MSC Concerns

Susan in Maine

My friend and I are booked on the Divina next April. We booked it because it sails out of Port Canaveral and their private island.

For reference, I've sailed on Carnival, Princess, Disney and Royal Caribbean (my favorite). My friend has done Carnival and RCL.

After reading these boards, I have a couple of concerns. 1) Seemingly random reassignment of cabins. 2) quality of the food. I understand the MSC experience is different than the other US mainstream lines, and I'm looking forward to it. However, if the food isn't very good, I can stick with Carnival! And I love the cabin we've got and wouldn't be happy with that changing.

So........how concerned should I be about these issues? Should I stick with MSC or look for another cruise?

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

My friend and I are booked on the Divina next April. We booked it because it sails out of Port Canaveral and their private island.

For reference, I've sailed on Carnival, Princess, Disney and Royal Caribbean (my favorite). My friend has done Carnival and RCL.

After reading these boards, I have a couple of concerns. 1) Seemingly random reassignment of cabins. 2) quality of the food. I understand the MSC experience is different than the other US mainstream lines, and I'm looking forward to it. However, if the food isn't very good, I can stick with Carnival! And I love the cabin we've got and wouldn't be happy with that changing.

So........how concerned should I be about these issues? Should I stick with MSC or look for another cruise?

Thanks!

Well I'm sure you got a really good rate, so you should try it out.   There's one thing I learned in my ordeal when they switched my room and talking to some agents afterwards, was that about the time I paid in full for my booking that's the time they switched my room.  That's a nugget, so after you pay in full I would call a few times a week or two after just to make sure you still have the same room if you want.  

My only other Cruise line is Disney other than MSC and Disney's food was light years better,. It's hard for anyone to match it from my angle but peel and eat shrimp and jonas crab claws on the buffet at lunch like Disney has blew my socks off.   The food is average to above average, you'll see some menus  in my off Meraviglia Sept 25 post plus some information about the food.  We usually buy a restaurant plan before we get on the boat and all those have always been great.  The butcher's cut filet and sushi on Mera were great! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sojodave said:

If your concerned about food in the main dining room, get a specialty package. The food is great and it's pretty reasonable. 

No one should have to buy a speciality food package, the food should be as good anywhere on the ship, either that or they should lower the prices.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been on five other cruise lines and consider MSC to be a good value. There are some things that are different- not necessarily bad. The biggest problem is that they seem, even before the pandemic, to not have their act together with their website and customer service before the trip. On board, I had great experiences (four sailings) with the staff and those at the CS desk.

To be honest, I think a number of things have changed on all cruise lines since the pandemic. The cruise lines are bleeding money and looking for little ways to save money.

After a MSC Med cruise, I would likely not do a sailing in Europe again.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I've been on five other cruise lines and consider MSC to be a good value. There are some things that are different- not necessarily bad. The biggest problem is that they seem, even before the pandemic, to not have their act together with their website and customer service before the trip. On board, I had great experiences (four sailings) with the staff and those at the CS desk.

Just got off Meraviglia in the Yacht Club and was one of the best experiences I've had on any ship, food and service. I will agree with you 100% that they do need to do something about the website and their communication with guests about changes to itineraries. They changed our itinerary from day 1and if you didn't notice the information on your Daily or the small sign at the Concierge desk you wouldn't have known. This affected out excursion at the private island, had to switch from Sunday to Thursday. Ate in the YC dining room about 90% of the time and when we did grab something at the Market Place Buffet it was very good. Did not eat in the MDR so can't comment on that. The room service food was very good also. Room service pizza was amazing. Freshly baked pie, not from the buffet, was baked when you ordered it, took about 30 min. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP: My best piece of advice is that you give MSC a try so that you can create your own opinion. I didn't fully understand what MSC was about until I sailed on them and I got to experience what they had to offer. I personally consider their overall product to be somewhere between Carnival and Royal Caribbean but with a European vibe which I love. MSC's larger ships like the Meraviglia have the "wow" factor that you find on larger Royal Caribbean ships. 

