Eu vat tax 21%

wesport

15 minutes ago, sadd48 said:

Do you mean to shore excursions, drinks, shop purchases?  Also did the Vat apply during your entire cruise outside of port?  Thanks.

Drinks, shop purchases, corkage fees, anything purchases during the entire cruise. Even during sea days. Not shore excursions.

It was in my cruise information although it didn´t apply to my cruise as we had Gibraltar as non EU port. But if you have an itinerary which as no non EU port you have to pay the VAT of the departure port which was Barcelona for your cruise - so you pay the 21% Spanish VAT.

steamboats

I knew about this wrinkle, but have never been able to find a list of the 'non-EU' stops that qualify – or figure out the logic of why some ports do qualify.  Gibraltar and St. Peter Port seem to have been getting the best of both worlds with some EU bennies (through UK) but the added port stops from being 'non-EU' ports.  Other ports that I think are on the list include Dubrovnik and Ephesus, although they are now unlikely stops for other reasons.  Is Malta a 'non-EU' port for VAT?

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I knew about this wrinkle, but have never been able to find a list of the 'non-EU' stops that qualify – or figure out the logic of why some ports do qualify.  Gibraltar and St. Peter Port seem to have been getting the best of both worlds with some EU bennies (through UK) but the added port stops from being 'non-EU' ports.  Other ports that I think are on the list include Dubrovnik and Ephesus, although they are now unlikely stops for other reasons.  Is Malta a 'non-EU' port for VAT?

All Turkish ports are non EU. Egypt and Israel are non EU (but currently no ships go there). Gibraltar is the only port currently used in the Western Med. Tunis is currently non used.

Dubrovnik (Croatia) and Malta are part of the EU - so both ports don´t help ;-).

And yes, when the cruise starts in Spain the VAT is applied for the whole duration of the cruise and not just when you´re in a Spanish port.

I saw the note regarding the VAT in the documents of my cruise (the first one of the Star Legend - Lisbon to Barcelona but I left in Málaga). But as I said we had Gibraltar as a port and therefore it did not apply. As for Spanish ports it usually then applies in port and within the 3 mile zone. But that´s just for Spanish ports when you have a non EU port on your itinerary.

This isn´t anything new. It´s up for years.

steamboats

On 10/12/2021 at 2:06 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ephesus in not unlikely. The Turkey issue has apparently been resolved and Turkish have been restored to the itineraries.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, milepig said:

We have a stop in Morocco, so no VAT added for the entire cruise?  

Currently there are no stops in Morocco. But if you´re  talking about a cruise later next year than yes, no VAT. Spain usually requires the VAT as soon as you enter the 3 mile zone and in port.

steamboats

5 hours ago, SailMaine said:

Would it apply to the Star Legend Transatlantic leaving out of Lisbon, with stops in Madeira and Canaries before Barbados? Hmmm...

No, it doesn´t apply to TA cruises. But Spain has claimed the VAT within the 3 mile zone and in port. So there might be a VAT added on the Canary Islands (but shops are not open in port and if you have a drink package you´re safe too).

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Currently there are no stops in Morocco. But if you´re  talking about a cruise later next year than yes, no VAT. Spain usually requires the VAT as soon as you enter the 3 mile zone and in port.

steamboats

There are. 2 days for us on the Legend later this month. 

8 hours ago, milepig said:

There are. 2 days for us on the Legend later this month. 

I doubt that as the ports are not open yet. If you´re talking about Nov 12 from Barcelona to Lisbon, the itinerary has changed and there are no Moroccan ports (Tanger / Casablanca) on the itinerary anymore.

steamboats

13 hours ago, steamboats said:

I doubt that as the ports are not open yet. If you´re talking about Nov 12 from Barcelona to Lisbon, the itinerary has changed and there are no Moroccan ports (Tanger / Casablanca) on the itinerary anymore.

steamboats

Look like your’e right. WS never notified us!!

Edited by milepig

• 2 weeks later...

On the legend now. The stop in Gibraltar exception works only if you’re in port for 10+ hours and we’re there for only 5. It was not charged out of Athens due to some Greek policies that I didn’t fully understand. 

the purser told me that it does not apply to anything prepaid in the states, so one more reason to buy the all inclusive package. If you change tours, VAT will be charged on that since the new tour is considered a purchase. 

• Like 1