Capt Kate to helm Celebrity Beyond

DevilinaBluDress

13 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Not true.  She was the first "American Female Captain of a cruise liner".   I'm not a cheerleader but I'm sure it's because she is a social media marketing machine for Celebrity who is trying to attract the demographic that is influenced by this type of marketing.

You're correct on both points.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paulras said:

The official video didn't make any mention of her gender, just her face and name. The press released mentioned plenty about her experience including her helming the Summit, Equinox and Edge since 2015 and her father telling her that she could be a ship captain when she grew up.  And lots about her charisma that has made her extremely popular which is why her name connected with a ship is a headline. Did you actually read the press release? Apparently not!

To me, it seems that you're the one doubting her capabilities. Maybe instead, you should be questioning why she's still the only female captain in the entire industry almost 6 years later, instead of questioning her qualifications.

There are nine female captains of cruise ships, including one minority lady. Maybe you should get the facts before chastising someone without doing due diligence on the subject.

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

There are nine female captains of cruise ships, including one minority lady. Maybe you should get the facts before chastising someone without doing due diligence on the subject.

You're correct. Though, it's "there have been nine" over the decades, not currently nine running ships. But all the more reason why someone saying she only got it because of her gender makes no sense if she's far from the only one out there.

2 hours ago, mistertheg said:

everything celebrity does is about gender now.

X's current *.pdf wine list (just received this week from X by email) is noteworthy in this regard.

The full list is prefaced by a subset of that same list highlighting only which wines are made in wineries headed by women.  You have to get past several pages of that first to find the actual (full) wine list, which already includes these wines.  [If I think about it, I'll find and post the *.pdf here later as having a properly structured list (not like the horrible scrollable list in the app) may be helpful to someone here.]

When I take that first sip, knowing the gender of the person in charge of the winery is about as important to me as needing to know whether the person running the company that made the wine bottles is of one gender or the other.  Sorry, my taste buds just aren't that woke.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, LibertyGirl7 said:

Does anyone know if she will be back on the Edge at all or is she now with the Beyond until it sails in April?

I have no expertise in the area than following some new builds over the years, but I would be surprised if she returns to Edge. It seems like the maiden Captain spends a lot of time in and around the ship in the last few months of construction, sea trials, etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

X's current *.pdf wine list (just received this week from X by email) is noteworthy in this regard.

The full list is prefaced by a subset of that same list highlighting only which wines are made in wineries headed by women.  You have to get past several pages of that first to find the actual (full) wine list, which already includes these wines.  [If I think about it, I'll find and post the *.pdf here later as having a properly structured list (not like the horrible scrollable list in the app) may be helpful to someone here.]

When I take that first sip, knowing the gender of the person in charge of the winery is about as important to me as needing to know whether the person running the company that made the wine bottles is of one gender or the other.  Sorry, my taste buds just aren't that woke.

Just because it means nothing to you, your right of course, does not mean another does not appreciate it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Just because it means nothing to you, your right of course, does not mean another does not appreciate it.

Anyone else may certainly make their wine selections based upon winemaker's gender if that's what works for them.  I don't think I've ever eaten or drunk anything on that basis, and doubt that I ever would.  99% of the time, I wouldn't know since it's certainly not a common way to list the fare on a menu or wine list.  As the previous poster pointed out, it seems to be a 'thing' now at Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, canderson said:

Anyone else may certainly make their wine selections based upon winemaker's gender if that's what works for them.  I don't think I've ever eaten or drunk anything on that basis, and doubt that I ever would.  99% of the time, I wouldn't know since it's certainly not a common way to list the fare on a menu or wine list.  As the previous poster pointed out, it seems to be a 'thing' now at Celebrity.

It’s a thing, and a very positive one at that, in corporate America, about time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Here's the problem for me and probably many others.   I spent nearly 40 years working for a large corporation that was focused on eliminating any discrimination based on race, sex, age, etc.  The corporate message was only to judge people on their job performance and capabilities and all of these other characteristics were supposed to be invisible.  For the most part this worked and there was very little discussion about these other characteristics when someone was promoted or given a new assignment.  Suddenly in today's society these other characteristics are front and center and promotions and new assignments seem to concentrate on these side characteristics and not a person's capabilities and experience.  The result is people are going to question why someone got the job and are they really qualified.

I honestly don't know anything about Captain Kate's qualifications, but perhaps this entire discussion would be better served if some of these press releases mentioned some of her experience and qualifications instead of focusing on the first female Captain.  Show the public how she really is the best person for the job.  This is really the best approach for Celebrity, Captain Kate and any other females that desire to follow in her footsteps.

Sadly you sound bitter which I am sure was not your intent.  Captain Kate has become the new, young face of Celebrity.  She is energetic, very public on and off the ship, and has given Celebrity a needed facelift.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paulras said:

You're correct. Though, it's "there have been nine" over the decades, not currently nine running ships. But all the more reason why someone saying she only got it because of her gender makes no sense if she's far from the only one out there.

The article I read, found with Google, was dated 12/19/2019 and stated there is approximately 300 captains of ocean cruise ships, and 3% of them are currently female, that would be 9. It also had their pictures.