The two comments below show how subjective opinions can be.

10 hours ago, CampNCruise74 said:

My only other Cruise line is Disney other than MSC and Disney's food was light years better

We found the food on Disney to be OK, and at par with cruise lines that charge a fraction of their prices. They do have some of the best and most polished service we've ever experienced at sea, and their rotating restaurant concept is unique, but we found the food quality and taste to fall short of the hype. 

As far as MSC's food goes, we appreciate the varied selection at the Marketplace (buffet) which has everything from your  basics, to selections catering to a more international clientele (yes, there are some items that may not appeal to everybody, but that's part of the reason why I enjoy MSC since I get to sample new things). At the MDR, I find their offerings to be at par with other mass market cruise lines. 

13 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Sailing MSC in the Mediterranean was a wonderful experience for us. We had sailed MSC once before in the Caribbean and we found the MSC experience in the Mediterranean to be far superior. In fact, to this day its been one of the best family cruises that we've taken. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well the OP is not in the YC, the experience can (likely will) be different.  I do agree that the cruiselines are trying to establish a "new normal" in terms of offerings.  We found the food on Divina to be mediocre to poor in terms of quality and handling.  The handling was most likely due to this being the 2nd sailing back (for example, the english muffin on the Eggs Benedict had not been toasted).  The quality, however, was a combination of the cruiseline trying to save money and - likely - the state of distribution of the food channel right now.  Seafood prices are through the roof, items are shorted weekly from the broadliners, and it's hard to get product.

For an experience next April I'd be optimistic that the BOH would be operating at a much higher level, however continuing to use a lower grade product.  That's just the nature of the offering right now.  That extra $800-$1000 (or more) you'd pay on Disney or Celebrity certainly allows more for food costs.

For the price it can't be beat and it's worth a try.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

2) quality of the food. I understand the MSC experience is different than the other US mainstream lines, and I'm looking forward to it. However, if the food isn't very good, I can stick with Carnival! And I love the cabin we've got and wouldn't be happy with that changing.

This is my opinion.

Food quality is important to me on a cruise ship.

I will not cruise on Carnival or NCL because, among other reasons,  I find the food to range from inedible  to barely passable.

MSC food, on the other hand, has had food that is good to excellent.

However, this is a rating that depends on the food sophistication of the cruiser.

Those who depend on the Olive Garden or Pizza Hut for quasi Italian food will be disappointed.

Those who can not bring themselves to make selections beyond  hamburgers and fries in the buffet and not try the international selection of food available will find food choices to be limited.

The MDR food has always been, at minimum, good.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Those who depend on the Olive Garden or Pizza Hut for quasi Italian food will be disappointed.

Hey...I like those restaurants 🙂

j/k...very funny statement and I agree 100%.

I will add that many seem to require salt and pepper on their food. Personally, I thought the food was seasoned perfectly, but I sailed with a few who needed that.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Hey...I like those restaurants 🙂

j/k...very funny statement and I agree 100%.

I will add that many seem to require salt and pepper on their food. Personally, I thought the food was seasoned perfectly, but I sailed with a few who needed that.

I brought my own salt and pepper because people insisted that the food was consistently underseasoned.

I didn't use them once.

Food is so subjective - it's almost useless asking for or offering opinions.

I'm not a chain restaurant diner. I loathe them, actually. We eat out a few times per year, because we enjoy fine dining - Michelin star dining.  Other than that - I am a passionate home cook and cook from scratch at least twice a day, every day.  We love food.

We found the food to be Good, most often Very Good, and occasionally Excellent.

We were YC, but intentionally ate all over the ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 10/9/2021 at 8:25 PM, Susan in Maine said:

Thanks!

Their island is beautiful. You room may or may not change. The food is terrible compared to other lines. Boring and full of filler.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Hello and Welcome Susan in Maine!

We have actually sailed MSC many times and have two booked for Nov. and Dec. this year...ask specific questions and share what foods/restaurants that you like and Several here will give their experience as comparisons.

