Food: NCL vs RCI

twonpcb

My husband and I have almost exclusively sailed Royal Caribbean in the past but have the opportunity to sail on the Norwegian Breakaway in January.  I have looked at NCL MDR menus online.  The selections seem very similar to what is offered on RCI  but that does not speak to the quality of the dishes.  For anybody who has experienced both, I would appreciate your input.

I was on NCL Encore at the end of August for an Alaska cruise, and just got off the RCC Jewel of the Seas last week for a Greece cruise. Opinions on food are very subjective and if the same chef served the same exact meal to 50 people, you're bound to get a range of opinions and scores.

In terms of food variety, I actually think NCL took the edge on this one - but that is based on my personal palette of what I enjoy eating. Each night they both have the same 'classic' dishes you can pick from, but NCL seemed to have more of those which I would order and enjoy. RCC seems more seafood centered, and since I don't eat seafood I wasn't impressed. 

For the appetizers, again, for me and my selective mind I preferred NCL to RCC. It's not to say that RCC was ever bad, but with NCL I just recall always seeing 2-3 things I wanted and had to narrow down my pick on - with RCC it was "well I guess I'm having xxx tonight". 

With regards to quality, I'm not a food critic and I don't pretend to be one online either. Haven restaurant is on par with the Chefs Table from RCC, and the specialty restaurants on each are similar. We never had a problem with the MDR food on either ship, they're similar, and they're both fine.

The one thing we sorely missed on RCC was having an O'Sheehan's or The Local on board. We often ate in town to experience the Greek food and when we got back didn't want a big formal sit down meal. Just wanted some snacks or a simple burger & fries - no where to get that on RCC. For dinner, the only options open on RCC was the main dining room or solarium cafe which had slices of pizza and small sandwiches. The buffet wasn't open for dinner service due to lack of staff and half capacity ship. So NCL definitely wins there with regards to options and having that bar food meal option for those who don't want the pomp & circumstance of the MDR experience. 

MDR on RCC felt very Titanic to us, where your wait staff wants to learn your name and food preferences, chatting with you after each course, making sure you're having a good experience, and constantly reminding you that when you get your survey after the cruise ends to grade them all a 10 as it affects their salary what you grade them. Very off putting to us, and we just wanted to eat and leave. MDR meals on RCC were always close to 2 hrs long and felt dragged out and as pleasant as the staff were, just go away and let me eat in peace. It wasn't like that on NCL at all. But other folks like that type of service and attention - not us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, twonpcb said:

My husband and I have almost exclusively sailed Royal Caribbean in the past but have the opportunity to sail on the Norwegian Breakaway in January.  I have looked at NCL MDR menus online.  The selections seem very similar to what is offered on RCI  but that does not speak to the quality of the dishes.  For anybody who has experienced both, I would appreciate your input.

As others have said and will say, it's very subjective.

I have found the two cruise lines to be very similar with regards to food.

Plenty of selection on both and it ranges from very good to not so good.

If you were happy with the food selection and quality on rccl, you'll be happy with ncl.

I’ve sailed both. Admitting that food is subjective, I found the quality of the food on RCL unfortunate. On the Anthem of the Seas, the steaks all had too much gristle on multiple occasions.  Food over salted.  By the end of a 10 day cruise, we only ate the kimmelwech sandwich in 270 and in the experimental restaurant, Wonderland.  We avoided everything else. 

There have been mediocre nights on NCL, but nothing I had to send back.  

We have done 11 Celebrity, 7 NCL and 2 Royal C. cruises.  All were good cruises.

I give NCL and Royal the edge for entertainment.

For dining, food quality and variety, as well as service, I rate the three lines on a 1-10 scale.

Celebrity 9.0

Royal C.  8.0

NCL         7.5

Both of our Royal ships were the more modest size, not the mega ships.

We found more consistency with Celebrity and Royal.  With NCL, we have been on cruises were it seemed most of the service staff were not well trained and the dining was up and down.   On some NCL cruises, we found the dining and service on par with Royal.

Royal C. had excellent MDR dining, but sometimes their buffet included some items not worthy, such as lasagna, but generally was good.   Also, on Celebrity and Royal, we found the servers properly addressed the ladies at the table first, as well as serving them first.   On one NCL cruise, it seemed that wait staff couldn't remember what I had ordered.

• Like 1

Agree 💯 Sailing12away. The Local is our go to spot on embarkation day and usually go there a couple of other times on our cruise. They do or as of 3 years ago do a prime rib special 2 nights for dinner. They are open 24 hrs. ( Pre-COVID haven’t sailed since)

You have a few more choices for lunch rather than MDR/Buffet for lunch. Some are pay however it is reasonably price.

