Solo cruising and main dining room.

In two weeks I will be going for my first solo cruise. I wonder how seating in the main dining room is handled?

I selected anytime dining and I wonder how common a table for one is. If there are fellow cruisers  who have sailed solo, how does this worked for you? 

Your own table? Do you find another solo cruiser and share a table?  Or do you just get a random seat with others at a larger table?

With covid protocols and concerns this may all be a new procedure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, untailored bostonian said:

In two weeks I will be going for my first solo cruise. I wonder how seating in the main dining room is handled?

I selected anytime dining and I wonder how common a table for one is. If there are fellow cruisers  who have sailed solo, how does this worked for you? 

Your own table? Do you find another solo cruiser and share a table?  Or do you just get a random seat with others at a larger table?

With covid protocols and concerns this may all be a new procedure.

I do my own every time. I have always had the option of being seated with others...or otters depending on the hostess. I'm not sure if they've modified their policy due to covid. I don't think they have because they seated me so close to other tables at Chibang! on elegant night that we were practically at the same table.

• Like 1

I noticed when I checked in for dinner that even if I didn't select any of my sailing companions, I'd have still have to check a box to request to be seated with others.  Since it's all app based now, and they just alert you when they're ready for you, I imagine it's easier for them to arrange for your preference.  

Back in the set dining days, we had to request a table for two early - but were usually accommodated graciously.  Since anytime, we've always made it clear each night that we are in no hurry and will happily wait as long as necessary to dine alone.  The new system is absolutely perfect for us.

• Like 2

I sail solo and always get assigned to a table alone that seats 2 people. I do request a socially distanced table and sometimes to accommodate that request they will seat me at a table that seats 4 people.

• Like 1

When I go solo I prefer a table for one.  When I've gone on Pride, Ken Byrne always had the same table for me for early dining and on occasion I'd ask someone I met during the cruise to join me. Worked for me. Never an issue.

• Like 1

I had anytime dining -- was assigned a two-top each night, each time next to another two-top with a couple, which made for nice conversation.  Then I got to do the solo thing -- and split when I was ready!

Edited by EarloftheSeas
typo
  • Like 3

you now check in on the carnival hub app when dining " anytime option" as well as sea day brunch and breakfast in the dining room. When you sign in, requesting seating for your meal, there is an option that you can select if you would like to share a table. If I recall correctly from last week, it is down on the bottom right of the app page. If not selected, then you will be seated, probably at a two top, and like others indicated, these are close to tables on both sides. Now at brunch I was seated at a four top, but solo. Also, three weeks ago on the Breeze, I was sat at a shared table for first brunch, however I did not know about the app at that point, and hostess actually helped , so she may had indicated to share table. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, bdever said:

I sail solo and always get assigned to a table alone that seats 2 people. I do request a socially distanced table and sometimes to accommodate that request they will seat me at a table that seats 4 people.

I am concerned by "social distancing" in the main dining room.  I am full vaxes, 3rd dose 15 days before cruise, and I mask up everywhere here at home.

I hope my experience on the Freedom will reflect my concerns.

1 hour ago, untailored bostonian said:

I am concerned by "social distancing" in the main dining room.  I am full vaxes, 3rd dose 15 days before cruise, and I mask up everywhere here at home.

I hope my experience on the Freedom will reflect my concerns.

Based on my experience on the Panorama you do not have a reason to be concerned about social distancing in the MDR. On any given night the dining room was 25% occupancy. MDR staff extremely accommodating with my request for social distancing and it was never an issue for them or me. Lots of tables to choose from.

We were on the Panorama last month. The tables around us in the MDR  were always filled. One of the last nights they sat us at a 2 top that was right next to a 4 top (by the window). I was hesitating, but my hubby spoke up and said it was fine. I went with the flow ….

We did the Seaday Brunch one morning. We were seated at a row of 2 tops. Nobody even remotely near us. Within 10 minutes of sitting down, they had a couple on each side of us! There were MANY open tables. Guessing  the ‘crowding’ was due to lack of Staff that morning???  

The ship was at 50% occupancy. There was definitely space & tables to NOT sit people right next to one another. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️  

I didn’t want to cause a fuss with my husband. But, I’m sure had we said anything, they would have moved us. Staff is still the BEST❣️❣️

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bdever said:

Based on my experience on the Panorama you do not have a reason to be concerned about social distancing in the MDR. On any given night the dining room was 25% occupancy. MDR staff extremely accommodating with my request for social distancing and it was never an issue for them or me. Lots of tables to choose from.

I saw recently that, I think it was CCL quarterly report, that even at these low passenger capacity they are doing better than break even.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, untailored bostonian said:

I saw recently that, I think it was CCL quarterly report, that even at these low passenger capacity they are doing better than break even.

Yes, capacity on my sailing was 60% and with like 13 different place to have dinner not counting room service it kinda spreads everyone out during meal times but still a capacity that fills venues for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

We were on the Panorama last month. The tables around us in the MDR  were always filled. One of the last nights they sat us at a 2 top that was right next to a 4 top (by the window). I was hesitating, but my hubby spoke up and said it was fine. I went with the flow ….

We did the Seaday Brunch one morning. We were seated at a row of 2 tops. Nobody even remotely near us. Within 10 minutes of sitting down, they had a couple on each side of us! There were MANY open tables. Guessing  the ‘crowding’ was due to lack of Staff that morning???  

The ship was at 50% occupancy. There was definitely space & tables to NOT sit people right next to one another. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️  

I didn’t want to cause a fuss with my husband. But, I’m sure had we said anything, they would have moved us. Staff is still the BEST❣️❣️

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Agreed, they would have happily moved you. They are the best!