Wi-fi on board

lorimay

I know that wi-fi is free for one device at a time for each cabin. Does anyone have any idea how fast the wi-fi is - especially now since sailing has started again? Or if there are upgrade packages we can purchase? My husband and I both will need to check in and get a little work done while on our cruise. I don't need to stream anything - but I do need to be able to send emails reliably. I couldn't find anything about upgraded wi-fi on the Oceania website. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, lorimay said:

I know that wi-fi is free for one device at a time for each cabin. Does anyone have any idea how fast the wi-fi is - especially now since sailing has started again? Or if there are upgrade packages we can purchase? My husband and I both will need to check in and get a little work done while on our cruise. I don't need to stream anything - but I do need to be able to send emails reliably. I couldn't find anything about upgraded wi-fi on the Oceania website. Thank you.

First, let’s be clear about ship WiFi: The ship hardware and distribution can be the best in the world. But, communication with the outside world depends on satellite communication and it’s the latency in transmission that can mean very slow (if any) internet “speed.”

That said, O has two wifi versions: the free one and an upgraded paid one. The only difference between the two is that the paid version allows streaming. “Speed” is exactly the same. 

The good news is that, all of the O ships (save Nautica which will be done soon) have had tech overhauls. But, the bad news remains that, there will be time during the day when the demand stretches the system capabilities and places (e.g., mid-Pacific) where there is zero service (same goes for the satellite TV signal.

• Like 3