How to Get a Third Dose in Ontario

K_e_short

So for those that pay attention to my ranting and rambling (I hope it isn't a lot of you), I have Astra Zeneca and Pfizer as my 1st and 2nd doses.

We all know that means that no matter how many times we re read the rules, contact the CDC, quote research studies, etc. it means no cruising out of the U.S.

I had tried to get a 3rd shot in Montreal as others on here had been successful. I was not successful due to either not having actual proof of travel, staff cracking down on Ontarians getting a 3rd dose, or simply bad luck.

I decided to try something and it worked.

I made an appointment at my local Shoppers Drug Mart for my 2nd Pfizer dose.

I received my 2nd Pfizer dose.

I received an email confirmation from the Ministry of Health with directions on how to download my vaccine proof.

The document says 3rd dose. When I log into the official Ontario Health website I now have 3 vaccine documents.

Will that work for anyone else? I have no idea. I was very much convinced that the moment they put in my health card number they will see two doses and say no. 

I am relieved and happy and excited that I can go back to normal.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Newtonville Dan said:

Thank you for sharing this. We are in the same situation. When you went in to get your (third) shot, did you have to provide proof of your first shot?  

Shoppers Drug Mart has a specific form that I had to fill out that had my name, address, birthday, health card number, and health questions on it.

I did not have to show proof of any vaccine.

The email was sent to the email address that was already in the Health system. I didn't even have to give them that.

I'm really very surprised that SDM handled it in this manner. This potentially means that anyone wanting a booster shot could get one, even if their province doesn't consider them eligible.

Anyway, I'm really happy for you. Your perseverance finally paid off and you have one more thing to give thanks for today!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Shoppers Drug Mart has a specific form that I had to fill out that had my name, address, birthday, health card number, and health questions on it.

I did not have to show proof of any vaccine.

The email was sent to the email address that was already in the Health system. I didn't even have to give them that.

Congratulations on getting your third dose.   

I received my third dose from out of province and have noticed that the form that allows for people to upload out of province vaccines to the Ontario Ministry of Health now has a new option to specify whether the dose is your third dose.   I have not uploaded it yet but will in the near future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

I'm really very surprised that SDM handled it in this manner. This potentially means that anyone wanting a booster shot could get one, even if their province doesn't consider them eligible.

Anyway, I'm really happy for you. Your perseverance finally paid off and you have one more thing to give thanks for today!

That is true. I'm really not sure what to say in terms of how I was able to get a booster/3rd dose.

Maybe tomorrow the government will announce anyone with a mixed dose can get a 3rd dose? Hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am happy for you that you were able to receive a 3rd dose.
However, as someone who is immune suppressed and had to wait for eligibility (My medications were added last month thankfully) I find it concerning that they are giving 3rd doses to people who wish to travel before people with other risky diseases like asthma or diabetes etc. 

Just my two cents. 
Stay safe and happy vacation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulajj said:

I am happy for you that you were able to receive a 3rd dose.
However, as someone who is immune suppressed and had to wait for eligibility (My medications were added last month thankfully) I find it concerning that they are giving 3rd doses to people who wish to travel before people with other risky diseases like asthma or diabetes etc. 

Just my two cents. 
Stay safe and happy vacation. 

Thank you for the kind words.

My mom is eager to get a 3rd dose as she has a long list of medical conditions and she is unable to get it.

It really does not make any sense as we know the vaccines are avaliable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

It really does not make any sense as we know the vaccines are avaliable.

It's politics.  Ford politics. 

(p.s. Congrats for succeeding at getting the 3rd shot. Amazing!)

2013's 50 most outlandish Ford Quotes - NOW Magazine

Edited by lots-of-km2

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Wrong Ford. That's Rob.

I'm aware of that -- firsthand, in fact!  But the Rob picture is funnier, IMO. 

Wait, here's a nice one of the schoolyard 'businessman': 

If there is intelligent life at Queen's Park, the Ford government keeps it  hidden | TheRecord.com

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

It's politics.  Ford politics. 

(p.s. Congrats for succeeding at getting the 3rd shot. Amazing!)

2013's 50 most outlandish Ford Quotes - NOW Magazine

Ignoring the fact that it’s the wrong Ford…

I think it’s less about politics right now and more about who actually needs it. Who is losing immunity. Are you still healthy without a booster? Is there science to back that up? 
There’s also the humanitarian issue. Should healthy people be getting a third dose of a medication that they don’t really need so they can travel when there’s millions in the world who can’t get even 1?

I think there’s a lot of different sides and we tend to only see the side we’re on. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paulajj said:

That was a joke. A joke that failed, I see.

4 minutes ago, paulajj said:

I think it’s less about politics right now and more about who actually needs it.

It's the Ford government which makes the calls on allocation of the vaccine resource, and its policies aren't always based on demonstrated need.  If it were, you'd be getting your 3rd shot already, and not watching others get it.  A friend of mine in BC who is immuno-suppressed got no. 3 this past week. 

6 minutes ago, paulajj said:

I think there’s a lot of different sides and we tend to only see the side we’re on. 

That's human nature. I think that people on this CC board are looking to see things from multiple angles, though. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, paulajj said:

I think it’s less about politics right now and more about who actually needs it. Who is losing immunity. Are you still healthy without a booster? Is there science to back that up? 
There’s also the humanitarian issue. Should healthy people be getting a third dose of a medication that they don’t really need so they can travel when there’s millions in the world who can’t get even 1?

