Sea conditions in September from NYC to Montreal

bobolz

Looking fir any advice regarding weather and sea conditions fir those who have traveled on a cruise in September from NYC to Montreal. We have one scheduled next year and was concerned about sailing conditions since that is right at peak of hurricane season. I would assume this does not deter the cruise lines or passengers since it appears to be a popular time to travel this region. 

thanks for any advice 

• Like 1

Haven't been that route but have taken plenty of transatlantic cruises in September and later in the year. I'm scheduled to go transatlantic in January, which is probably the roughest time.

I have been on voyages in September, that were rough and calm its kind of a gamble with the sea. Best advice I can give is stay in the center of the ship if bothered by a lot of motion, and avoid greasy foods during rough sea days.

When I first started cruising I would get nervous on bad sea days,  now I actually look forward to it as an adventure and part of being out on the open ocean. Can sleep like a baby when the ship is rocking back and forth.

56 minutes ago, bobolz said:

Looking fir any advice regarding weather and sea conditions fir those who have traveled on a cruise in September from NYC to Montreal. We have one scheduled next year and was concerned about sailing conditions since that is right at peak of hurricane season. I would assume this does not deter the cruise lines or passengers since it appears to be a popular time to travel this region. 

thanks for any advice 

While hurricane season doesn't deter cruise lines from scheduling these itineraries nor passengers from booking these cruises, if there is storm threating your ship's planned voyage it can result in a last minute change in itinerary .

As for sea conditions, your guess is as good as mine. I've taken a number of cruises from NY to Atlantic Canada, although not to Montreal, at that time of the year and sometimes seas are calm, sometimes seas are rough. There no way to predict what conditions will be for your cruise.

I have sailed from Québec to Boston this time of year with Norwegian Cruise Line. Nothing noticeable.  I have sailed from Blanc-Sablon to St. Barbe, across the Strait of Belle Isle, this time of year with Labrador Marine (and a very few--not many--cruise lines may sail this way on Canadian cruises), and the main issue has been ice . . . but you would certainly not encounter ice in September (when there is ice, the port at St. Barbe closes and vessels are diverted to Corner Brook). I have also sailed a few times from Port-aux-Basques to North Sydney, across the Cabot Strait, this time of year with Marine Atlantic, and there have been a few times when crossing have been annulled on account of storms and rough seas, not necessarily hurricanes, most typically October through March. I have been fortunate in all crossings having been fairly calm. As well I have sailed the St. Lawrence River and Gulf many times on a variety of vessels and operators (the smallest of which being a rather compact hydrofoil), both along its length and across its width, again mostly in autumn, and never any adverse weather conditions. But there my personal experiences; yours may vary.

9 hours ago, bobolz said:

thanks for any advice 

Bobolz,

We are scheduled on the QM2 Sept 23rd NYC-NYC (Quebec) 14 day will research the weather and sea conditions when time approaches.

We have done these sailings over several decades on the QE2 and Caronia and enjoyed the sailings and dealt with the conditions at the time. Later on the line introduced sailings in September & October as Fall Foliage Cruise 7 or 14 day in length.

There is a Roll Call in progress for the sailing on September 23rd if you wish to participate in the future. Many subject may be discussed including this one.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, bobolz said:

I would assume this does not deter the cruise lines or passengers since it appears to be a popular time to travel this region. 

Also worth considering that, while the first few days you will be in open seas and anything can happen, if going all the way to Montreal there is a good portion of your cruise that will be in the sheltered waters of the St Lawrence which tends to be calm (at least by the standards of what a medium sized cruise ship can handle). And a lot of those itineraries overnight in Quebec City so theres potentially a night you wont be moving at all. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies . Hoping I get the smoother ride like some of you experienced, but based on your responses, this should be a good time to go. I’m looking forward to our cruise. Wish it could be tomorrow 😜

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, bobolz said:

Thank you everyone for your replies . Hoping I get the smoother ride like some of you experienced, but based on your responses, this should be a good time to go. I’m looking forward to our cruise. Wish it could be tomorrow 😜

So...how were the seas?  Some of us are on a similar cruise in the fall of 2022

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

So...how were the seas?  Some of us are on a similar cruise in the fall of 2022

With time available after taking care of parents for several decades, we are looking forward to extended sailings. We were once thinking of and may take advantage in the future a BNB. Back to Back Trans Atlantic. 

But my DW wants sailings so you can get off at ports and see interesting sights. I agree. That is why are repeating this sailing like the one in the past on the QE2. We truly enjoyed it and Canada is great.

Our first choice of course would be a extended Caribbean we loved in the past so much.