I never mentioned her gender, just the inaccuracy of the numbers.

33 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The article I read, found with Google, was dated 12/19/2019 and stated there is approximately 300 captains of ocean cruise ships, and 3% of them are currently female, that would be 9. It also had their pictures.

I never mentioned her gender, just the inaccuracy of the numbers.

Please post the link that names them  Thanks

Edited by Oville

16 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I honestly don't know anything about Captain Kate's qualifications, but perhaps this entire discussion would be better served if some of these press releases mentioned some of her experience and qualifications instead of focusing on the first female Captain.  Show the public how she really is the best person for the job.  This is really the best approach for Celebrity, Captain Kate and any other females that desire to follow in her footsteps.

Show the public (you?) that she is best for the job?  Let's try to do that here   I think you do know about Captain Kate McCue's qualifications.  Regardless of gender she has been captain of one of the two existing E-Class ships.  The only other one with E-Class direct experience is Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis of APEX.   So either would be an obvious choice for BEYOND.  Since APEX just started sailing this year, it would be unusual for Captain Kafetzis to be reassigned so soon.  Captain McCue was chosen based on her direct experience and track record on other ships and particularly on EDGE.  I see that as a foundational fact and not even disputable here.    By the way the Celebrity Press Releases are marketing and investor purposed- you probably understand that based on your corporate experience.  So who cares about their press releases?  I doubt that Captain McCue has any real say in them.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Show the public (you?) that she is best for the job? 

Celebrity Press Releases are marketing and investor purposed.

Excellent post---Bang on.

IMO-- It's none of our ( customers ) business who or how Captains or any other employees are selected by the Company. 

It's no different than who the Manager is of your favorite restaurant , store , or " wherever ".

I've stated my position -- but here's a question :

Let's say you book a cruise because Captain X is scheduled to be on board and later find out that he/she has been re-assigned ? Now what ??  

17 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Since when does a cruise line have to justify the selection of its captains? Particularly to people who have absolutely no knowledge of their respective qualifications or the requirements of the job. When male captains were selected in the past, there was no one on CC challenging Celebrity to prove that the newly appointed captain "really is the best person for the job." When Captain Kafetzis was selected to take the helm of the Apex, I don't recall anyone demanding proof that he was the best choice. But then again, he wasn't a woman...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Since when does a cruise line have to justify the selection of its captains? Particularly to people who have absolutely no knowledge of their respective qualifications or the requirements of the job. When male captains were selected in the past, there was no one on CC challenging Celebrity to prove that the newly appointed captain "really is the best person for the job." When Captain Kafetzis was selected to take the helm of the Apex, I don't recall anyone demanding proof that he was the best choice. But then again, he wasn't a woman...

So well said!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Excellent post---Bang on.

IMO-- It's none of our ( customers ) business who or how Captains or any other employees are selected by the Company. 

It's no different than who the Manager is of your favorite restaurant , store , or " wherever ".

I've stated my position -- but here's a question :

Let's say you book a cruise because Captain X is scheduled to be on board and later find out that he/she has been re-assigned ? Now what ??  

I'm not sure if many people book a cruise just for a specific captain.  But a few might choose between which cruise to book if all else is equal and they have a strong preference for a captain for whatever their reasons.  To answer your question, personally it would not make a difference at all to me as long it was the ship, itinerary, cabin and price I wanted.  And health/vaccine status now of course.  The Captain would be not much of a consideration after all of those factors.  But I think I would find Captain Kate on board to be a good added experience based upon everything I have read here about her.  I have never had the experience though.  Every other captain on my many cruises have been great to awesome for my cruising needs.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

To answer your question,

With due respect--- I meant to ask a " general " question to anyone on CC, not specifically to you.

As with yourself, we've met many Captains, enjoyed some " small talk " with them and so many other Staff members --- never had a bad experience on our many cruises no matter " Who was on board ".

First of all I can’t believe some of the comments from a few about a female Captain being named to a new ship. I will assume that she was chosen based upon her abilities and not her gender. To assume otherwise shows a persons true character. It’s also no ones business other than Celebrity.

As far as someone choosing a particular ship based upon the staff is the same in my eyes as booking a cruise due to a certain port or itinerary. Things can change and often do. Just be prepared that it could happen. If one can’t handle that then they probably should rethink booking. 

• Like 2

celebrity's the one trotting her out as the second coming which naturally makes people consider her qualifications. she has experience on the edge class but why did she get assigned to it three years ago  with limited experience in the first place? i think it's obvious.  i wonder if she knows what the crew thinks of her and her ugly cat???

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mistertheg said:

celebrity's the one trotting her out as the second coming which naturally makes people consider her qualifications. she has experience on the edge class but why did she get assigned to it three years ago  with limited experience in the first place? i think it's obvious.  i wonder if she knows what the crew thinks of her and her ugly cat???

I heard they like the hairless cat a lot.

Wonder if it goes to Europe with her?

She did the Summit and Equinox before Edge.

I will wonder how the various male captains feel about the lady CEO and Kate getting lots of attention?

I think X and RCCL should swap captains around between the various ships.

I think Kate would jump at chance to go to an Oasis class ship.