I'm Diamond on RCI and Platinum Plus on NCL, so plenty of meals on both.    MDR Food is about even in the prep and taste category.  But selection I have to give the nod to RCI.  Lobster tails, escargot, and other cruise favorites are still offered on RCI, no shows on NCL. 

Main Dining room service is hands down RCI even if you are using their Your time dining service. The service is night and day, with RCI's personal approach, compared to NCL's get them in and out feeling.  Hours of service goes to NCL.  RCI dining room hours are much shorter.

For specialty meals the nod from me goes to NCL.  Better selection, price, and service.  But I will say with the introduction of the Mega ships, my last couple of meals at Le Bistro, while the food was great, we all felt like we were more crowded than the main dining room.  The small intimate feel of the place was completely gone. 

As always, food is subjective and YMMV!

• Like 1

We are Diamond on RCL and Platinum Plus on NCL, We quit sailing on RCL, because my DH hated the food after a couple of years.  it really went downhill, He was eating sliders at dinner almost every night. He also started to really dislike sitting with others, We had some doozies a couple of times. We asked to be moved, but didn't liked being forced to sit with others. ( I hear they have changes that ) 

Also he hated dressing up in tuxes or suits. Not what vacations are for in our minds. 

Love the specialty restaurants on NCL, the Q and Los Lobos, and Le Bistro are our favorites., and no dressing up. DH just wears a shirt with a collar and his cargo pants. 

• Like 1

Been on both lines and feel that the MDRs are about even. Really depends on the ship, kitchen and wait staff. Several years ago on NCL the food was so bad I questioned going on them again. Next time the food was good.

One thing that I don't like with the cost cutting measures of several years - seems like almost every desert on NCL is cake or pudding/custard of some type. You may find an apple pie or something here and there. Don't remember if RCI is the same...

Another thought. Cruising on the same line all the time means the food is generally the same with a few changes to update. Trying a new line you would get a different menu - whether it's a better menu or not at least it's got some new items to choose from.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, twonpcb said:

Food is highly subjective. We have sailed on 1 NCL cruise and 2 RCI cruises since the restart (and typically sail 4-5 times a year). 

I give NCL the edge. NCL is continually evolving their menus to meet the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. That, in itself, causes a lot of hate and discontent. There was a big uproar when chicken fingers left the menu in favor of rotisserie chicken. Or when chicken noodle soup got replaced by pho. Or when fish sticks got replaced by poached salmon. Many seasoned cruisers (we have cruised for decades) don't like change. Change = bad. We embrace change and don't want to eat sliders for dinner every night. 

Both cruise lines have a "Classic" menu nightly with a steak, chicken dish, fish dish, vegetarian dish. Both cruise lines have specials of the night. Some good, some not so good. I am not shy about asking for another main course if the one served is not to my liking. 

Yup, I fully understand that MDR food is prepared in mass and held until service. A salad could be prepared at 7 am an held in a chill box (drying out) until late dinner. A main course could be held until it is really, really over cooked. And those items are sent back to the kitchen if served to me. And there have been more items that are "not so good" on RCI lately than NCL. 

NCL updates their MDR menus annually. They take into account those items that "don't sell well" (i.e., are not order often and end up as fish food most of the time) and trying to target the Millennials, who are the next generation cruisers who they need to get hooked.  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

I think the main dining room food is much better on Royal. It doesn't ever change though. I can get great lamb chops on Thursday forever. And I love the escargot and prime rib and lobster. None of those exist in MDR on NCL. However, the food on NCL is good and I really like their specialty restaurants. For buffet, I say Royal but just by a little bit. The service style is very different and I much prefer the more friendly sale of Royal. NCL is just a busy restaurant, no small talk per se. You should be fine on NCL. For reference, Diamond on Royal, Platinum on NCL.

I have no problem sailing either Royal or Norwegian (although I give the slight edge to Royal), but if I want a better main dining room experience, I would sail on either Princess or Celebrity.  Our first cruise back since the pandemic will be on the Escape for Thanksgiving.  We will be doing specialty dining every night.  

We sailed on our first RCI cruise to the Baltic and were disappointed in the food. I expected it to be a little better based on comments on this forum, but it wasn't. NCL isn't anything to brag about but I give the edge to NCL.  Princess was better than both the last time we sailed with them.  