Plus, if you just discuss with your head waiter in the main dining room, what your seasoning preferences are...you will be amazed at how hard they will try to please👍

One night there was nothing on the menu that really sounded good, I told my table mates that I would just go by the buffet later and get something...the assistant waiter must have heard, as the head waiter came over and asked what sounded good...I said laughing, well some lamb chops would be awesome...Bam...took a bit but I got a plate...I think he got them from Yacht Club or Butchers Cut...did not ask...smile, be respectful, ask nicely without expectations...your experience in life will be much better.

Interesting that there are several replies recently on several threads; by folks that do not seem to have actually sailed MSC🧐🤔😯 

Plus Monster Joe is correct, food tastes are crazy subjective...

Unless they share their likes and dislikes of restaurants that are known in USA, then there is no point of comparison.

I do not like licorice but do enjoy caviar and sushi...others hate those tastes...each to their own.

If you have traveled in Europe and liked the food...you know exactly what to expect with MSC.

As to the cabin assignment, what experience did you buy?

You will get that or better...the location due to Covid and capacities/sell through are in flux. Time in your cabin is usually just for sleep, bathroom stuff, changing...

Have sailed many times on MSC and never experienced 'random cabin assignments', but like airlines, hotels, cruise ships, etc...things do change...be flexible...travel is Awesome!

I toured yacht club, but have never booked it, as I prefer to travel more per year and spend less on the room/fluff service...again each to their own...another example: I do not take a limo to the port, Lift or shuttle...I also do not fly 1st class...but do enjoy when I get a comp upgrade😃.

Ask away, Cheers!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

To be honest, I think a number of things have changed on all cruise lines since the pandemic. The cruise lines are bleeding money and looking for little ways to save money.

I would like to hear more about your med Cruise if possible on MSC.  We were thinking about in a few years when our kids get older taking them on one of those.   What was your experience and how is it different from stateside msc? Thanks,

1 hour ago, NMsunset said:

Hello and Welcome Susan in Maine!

We have actually sailed MSC many times and have two booked for Nov. and Dec. this year...ask specific questions and share what foods/restaurants that you like and Several here will give their experience as comparisons.

Plus, if you just discuss with your head waiter in the main dining room, what your seasoning preferences are...you will be amazed at how hard they will try to please👍

One night there was nothing on the menu that really sounded good, I told my table mates that I would just go by the buffet later and get something...the assistant waiter must have heard, as the head waiter came over and asked what sounded good...I said laughing, well some lamb chops would be awesome...Bam...took a bit but I got a plate...I think he got them from Yacht Club or Butchers Cut...did not ask...smile, be respectful, ask nicely without expectations...your experience in life will be much better.

Interesting that there are several replies recently on several threads; by folks that do not seem to have actually sailed MSC🧐🤔😯 

Plus Monster Joe is correct, food tastes are crazy subjective...

Unless they share their likes and dislikes of restaurants that are known in USA, then there is no point of comparison.

I do not like licorice but do enjoy caviar and sushi...others hate those tastes...each to their own.

If you have traveled in Europe and liked the food...you know exactly what to expect with MSC.

As to the cabin assignment, what experience did you buy?

You will get that or better...the location due to Covid and capacities/sell through are in flux. Time in your cabin is usually just for sleep, bathroom stuff, changing...

Have sailed many times on MSC and never experienced 'random cabin assignments', but like airlines, hotels, cruise ships, etc...things do change...be flexible...travel is Awesome!

I toured yacht club, but have never booked it, as I prefer to travel more per year and spend less on the room/fluff service...again each to their own...another example: I do not take a limo to the port, Lift or shuttle...I also do not fly 1st class...but do enjoy when I get a comp upgrade😃.

Ask away, Cheers!

This was so true about above and beyond how the employees go to satisfy a guest.  I was in the main buffet one day and there was a guy that requested, and after waiting a little while received, the green ice cream that they serve in the sushi restaurant.   It's got a special name and flavor, but I forget and it is good.  We were dining in that restaurant the night before so I recognized it when they brought it out to him.  Pretty cool.

