No upgrades available

snoodqueen

I just called Princess and asked about getting an upgrade - paid or complimentary - for the Grand on Oct. 14.  I know bookings online are closed but no harm in asking, right?  I was told that I could ask at checkin or Guest Services onboard if there were any cancellations.  I explained that there were only 3 cabins booked around me and the ship was definitely not sailing full so it wasn't about someone cancelling or something suddenly opening up.  I usually get pretty good people when I call Princess but this one just kept repeating over and over about cancellations.  Do they even look at the ship availability before saying no?  Disappointed in the response but I'm getting what I paid for so not worried, though an upgrade in an empty ship would have been a nice treat.

I have no personal knowledge but suspect it's too close to sailing to make changes now.  They probably have to submit a Pax manifest to regulating authorities. 

I would definitely think you could ask at check-in or at the Customer Relations desk once on broad!

Please let us know what you ultimately experience!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

I have no personal knowledge but suspect it's too close to sailing to make changes now.  They probably have to submit a Pax manifest to regulating authorities. 

I would definitely think you could ask at check-in or at the Customer Relations desk once on broad!

Please let us know what you ultimately experience!

Passenger manifest goes in 60 minutes before sailing.  That’s why you have to be checked in by then.  EM

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I didn't even know that someone could verbally request an upgrade. How long has this been possible? 

Don't you do that at hotels too? You just politely ask if they happen to have any free upgrades. Also known as the $20 trick in Vegas where you slip a 20 over with your Id. If they can't do it they will give the 20 back. I have gotten some great upgrades over the years and some  I'm sorry.

4 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

Don't bother asking at check-in as the people in the terminal have no access to cabin availability and have no authority to make any cabin changes.

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I didn't even know that someone could verbally request an upgrade. How long has this been possible? 

There have been a couple of posts on the recent "Live From" threads saying that they asked at the on board customer service desk and were able to get an upgrade.

Of course pre-pandemic there was always a sign saying the ship was full, so do not bother asking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If upgrades were easy and dependable, then people wouldn't have an incentive to pay more up front for the room they actually want, or for the upgrade bidding and offers programs many lines use. Low occupancy would actually make it less desirable for them to give free upgrades, because they're already short on revenue--it would be like allowing people on a low-occupancy flight to rush to first class. It also makes the CS desk the first day more of a nightmare for those who have a legitimate issue, along with all the people who run to the front desk to deal with dining or wifi/app issues. I admit, though, it would be interesting to see someone slip a $20 to a cruise ship agent to ask for an upgrade, or even better, to hand over their Medallion with a wink and say they could take $20 off for themselves. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, caribill said:

Don't bother asking at check-in as the people in the terminal have no access to cabin availability and have no authority to make any cabin changes.

There have been a couple of posts on the recent "Live From" threads saying that they asked at the on board customer service desk and were able to get an upgrade.

Of course pre-pandemic there was always a sign saying the ship was full, so do not bother asking.

We were one of those that received an upgrade but, not until the second leg of our B2B.  Fine with us!  

We are sailing on the Regal Princess on Dec 13th. I called our Princess Cruise Planner and asked about an upgrade - complimentary or paid. She called back and offered us an upgrade to a rear-facing suite. We had to pay some $$$, but our daughter who will also be in the suite was not required to pay more than the original 3rd person fee. We have never had an opportunity like this, so we took it immediately.

I know there were a couple of folks on our Sep Alaska trip that got upgrades by going to the customer service desk as soon as they boarded.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@Cruise Raiderwhat was your upgrade?

From a balcony to a mini-suite.  We declined it at first as we didn’t want to move from our caribe deck balcony all the way aft to a midship mini on the Dolphin deck.  The upgrade didn’t come through the guest services but through the inventory department via an upgrade email.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

We are on the Grand now. Booked an inside cabin because it was $149 pp. Asked and was upgraded to a balcony. Ship hardly has anyone on it. Rumor among crew is around 300 pax. Official word to crew is "very few" pax

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jmanly said:

We are on the Grand now. Booked an inside cabin because it was $149 pp. Asked and was upgraded to a balcony. Ship hardly has anyone on it. Rumor among crew is around 300 pax. Official word to crew is "very few" pax

That is sad about the number of passengers but you will be able to walk right up to the omelette station. 😊

3 hours ago, Jmanly said:

I heard 600.

19 hours ago, Jmanly said:

OMG … that’s awful!  I sure hope they can start selling more cruises!  That’s a big ouch for Princess!  

Part of it could very well be the extreme mask and testing requirements especially on longer cruises. More people may be waiting to see if the restrictions are eased before they cruise.  We have moved one cruise from mid January to late March

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 5:55 PM, Jmanly said:

When & who did you ask? I'm on the Oct 23rd

8 hours ago, memoak said:

Part of it could very well be the extreme mask and testing requirements especially on longer cruises. More people may be waiting to see if the restrictions are eased before they cruise.  We have moved one cruise from mid January to late March

WE are booked for  January 31st on Ruby to Mexico.  Got a Princess email this week, saying testing requirement will be required through February ... so we need to do.  

I can't imagine booking a cabin I wasn't happy to sail in and then hoping for an upgrade. We just book cabins we can afford that we would like to sail in and count ourselves lucky that we are able to cruise.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, pris993 said:

WE are booked for  January 31st on Ruby to Mexico.  Got a Princess email this week, saying testing requirement will be required through February ... so we need to do.  

Deleted

Edited by Daniel A

On 10/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, CruzDayz said:

Up eight cents today. I'm sure it will come back and we can enjoy the deals now that will go away soon.

I enjoy your enthusiasm and raise my cup of Kopi Luwak  to you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1