32 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

When do mdr menus populate on the app. My cruise is 9 days and I don't see then. Cant reserve dinner if u don't know if u want the menu 

They are not posted on the app. If you want to eat at Specialty Dining, you need to book on embarkation day. Don't wait until day you want to dine, it may be sold out or you may be eating late at night

image.png.41d0d3fcd54976ded84819a3efea433a.png 

image.png.0c3514626b88dc839e7fd0a3fb3714dc.png

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They are not posted on the app. If you want to eat at Specialty Dining, you need to book on embarkation day. Don't wait until day you want to dine, it may be sold out or you may be eating late at night

image.png.41d0d3fcd54976ded84819a3efea433a.png 

image.png.0c3514626b88dc839e7fd0a3fb3714dc.png

That's a bummer. I'm on royal now and the app is spectacular.  Mdr n ck were loaded a week in advance so plans could be made. I'm spoiled. Last time on ncl couldn't even see mdr on the TV screen either. 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:52 PM, drumming cruisers said:

We are Diamond on RCL and Platinum Plus on NCL, We quit sailing on RCL, because my DH hated the food after a couple of years.  it really went downhill, He was eating sliders at dinner almost every night. He also started to really dislike sitting with others, We had some doozies a couple of times. We asked to be moved, but didn't liked being forced to sit with others. ( I hear they have changes that ) 

Also he hated dressing up in tuxes or suits. Not what vacations are for in our minds. 

Love the specialty restaurants on NCL, the Q and Los Lobos, and Le Bistro are our favorites., and no dressing up. DH just wears a shirt with a collar and his cargo pants. 

Was just off of RCC Jewel of the Seas a week ago. We didn't get dressed up at all. Chefs Table I wore a cocktail dress and hubby was in slacks and a button down short sleeve shirt. Formal night he went in jeans and a polo and was fine, I was in linen pants with a sleeveless blouse. 

13 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

That's a bummer. I'm on royal now and the app is spectacular.  Mdr n ck were loaded a week in advance so plans could be made. I'm spoiled. Last time on ncl couldn't even see mdr on the TV screen either. 

I hated the app on RCC. Could never get it to load and work for us, the QR codes never scanned for me or when I clicked the link to open them brought me to the generic app homepage and not a menu.  Not a single bar menu to be found anywhere except on your phone. Who wants to carry a phone around with them just to see a menu? Guess I need to start buying dresses with pockets...

since food is subjective, here is my 2c on the matter

I think the variety of food options and venues are much better on NCL.  When I have sailed on RCI, I have felt like there wasn't a huge variety of food venues available and didn't feel like there was many late night options, but it's been a while so that might have improved. 

Side note: The last time I was on Royal, I felt like their bars, bar service, and drink  selection/quality SUCKED compared to NCL

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Side note: The last time I was on Royal, I felt like their bars, bar service, and drink  selection/quality SUCKED compared to NCL

The biggest complaint I had about the bars on RCC was that they're somewhat sneaky about their offerings. We were just on the Jewel of the Seas last week and particularly at the wine bar there was only 3 options for wines that were in the drink package price limit. When we mentioned something to the bar tender about that, he said "oh, we have others that are not on the menu - what are you looking for?". So why in the world is it not on the menu? Are you trying to be sneaky and get people to pay an extra $2-3 when they don't need to? Unfortunately found that out on the last night of the cruise, otherwise we would have been drinking more wine on board instead of cocktails. First cruise that we didn't have wine with dinner every night because we were so sick of the micro charges when we didn't just outright buy a bottle.

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

The biggest complaint I had about the bars on RCC was that they're somewhat sneaky about their offerings. We were just on the Jewel of the Seas last week and particularly at the wine bar there was only 3 options for wines that were in the drink package price limit. When we mentioned something to the bar tender about that, he said "oh, we have others that are not on the menu - what are you looking for?". So why in the world is it not on the menu? Are you trying to be sneaky and get people to pay an extra $2-3 when they don't need to? Unfortunately found that out on the last night of the cruise, otherwise we would have been drinking more wine on board instead of cocktails. First cruise that we didn't have wine with dinner every night because we were so sick of the micro charges when we didn't just outright buy a bottle.

I've had the beverage package on RCI as well as pay as you go. When I had the beverage package, it felt like there were only three -four cocktails on the very small menu I liked and at the end of the week I was tired of those drinks. Then I was just ordering captain and diet, which isn't a very expensive drink so probably wasn't getting my value out of the package.  When I did pay as you go, the ONLY thing I could order were Captain and Diets BECAUSE something like a COSMO with absolut was like 18.00 after gratuity. 

I just love NCL's bar themes and drink menus...I also feel like the prices on the menu are very fair. I think it's like 11.00 before gratuities and taxes for a mojito and I am sure I couldn't find that price on land where I live.