with zero  certainty of when borders will open.   

Hopefully supply and access of an acceptable vaccine with no longer hamper getting travel documents in place prior to travel. 

59 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Personally I think NSW should have remained in lockdown for another 3 months. People will be going beserk in the coming weeks too much interaction.  Qld Premier is urging Queenslanders to get vaccinated in the next 6 weeks, does that mean Qld might reopen their border on 1 November? Who knows.🤐

I think it should have been at least another month until every Greater Sydney LGA, plus any regional LGAs that had had recent cases, reached 90% vaxxed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think it should have been at least another month until every Greater Sydney LGA, plus any regional LGAs that had had recent cases, reached 90% vaxxed. 

I think you would make a good successor to Dr Chant, Julie.  Yours is a very sound proposition.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I think you would make a good successor to Dr Chant, Julie.  Yours is a very sound proposition.

I'm a very logical person, Les, and don't get swayed by politics. I'm not a health expert nor an economist. I just study the figures, from here and overseas, and draw logical conclusions.

Yes, we need to get people back to work, we need contact with our loved ones, and we need haircuts but having opened up too soon could end up with us back in lockdown again. A 2-3 week delay on opening up, until vaccination rates were higher, might mean no further lockdown required. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm a very logical person, Les, and don't get swayed by politics. I'm not a health expert nor an economist. I just study the figures, from here and overseas, and draw logical conclusions.

Yes, we need to get people back to work, we need contact with our loved ones, and we need haircuts but having opened up too soon could end up with us back in lockdown again. A 2-3 week delay on opening up, until vaccination rates were higher, might mean no further lockdown required. 

Sorry to disagree guys, however now is the time to open up. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, portcbob said:

Sorry to disagree guys, however now is the time to open up. 

I agree. Too many people are doing it tough and we need to learn to live with the virus. 

Looks like NSW will now reach 80% fully vaccinated by 18th October. For those that want to stay at home, that is your decision, as it is the  decision to not get vaccinated. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 2:43 PM, Vader1111 said:

Why is the NZ vax rate going up so slowly? 

The ACT hit 98% first dose today, for those age 12+, and is expected to be 90%+ double dosed inside of 2 weeks.  Granted, the ACT is a small & highly urbanised jurisdiction, without any of the lunatic anti-vax idiots making trouble in Vic & NSW - but surely if the ACT can do it in 8 months, it shouldn't take NZ 20 months to get there?

I fully support the NZ Govt, in refusing to open the borders until 90% of the population is vaccinated.  It makes a lot more sense than the Aus Govt's 80% of the 16+ population (i.e. ~60% of the total population).  I'm just wondering why your vax program is so slow?  Australia's was badly run from the start, but numbers have really risen steeply since the start of September.  I would have expected the same from NZ.

It's not 'so slow'; no slower than Australia, anyway - they're only one or two percent behind Australia in fully vaxxed people.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 4:43 PM, Vader1111 said:

Why is the NZ vax rate going up so slowly? 

The ACT hit 98% first dose today, for those age 12+, and is expected to be 90%+ double dosed inside of 2 weeks.  Granted, the ACT is a small & highly urbanised jurisdiction, without any of the lunatic anti-vax idiots making trouble in Vic & NSW - but surely if the ACT can do it in 8 months, it shouldn't take NZ 20 months to get there?

I fully support the NZ Govt, in refusing to open the borders until 90% of the population is vaccinated.  It makes a lot more sense than the Aus Govt's 80% of the 16+ population (i.e. ~60% of the total population).  I'm just wondering why your vax program is so slow?  Australia's was badly run from the start, but numbers have really risen steeply since the start of September.  I would have expected the same from NZ.

Actually, Australia and NZ are pretty close.  NZ 68.5% first dose, Aus 69.7%.  NZ 49.1% first dose, Aus 52.3%.  That out of total population, not eligible population.

• Like 1

Up in anti vaxxer land, Northern Rivers - Lismore/Ballina etc and Byron Bay - Tweed (NSW) the vax rates are only around 48%.  There are some alternate life style people up there, some in remote villages, to wit Nimbin.

They won't be cruising anytime soon.

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Up in anti vaxxer land, Northern Rivers - Lismore/Ballina etc and Byron Bay - Tweed (NSW) the vax rates are only around 48%.  There are some alternate life style people up there, some in remote villages, to wit Nimbin.

They won't be cruising anytime soon.

And good riddance to them, the cruise industry does not need  or want them.

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, stki said:

I agree. Too many people are doing it tough and we need to learn to live with the virus. 

Looks like NSW will now reach 80% fully vaccinated by 18th October. For those that want to stay at home, that is your decision, as it is the  decision to not get vaccinated. 

