Travel Insurance

chief542

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Call InsureMyTrip.com - independent broker, no fees, excellent search engine to match your needs, and knowledgeable staff.

I second this. Actually their website is very easy to navigate and allows you to input your travel details, and then displays the policies available. It allows you to compare policies side by side so you can choose the one that works for you.

10 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

We had an Allianz annual travel insurance plan.  Worked for us when we needed it.

DON

Is it a comprehensive annual policy and not just medical?  If so, does it have a name (Allianz ______?) And did you use a particular broker (in case it’s proprietary)?

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Is it a comprehensive annual policy and not just medical?  If so, does it have a name (Allianz ______?) And did you use a particular broker (in case it’s proprietary)?

I guess that it was comprehensive and it was definitely medical.  It covered evacuation, medical expenses and a bunch of other stuff.  I had to cancel a cruise because of a medical issue and they covered what I did not get back from the cruise company.  I bought it directly from Allianz but I am sure that you can get it from brokers such as InsureMyTrip.  I had several plan choices and Allianz told me the advantages and disadvantages of each plan.  What was important to me was a high medical coverage and good evacuation limits as I was cruising to out-of-the-way places.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

3 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I guess that it was comprehensive and it was definitely medical.  It covered evacuation, medical expenses and a bunch of other stuff.  I had to cancel a cruise because of a medical issue and they covered what I did not get back from the cruise company.  I bought it directly from Allianz but I am sure that you can get it from brokers such as InsureMyTrip.  I had several plan choices and Allianz told me the advantages and disadvantages of each plan.  What was important to me was a high medical coverage and good evacuation limits as I was cruising to out-of-the-way places.

DON

Thanks- I’ll check it out. But, whenever I’ve looked at annual plans, what has been missing are trip cancellation/interruption benefits.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thanks- I’ll check it out. But, whenever I’ve looked at annual plans, what has been missing are trip cancellation/interruption benefits.

I cancelled for a medical reason.  Probably cancel for any reason will not be covered.  As you said, ask them.

DON

8 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I cancelled for a medical reason.  Probably cancel for any reason will not be covered.  As you said, ask them.

DON

Just went to the Allianz website and looked at each of the policy versions of “AllTrips” (their annual travel policies). The good news is that, except for the “basic” version, they are comprehensive and include trip interrupt/cancel benefits. The bad news is that even the “best” policy has woefully inadequate trip interrupt/cancel benefits if you happen to do multiple long and/or “expensive” cruises during the year. In fact, they are so low that a travel savvy credit card’s included trip interrupt/cancel coverage may have far better limits (e.g., my United Explorer VISA does).

Nonetheless, the Allianz AllTrips policies are worth a look by folks who may do several shorter mass market cruises in a year. 

• Like 1