5 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

This was so true about above and beyond how the employees go to satisfy a guest.  I was in the main buffet one day and there was a guy that requested, and after waiting a little while received, the green ice cream that they serve in the sushi restaurant.   It's got a special name and flavor, but I forget and it is good.  We were dining in that restaurant the night before so I recognized it when they brought it out to him.  Pretty cool.

Green tea flavored?

8 hours ago, CampNCruise74 said:

I would like to hear more about your med Cruise if possible on MSC.  We were thinking about in a few years when our kids get older taking them on one of those.   What was your experience and how is it different from stateside msc? Thanks,

We were on the Grandiosa in the Med in November, 2019. First, it is a beautiful ship but the cool weather forced all the 6,200 passengers inside making it very crowded in the common areas. I love Europe and Europeans but 90-95% of the passengers spoke a language other than English. One-third of the passengers were from mainland China. We enjoy socializing with fellow passengers and there was none of that. The experience was like being in Bizzaroland where no one looked at one another or greeted anyone. It was like being invisible.

MSC runs their cruises more like train stops so you have new passengers coming onboard at each port. So, you always have a new group of very confused people onboard. 

There are also many children onboard. MSC often gives children free passage. The parents tote their kids around in HUGE strollers, making a crowded ship very difficult for maneuvering. In the venues offering dancing, people were tripping and falling over the kids on the dance floor.  The ship's planner didn't anticipate that some of their restaurants and bars would be dead while others were packed. 

We always like to check where our table will be while we are touring the ship after boarding. When we arrived for dinner, we discovered that our placement had been moved to a single table next to the kitchen. That is when we noted that the entire restaurant had been given to the Chinese tour group.  After we complained, we were moved to another dining room with English speaking guests. That worked out just fine. 

We have lots of experience on MSC since we are Black Diamond status. We also have traveled in Europe very extensively and don't expect everyone to speak English.

I contrast the MSC western Med. experience to a sailing on the NCL Spirit right after this one on MSC. The Spirit visited the eastern Med and Israel. The ship was older, but charming and not crowded. Most passengers spoke English, smiled, and it was a very pleasant experience. 

So, we had two very different experiences: a cruise line that caters to Europeans and one that seems to attract more English speaking passengers. On future European cruises, I would select a line that is within my comfort zone (not MSC.) I have two MSC Caribbean cruises lined up, so I still appreciate MSC. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

I brought my own salt and pepper because people insisted that the food was consistently underseasoned.

I didn't use them once.

Food is so subjective - it's almost useless asking for or offering opinions.

I'm not a chain restaurant diner. I loathe them, actually. We eat out a few times per year, because we enjoy fine dining - Michelin star dining.  Other than that - I am a passionate home cook and cook from scratch at least twice a day, every day.  We love food.

We found the food to be Good, most often Very Good, and occasionally Excellent.

We were YC, but intentionally ate all over the ship.

You nailed it and described me to a “T”.  We never frequent chain restaurants and if I’m going out for dinner or any meal it better be as good or better than I make at home. 
I too am a from scratch (recipe developer not follower) cook

I stopped listening to negative food reviews when one time while vacationing in Mexico at a high end resort I overheard 2 ladies in the restroom talking about the Mexican food at the resort not being as good as what they eat at Taco Bell lol

It is what it is but I feel sorry for people who aren’t willing to explore outside of the “chain restaurant food”  box. 

We enjoyed our meals on MSC Divina in 2019 much more than the food we have eaten on other mass market cruise lines in the past.
We were in YC so that may be the reason but we’re sailing in Nov on Divina (not in YC) so we shall see if there is a big difference. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We were on the Grandiosa in the Med in November, 2019. First, it is a beautiful ship but the cool weather forced all the 6,200 passengers inside making it very crowded in the common areas. I love Europe and Europeans but 90-95% of the passengers spoke a language other than English. One-third of the passengers were from mainland China. We enjoy socializing with fellow passengers and there was none of that. The experience was like being in Bizzaroland where no one looked at one another or greeted anyone. It was like being invisible.