If you look at the fine print, even NSW hasn't promised that there won't be more lockdowns if they are deemed necessary. Only that they'll be "targeted", whatever that means.

A couple of weeks extra vaccinations to get closer to 90% over a wider area of the state could make the difference between opening up and then locking down again, or just opening up forever.

3 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Sorry, that second figure should have been fully vaccinated

No worries, I am sure we all knew what you meant to write, I did anyway. The most important  thing to note is that it is the total population  and not just the eligible population (16+ or even 12+ like here in the ACT).

On 10/13/2021 at 9:28 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

It's not 'so slow'; no slower than Australia, anyway - they're only one or two percent behind Australia in fully vaxxed people.

Then why the prediction that it would be so slow to hit 80%, the threshold for allowing cruising to return?

On 10/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, MicCanberra said:

Because they are talking about 80% od the total population not just the people aged 16 and over.

I appreciate that 80% of those aged 16+ (the qualification used by Gladys/Dom & Scomo) is only 64% of the general population, it shouldn't take an extra 12 months to get from 64% to 80%.  Not with the volume of vaccines available now.

51 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

I appreciate that 80% of those aged 16+ (the qualification used by Gladys/Dom & Scomo) is only 64% of the general population, it shouldn't take an extra 12 months to get from 64% to 80%.  Not with the volume of vaccines available now.

It shouldn't but it might, especially if the 5-12 year olds are not approved to be vaccinated.

• 5 weeks later...

I am currently scheduled on an Auckland to Sydney cruise in January 2023.  As I also heard about this news within the past month, I am sitting here wondering if I should cancel and re-schedule for a later date?

We were planning on spending a week pre-cruise on land before taking the cruise; however, booking a flight from the US to Auckland is no inexpensive task, only to later learn that we may not be able to travel.

I think I may wait to see if there is any update at all by March or April of 2022.  If we don't hear anything, I may postpone the trip until a later time.  

Those are my thoughts from someone nowhere near New Zealand or Australia.  Do you think that's a reasonable thought?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sensenigr said:

I think I may wait to see if there is any update at all by March or April of 2022.  If we don't hear anything, I may postpone the trip until a later time.  

Those are my thoughts from someone nowhere near New Zealand or Australia.  Do you think that's a reasonable thought?

I'm in NZ 

We've been told to expect "significant" changes to our MIQ (managed hotel isolation system) in the first quarter of  next year.  Its likely that it will first open up to NZ citizens and permanent residents as so many can't come home, but I'd be surprised if  we weren't open to all vaccinated tourists by the 3/4 of the year.  That is when we probably see cruising start again.  There  is normally little cruising here between April-October - and what there is  up to the Pacific Islands which are even more risk adverse than we are. So no one expects cruising before October 

You can assume that if you are not vaccinated you won't be coming to Oz or NZ anytime in the next few years - but assuming you are I wouldn't be cancelling yet. Just monitor and watch, I assume you don't have to pay serious money for quite some time? 

We've been told there will be some announcements around this in the next couple of weeks. At the moment we as a country are focused on removing the internal border around Auckland and moving on from an elimination strategy and getting to 90% vaccination all before Xmas when everyone goes on holiday and will likely move the virus around the country. 

Also  you couldn't book a flight now anyways - even pre Covid its too early. I personally wouldn't be booking until there is some  dates around reopening. 

I'm looking at flights to the USA in July 22 - but probably won't actually buy them until April. Note that most of the so-called schedules for flights at the moment are just fantasies and are not worth booking 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

And 10-mins later big accouncement - tourists will be allowed back into NZ from 30 April 22 from everywhere but red zone countries (only a handful of those left ) . Have to be fully vaccinated, tested - might have to home isolate - I'll start a new thread when some news organisation has the details written down 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lissie said:

And 10-mins later big accouncement - tourists will be allowed back into NZ from 30 April 22 from everywhere but red zone countries (only a handful of those left ) . Have to be fully vaccinated, tested - might have to home isolate - I'll start a new thread when some news organisation has the details written down 

Oh, Lissie, you just broke my heart! I have a daughter I haven't seen for two years, in Auckland and a grandchild I've never met, there with her. I was hoping for March at the latest. End of April is forever away and just cruel.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Oh, Lissie, you just broke my heart! I have a daughter I haven't seen for two years, in Auckland and a grandchild I've never met, there with her. I was hoping for March at the latest. End of April is forever away and just cruel.

Where are you? Are you a kiwi? I was answering the poster who sounded like he was American - but citizens and PRs can come back from Australia from Jan 17 . Your daughter can travel to you where ever you are and return after the 13 Feb 

• Like 1