PCL ships Covid cases so far & pax capacity during cruises

PRNole47

I nosed around on the CDC website and couldn't find any data.  This somewhat stale news article explains why:

27 cruise ships have reported COVID-19 infections. Why can’t we find out how many? (msn.com)

However, I did find a CDC report on the actual danger of breakthrough cases amongst vaccinated people.

COVID-19 Breakthrough Case Investigations and Reporting | CDC

"As of October 4, 2021, more than 185 million people in the United States had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

During the same time, CDC received reports from 50 U.S. states and territories of 30,177 patients with COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infection who were hospitalized or died."

Make of it what you will.

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 8:22 AM, hunt182644 said:

4 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

For sailings from the USA, current CDC regulations require that ships sail at no more than 60% capacity.

Do you know how long those guidelines are in effect? I will be thrilled if my Nov cruise is sailing at 60%. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I nosed around on the CDC website and couldn't find any data.  This somewhat stale news article explains why:

Make of it what you will.

Yeah, I had already seen those articles. I was hoping someone with more dedication than I have would have seen informal, onboard reports by pax aboard various ships re. their unofficial and informal knowledge about onboard infections. Thanks for the effort otherwise.

• Like 1

Just now, Buckeye10640 said:

Do you know how long those guidines are in effect? I will be thrilled if my Nov cruise is sailing at 60%. 

When I spoke with a rep yesterday, she said at least until the end of the year, but wouldn't be surprised if it was extended at some point. We sail in November too, so at least we'll get to experience a smaller crowd on at least one sailing. We sail again in January, and will have to wait to see what the norm is by then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

When I spoke with a rep yesterday, she said at least until the end of the year, but wouldn't be surprised if it was extended at some point. We sail in November too, so at least we'll get to experience a smaller crowd on at least one sailing. We sail again in January, and will have to wait to see what the norm is by then.

Thanks for this information

Cheers

16 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The current CDC Conditional Sail Order (CSO) expires on October 31st.  Anything beyond that date is voluntary by the cruise line. 

We are all waiting to see if the CSO is extended?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

Yeah, I had already seen those articles. I was hoping someone with more dedication than I have would have seen informal, onboard reports by pax aboard various ships re. their unofficial and informal knowledge about onboard infections. Thanks for the effort otherwise.

You're welcome.  

Case counts

It's very apparent that individual cruise lines are keeping those numbers under wraps, including Princess, but if it's to be believed the CLIA the international association of cruise lines put out in a statement when the passenger restart got to the 250,00 mark worldwide that they said the reported total of onboard Covid cases for the 250,00 was 146, obviously that number represents only the detected cases, one would logically assume, that a additional number went undetected and-or developed symptoms after disembarking, specially after so many 3 and 4 day short cruises across the world that has marked the restart with the  high passenger turnover where onboard symptoms don't have time to manifest.

Don't recall if that number included crew or just passengers, 146 IMO is a shocking low number, and if accurate is testament to the ongoing protocols

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, srpilo said:

Case counts

It's very apparent that individual cruise lines are keeping those numbers under wraps, including Princess, but if it's to be believed the CLIA the international association of cruise lines put out in a statement when the passenger restart got to the 250,00 mark worldwide that they said the reported total of onboard Covid cases for the 250,00 was 146, obviously that number represents only the detected cases, one would logically assume, that a additional number went undetected and-or developed symptoms after disembarking, specially after so many 3 and 4 day short cruises across the world that has marked the restart with the  high passenger turnover where onboard symptoms don't have time to manifest.

Don't recall if that number included crew or just passengers, 146 IMO is a shocking low number, and if accurate is testament to the ongoing protocols

If my math is correct, that's 0.0005 percent.

I wonder if they even have a target number?

• Thanks 1

We are curious about on board infection rates too! 

Now that PCL will test on board on longer cruises (15 + day & Panama cruises)  We are wondering what the odds are that we could become exposed/infected (breakthrough cases as we are vaccinated) on our 15 day January cruise.  We are coming up on final payment due-date next week and are not sure if we should take the chance that our trip is cut short because of exposure after we set sail... 

26 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

Now that PCL will test on board on longer cruises (15 + day & Panama cruises)  We are wondering what the odds are that we could become exposed/infected (breakthrough cases as we are vaccinated) on our 15 day January cruise.  We are coming up on final payment due-date next week and are not sure if we should take the chance that our trip is cut short because of exposure after we set sail... 

IMO, if you have serious concerns then you will probably be stressed out during your cruise and it will not be enjoyable.   

We are vaccinated (including the booster) and we are more than ready to cruise!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

If you are vaccinated and get the booster the risk should be as low as possible. My biggest concern is Hawaii causing the cruise to be canceled but if so maybe they will change it to some Mexico and Coastal cruises. This cruise seems to have a plethora of Oregonians  We are hoping to watch it sail out of dry dock next weekend

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, srpilo said:

I don't find such a number shocking at all.  With virtually everyone vaccinated and partially full ships, what else would we expect? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't find such a number shocking at all.  With virtually everyone vaccinated and partially full ships, what else would we expect? 

Just got back from a river cruise in Central Europe and our pax load was 65 out of 170 max capacity. It was great!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

We are coming up on final payment due-date next week and are not sure if we should take the chance that our trip is cut short because of exposure after we set sail... 

It is extremely unlikely that the cruise would be cut short if some cases of Covid are detected during the cruise.

More likely is that those affected will be quarantined in one of the cabins reserved for that purpose or disembarked to a hospital if their condition required, but the cruise would continue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

With the vaccine requirements, the testing requires, the length of most cruises, other protective measures, the number seems reasonable. 

We will not know the exist number until some media outlet such as the Miami Herald decides to file a FOI request with the CDC and gets the actual reported numbers (not unlike what they did with crew cases after the shutdown).

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

True ...  IMO the problem though is not just onboard, and partial capacity, if there's any real problem, it is that you have port stops and shore excursions where practically the entire ship mixes with a new untested local population with unknown vaccination rates, or worse, already infected individuals, and as the saying goes.. "It only takes one"

But, I guess the statistic don't lie, and cruising seems to have the formula to make it work.

Edited by srpilo