MSC runs their cruises more like train stops so you have new passengers coming onboard at each port. So, you always have a new group of very confused people onboard. 

There are also many children onboard. MSC often gives children free passage. The parents tote their kids around in HUGE strollers, making a crowded ship very difficult for maneuvering. In the venues offering dancing, people were tripping and falling over the kids on the dance floor.  The ship's planner didn't anticipate that some of their restaurants and bars would be dead while others were packed. 

We always like to check where our table will be while we are touring the ship after boarding. When we arrived for dinner, we discovered that our placement had been moved to a single table next to the kitchen. That is when we noted that the entire restaurant had been given to the Chinese tour group.  After we complained, we were moved to another dining room with English speaking guests. That worked out just fine. 

We have lots of experience on MSC since we are Black Diamond status. We also have traveled in Europe very extensively and don't expect everyone to speak English.

I contrast the MSC western Med. experience to a sailing on the NCL Spirit right after this one on MSC. The Spirit visited the eastern Med and Israel. The ship was older, but charming and not crowded. Most passengers spoke English, smiled, and it was a very pleasant experience. 

So, we had two very different experiences: a cruise line that caters to Europeans and one that seems to attract more English speaking passengers. On future European cruises, I would select a line that is within my comfort zone (not MSC.) I have two MSC Caribbean cruises lined up, so I still appreciate MSC. 

Thank you for that input.  I have noticed that kind of train stop feature around the med that they do which is definitely different and I'll make sure to book for a warm weather time if possible!  

Thanks everyone for your responses.

What restaurants do I like? My favorites are locally owned with the chef/owner in the house. Olive Garden is definitely NOT Italian food! One of my favorite things about cruising is the opportunity to try new food!

My concern about our cabin being changed comes from snagging one with an extended balcony! And while I know many of you don't spend much time in your cabin, I enjoy the quiet of my own space, and reading out on the balcony. I run a convenience store, so have to interact with a lot of people everyday. One of my favorite things about cruising is that you can be social. Or not. (especially the not)

I love new experiences - that's one of the reasons I love to cruise. This will be my 16th. I really am "it's vacation! Don't sweat the small stuff and almost everything is small stuff" kind of person. However, it will probably be at least 2 years after this before I can cruise again, so I want to be very sure of my choices.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Food is so subjective. We've been on the Divina twice and had no problem with the food, not even counting the pizza, which is by far the best at sea. We love MSC so much that we're booked on the Seashore for next May. If you look at my signature, or expand it, you'll find that we've been on all the mainstream lines except HAL.

12 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

Thanks everyone for your responses.

What restaurants do I like? My favorites are locally owned with the chef/owner in the house. Olive Garden is definitely NOT Italian food! One of my favorite things about cruising is the opportunity to try new food!

My concern about our cabin being changed comes from snagging one with an extended balcony! And while I know many of you don't spend much time in your cabin, I enjoy the quiet of my own space, and reading out on the balcony. I run a convenience store, so have to interact with a lot of people everyday. One of my favorite things about cruising is that you can be social. Or not. (especially the not)

I love new experiences - that's one of the reasons I love to cruise. This will be my 16th. I really am "it's vacation! Don't sweat the small stuff and almost everything is small stuff" kind of person. However, it will probably be at least 2 years after this before I can cruise again, so I want to be very sure of my choices.

Again, thanks for all your help.

I lost my extended cabin on 9/25 too.  Granted, I didn't stick around the see if they would rebook us in one, because we decided to upgrade to YC.

Speaking of that - while this doesn't apply to your question, I thought it was interesting what you wrote about the food you like because I explained the YC restaurant food/menu quality to my friends as "Well regarded local suburban chef owned restaurant"

Edited by MonsterJoe

I was worried about the re-assignment of cabins as well, I'm glad I read about it here because I originally had two connecting cabins booked for next summer. I changed it to the Super Family cabin type which is a guarantee of two connecting balcony cabins. Even though I can't pick the area of the ship I'm glad knowing that we won't be split up. So, +1 for the usefulness of this board!

• Like 1