Ok. Let’s look at this from another perspective that borders on the rediculous. The WHO has chastised first world countries for giving out third shots yet they are the ones that have not approved mixing. Can’t have it both ways guys.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Ok. Let’s look at this from another perspective that borders on the rediculous. The WHO has chastised first world countries for giving out third shots yet they are the ones that have not approved mixing. Can’t have it both ways guys.

The WHO doesn’t think individuals should decide on mixing but the governments if needed can. 

But I agree, I wish the border issue would change. 

Is WHO suggesting health agencies shouldn't recommend mixing doses?

No. In fact, the opposite is true.  

"At our Global press conference on COVID 19, Dr. Soumya Swaminathan explained that individuals should not decide for themselves, public health agencies can, based on available data," WHO said in a statement to CBC News on Tuesday. 

Swaminathan also sent out a tweet to clarify her position when the misleading story was shared on Twitter.   

Edited by paulajj
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, K_e_short said:

So for those that pay attention to my ranting and rambling (I hope it isn't a lot of you), I have Astra Zeneca and Pfizer as my 1st and 2nd doses.

We all know that means that no matter how many times we re read the rules, contact the CDC, quote research studies, etc. it means no cruising out of the U.S.

I had tried to get a 3rd shot in Montreal as others on here had been successful. I was not successful due to either not having actual proof of travel, staff cracking down on Ontarians getting a 3rd dose, or simply bad luck.

I decided to try something and it worked.

I made an appointment at my local Shoppers Drug Mart for my 2nd Pfizer dose.

I received my 2nd Pfizer dose.

If you travel, will you come back and let us know how it worked out? I’ve heard bad news regarding what the authorities think of the third shot.  I hope it works for you.

my plan is to re- start the vaccination process next Feb when 8 months have passed since my last shot.  I’ll get two of the same vaccine appropriately spaced apart and have new documents.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

If you travel, will you come back and let us know how it worked out? I’ve heard bad news regarding what the authorities think of the third shot.  I hope it works for you.

my plan is to re- start the vaccination process next Feb when 8 months have passed since my last shot.  I’ll get two of the same vaccine appropriately spaced apart and have new documents.  

Why would you look for two more vaccinations rather than a booster shot? Is there any evidence that you would be better protected? Given the current restrictions for booster shots, I can't imagine the Ontario government allowing people to "re-start the vaccination process" in February.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Why would you look for two more vaccinations rather than a booster shot? Is there any evidence that you would be better protected? Given the current restrictions for booster shots, I can't imagine the Ontario government allowing people to "re-start the vaccination process" in February.

Can you guarantee that the ‘whoever’ who approves the shot protocol accepts the booster as a regular shot?  I’m not looking to be better protected, I feel quite protected already, but the powers-that-be are calling me unvaccinated, which is a lie..but that’s their decision.  Don't hurt your head imagining anything. My Dr can write a script and I can pay for it.  And maybe by the time my cruise comes around, AZ will be accepted as being half of a two part series.   It’s a better plan than never being allowed in certain countries ever again. Maybe it’s best that you do what’s best for you and I’ll do what I think is best for me. I don’t read any helpful ideas from you…just criticism.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I think it is a better idea to look at getting a 3rd dos of Pfizer or Moderna to then be FULLY VACCINATED in the eyes of the CDC.

I know that RCCL has specifically discussed booster shots. Carnival has not but John Heald has said that booster shots won't affect vaccination status but that 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna do count (no matter what other doses you get). Celebrity says "last dose" indicating that other doses don't matter as long as you have 2 Pfizer/Moderna.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Can you guarantee that the ‘whoever’ who approves the shot protocol accepts the booster as a regular shot?  I’m not looking to be better protected, I feel quite protected already, but the powers-that-be are calling me unvaccinated, which is a lie..but that’s their decision.  Don't hurt your head imagining anything. My Dr can write a script and I can pay for it.  And maybe by the time my cruise comes around, AZ will be accepted as being half of a two part series.   It’s a better plan than never being allowed in certain countries ever again. Maybe it’s best that you do what’s best for you and I’ll do what I think is best for me. I don’t read any helpful ideas from you…just criticism.  

No criticism, just curiosity. As a third shot gives you access to countries and cruising, I just don't understand the benefit of a fourth. And thanks for your concern, but being curious doesn't hurt my head. 😇 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I think it is a better idea to look at getting a 3rd dos of Pfizer or Moderna to then be FULLY VACCINATED in the eyes of the CDC.

I know that RCCL has specifically discussed booster shots. Carnival has not but John Heald has said that booster shots won't affect vaccination status but that 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna do count (no matter what other doses you get). Celebrity says "last dose" indicating that other doses don't matter as long as you have 2 Pfizer/Moderna.

I will look into it, but seem to doubt that it would be available to me.  I’m just looking at all my options.  I’ll check with Shopper Drug Mart….but need a plan B in case they say No Way.  I’m not a highly positive person and would love to hear from people who got the third shot booster and embarked without so much as a second glance.  That would really encourage me to go that route.  Like you say, lots of chatter about these third shot/booster shots but no definitive ‘rule’ like the other rules they’ve made and enforce.  I hope you let us know how it works for you! I sure hope it does! 

• Like 1