Missing the ''travel section '' this rainy Sunday morning ,how about you.

Rainy dreary Sunday morning here, all my life I loved News papers and the Sunday paper in particular . For a variety of reasons I do not buy them anymore ,but on some Sunday's I really miss the Travel section . As a young person in the 70s it was great to read and dream about the amazing trips others lived and wrote about. News papers deserve the doom they face and even though I am part of putting them under I do miss those days. How about you, did your local paper have good travel section (mine did)  and I do miss it but not enough to bail them out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

Rainy dreary Sunday morning here, all my life I loved News papers and the Sunday paper in particular . For a variety of reasons I do not buy them anymore ,but on some Sunday's I really miss the Travel section . As a young person in the 70s it was great to read and dream about the amazing trips others lived and wrote about. News papers deserve the doom they face and even though I am part of putting them under I do miss those days. How about you, did your local paper have good travel section (mine did)  and I do miss it but not enough to bail them out. 

Noooo kidding !!😞 I especially miss it because the travel section of the Atlanta newspaper was were I  found the ad from a brick travel agency on the north side of the city advertising cruises  going out Florida ports wayyyyyy back in 1986. Which was my introduction too and when I fell in love with cruising. I had booked one, for my DH and on NCL but she backed out at the last second. The next year she said she still wasn't interested in going on one so I booked a solo for me. I knew then I was on to something.! LOVED it.

Mac

That is one of the problems for the travel section is the lack of ad's . For something like 50 years one of the biggest travel company's bought the back page of the big Phila. paper and the New York Times travel section . They no longer do which makes the section smaller and less relevant . I can see why they do not buy ad's because very few people buy a paper. This viscous circle is a huge hill to climb for papers they will fail because the people in charge do not know business and are to bogged down in P.C. politics.

• Like 1

I never was one to browse the travel section in newspapers, but my parents always did. These days you can find many travel articles online that are also published in the major papers if you search. I have spent many a happy evening ready articles on various destinations of interest, from dream trips (a personalized tour of Egypt with a private guide) to things I actually have planned such as what to plan for a week in London -- current plays, museum exhibits, etc. 

Online articles generally include more photos (and of better quality) which also makes me like that medium more.

I also enjoy just a good old-fashioned travelogue in the form of a book. There are some really great reads out there that whetted my appetite for new places or just allowed me to learn more about places I've already been.

It seems that newspapers’ business people have been shaving costs continually in search of profitability (a necessary goal), but they are very close to the edge of simply not offering enough to attract purchasers .

The NY Times have largely abandoned travel writing.  Years ago they stopped printing TV and radio listings, and generally seem to see themselves primarily as the wise arbiters of our larger society (building on their Taste-Makers self image of years past)—- more a political pamphlet than a true news journal.   Their front page nowadays seems edited by their political rather than news departments.  Much of what they print is valid and well written, but I think they have strayed too far from the broad attraction needed for long term survival.  

As far as I am concerned their special features:  crossword puzzle, Ken Ken and Two Not Touch are all that they provide of any value not available elsewhere at lower cost.

I have had a newspaper subscription since 1978.  Everyday I pick up the paper on my driveway and head over to the local coffee shop to read it and do some of the puzzles.

To be honest I do not recall ever reading the Travel Section.  It just never interested me,  To be even more honest, as much as I love cruising, I have never been that crazy about travel.  To Mrs. XBGuy and me, cruising is about being at sea.

I had a 40-year career working in the IT industry.  I met my coffee shop buddy after retirement.  He brings his tablet device and reads from it while I flip through my fiber-based system.  Over the years, he has, more than once, asked me, "Tell me again.  What industry did you retire from?"

On rainy days, he gets to mock me as I wrestle with portions of my paper that get soaked,  On days when the coffee shop router is down, I get to point to my "proven technology."

Out here in the west, I'm missing the rain!  I wish I had a rainy Sunday morning.   

I can't remember the last time I read a printed newspaper.  But when I did, I enjoyed the travel section so I could dream of far away places.  

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

There are newspaper travel sections but they are on line instead of on paper.  I subscribe to the digital NY Times and there are lots of very interesting travel articles in there.

DON

I subscribe to the online Seattle Times and recently have re-subscribed to the NYT. They have plenty of travel pieces.

One issue with travel writing now is the lack of good reporting. It used to be that the writers were savvy travelers, giving unique insights into the world of travel. Now, many articles are written by young reporters who usually do their research online and just rehash what you and I already know.

The newspapers think their readers won't figure it out. I know this is true, because I occasionally write articles for professional journals and thought I would dip my toe into travel writing. On the other hand, a few magazines love to accept articles where the author receives no reimbursement. The world of publishing grows uglier every day. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, navybankerteacher said:

It seems that newspapers’ business people have been shaving costs continually in search of profitability (a necessary goal), but they are very close to the edge of simply not offering enough to attract purchasers .

Agree.

I grew up reading the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch's Sunday edition.  I thought it was a very good paper, particularly in comparison with my hometown's 6 day a week paper.  There was always a large travel section with ads and articles that whetted my desire to travel when I could.  

I am a long time subscriber to the Dayton (Ohio) Daily News.  I have watched it wither over the years to the point that the paper is now printed in Indianapolis, we get most Saturday's sports results on Sunday and most Sunday's sports results on Monday, with no travel section.  Monday's paper is predictably "thin" in news, but "thick" with long articles that have some relevance to the issues of the day.  Each day's paper are full of ads (I do understand the need for that).  One recent improvement in the paper is an "Opinion and Views" page in the first section with a good list of columnists from the "Left and "Right", an Editorial piece (which has been missing for a very long time) on Sundays, and Letters to the Editor section at times.  

My paper has some staff members who do a good job of "investigative reporting".  Their reporting has led to some revealing information that has led to some positive changes both locally and on the State level.  If for no other reason, trying to keep the bureaucrats' and politicians' feet "close to the fire" is why I support my paper.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/5/2021 at 5:22 PM, George C said:

Loved getting the New York Times on Sunday when living in New York, also bought the daily news and some fresh bagels and rolls great way to spend your Sunday morning.

As only a true New Yorker would!!!

My NY Times was delivered to my door - on Sundays it was coffee, croissants or a bagel & NYT til noon w classical music....

I find teh Wall Street Journal Weekend section does a goood job w travel, style etc w special magazine a few times a year & yes I still read the NY TImes..... online is not the same but life changes...

• Like 1