Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 42

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, October 11 and Sunday, October 17.

The weather is changing. A good time to get the camera out and shoot some shareable photos!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

My husband and I hiked to Catawba Falls in the North Carolina mountains on our way to Asheville and the Biltmore House. Due to heavy rain the previous week, the falls were full and roaring.

I thought the multiple fungus covered tree was interesting,

DSC05959.JPG

DSC06122.JPG

DSC06126.JPG

Edited by PurpleHays
  • Like 5

Saturday excursion to the wetlands...I had been specifically hoping to see three things that had been reported there over the past week - all things I've seen before, but not very often and always a privilege when I get the chance.

The first of the three things I was hoping to find were the ruby-throated hummingbirds, as they're seasonal and just started to pop up as they pass southwards into the Caribbean and South America.  Hummingbirds are particularly difficult when you don't have a feeder to shoot them by - I just need to find them naturally in the wild wetlands and forest, and they're so tiny that you can walk right by one and not know it.

The 2nd of the three things I was hoping to find was the return of the large and beautiful barred owl.  A month or two ago I had my first ever sighting of one, and reports were that he had returned to the wetlands again.

I managed to find two of the three...not bad, though I wish I could have found the 3rd of the three things - the bobcat who is pretty elusive and I had no luck finding it this weekend.

Anyway, here are some of the Saturday goodies:

Ruby-throated hummingbird:

original.jpg

Young raccoon:

original.jpg

Blue-grey gnatcatcher:

original.jpg

Barred owl:

original.jpg

Ruby-throated hummingbird, taking a short break:

original.jpg

Back in action again:

original.jpg

original.jpg

Back to the barred owl - super-closeup, staring back at me:

original.jpg

A cormorant cruising at the surface, fresh from a dive for fish:

original.jpg

• Like 3

Remember the pretty picture from a couple of weeks ago that featured a bunch of green avocados hanging on our tree? Well, the pitter-patter of ripe specimens has turned into a downpour. With the price of avocados skyrocketing due to “transitory inflation”, we feel like the Clampetts from The Beverly Hilbillies when oil bubbled up in their back yard when Jed was shootin’ at some food. We emptied this 24" bowl by gifting about 15 lbs. of soon-to-be ripe avos to friends only to refill it two days later. We are truly enjoying nature’s bounty and despite having avocado with pretty much every meal, we aren’t tired of them yet. Need ideas though. Maybe I’ll type “Things to do with avocados” into the search bar and roll the dice. What could possibly go wrong?

Avogeddon

826892513_2021-42Avogeddon.thumb.jpg.3e67fbaec8f342c2aa1daaa7b22a9df7.jpg

Dave

• Like 3