Cozumel ~ Been there, done that, to many times

Anyislandwilldo

Carnival changed our itinerary to include yet another stop in Cozumel.Ā  Looking for something interesting to do.Ā  We did the trikes, did an island tour, volunteered at the Humane Society, snorkeledĀ  and just walked around the port.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Tell me some of your fun times in Cozumel.....thanks!

Rent a car and drive to the "back side" of the island.Ā  It's so beautiful and remote!Ā  Stopped for a drink at a beachside bar.

Ā 

We also once did an ATV excursion which was fun.

Edited by CeleBrat
  • Like 3

Hire a driver from Tours Plaza. They have a whole list of interesting spots - we've done a chocolate making tour, and one for tequila. They'll take you shopping or anywhere else you want. Lunch on the East Sidel. It varies by how long you want (rates are by the hour), I think we paid ~200 (plus tip) for four hours. We had the same driver both times, super nice and speaks English like he was born in Ohio. Highly recommended!Ā 

• Like 2

I echo heading to the other side of the island. We rented a jeep and drove over. It was wonderfully secluded, with beautiful scenery. There are a few beach restaurants along the way. Keep in mind that you're going a bit off the beaten path so there are no gas stations, atm's, etc so plan accordingly before heading over.Ā 

Ā 

One of the stops we made was at the San Gervasio Archaeological site. If you've been to Mayan ruins on the Mexican mainland, these will pale in comparison, but it was still an enjoyable, easy stop, and not too far from the cruise terminal.Ā 

Ā 

Another time we were in Cozumel on a rainy day, we thoroughly enjoyed spending a few hours at the Cozumel History Museum. It's a tiny museum right at the waterfront in San Miguel, but full of great information about the island. We then asked for a recommendation for lunch "where the locals go", thinking that we'd get a local cuisine suggestion, but we were told to go to Guido's (an Italian restaurant not too far from the museum), and we had an absolutely fantastic lunch in a prettyĀ indoor courtyard void of cruise ship tourists. It was very enjoyable.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For something different I can recommend Cooking with Josefina, Cozumel Food Tour, Bar Hop,Ā Photo tour, Chankanaab or Punta Sur. We also use ToursPlaza for transport.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 9:42 AM, CeleBrat said:

Rent a car and drive to the "back side" of the island.Ā  It's so beautiful and remote!Ā  Stopped for a drink at a beachside bar.

Ā 

We also once did an ATV excursion which was fun.

What is the best rental agency--are they available at the cruise port?

The Bar Hop is a great time, but if you just want some good food and drinks downtown head to COZ Coffee roasting for a morning stop and Casa Denis for lunch.Ā  Hitting these exact stops when we're there in 6 weeks, great people, service and very relaxing!

On 10/21/2021 at 10:42 PM, cocod08 said:

I second the Bar hop so much fun and a great way to visit the other side of the island with out having to worry about driving. So many bars and not enough timeĀ 

We actually decided to do it once again.Ā  (x4 now). Wanted to take some Cozumel newbies to the other side and $57pp isn't much different from what a private car service would cost.Ā 

• Like 1

Take a cab to THE MONEY BAR BEACH CLUB.Ā Ā Ā There are so many options.Ā  You can sit in a lounger in the sand.Ā  You can rent snorkel equipment and walk into the water and snorkel.Ā  There is an open air thatched roof bar/restaurant.Ā  And you can even get a massage.Ā  All of it is pay as you go and the food was wonderful.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:16 PM, kdpatte said:

Take a cab to THE MONEY BAR BEACH CLUB.Ā Ā Ā There are so many options.Ā  You can sit in a lounger in the sand.Ā  You can rent snorkel equipment and walk into the water and snorkel.Ā  There is an open air thatched roof bar/restaurant.Ā  And you can even get a massage.Ā  All of it is pay as you go and the food was wonderful.

Looks like an interesting place.Ā  Essentially the beach bar of the hotel?Ā  Ā How are the prices for food/drinks and massages?

I don't know if they are doing it now, but a couple years ago our family (six of us, in all different stages of fitness) did the "Amazing Race Cozumel" and HAD A BLAST! They had us going all over the place, including a short boat ride, and finished with a fun meal and awards. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, D C said:

Good enough that we've done it 3x šŸ™‚

Ā 

I have yet to do this. It is definitely on the top of my list for next time. I love your post because it shows just how much fun Cozumel is. I'm beyond sick of hearing about "I've been there a few times. I'm bored."