Oceania needs a competitive online way to book airfare

terrydtx

8 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I think you just nicely summarized the complaint - the need for a changed process.

I asked my TA awhile ago how many people book the pre-cruise hotel - arguably the worst deal in the industry. She said a lot do - a lot don't want to be bothered arranging anything.

CruiseCritic members are more well-informed than, and a very small number of, the total cruisers.

That’s your TA’s experience and I trust that many folks pay all sorts of extra money for “convenience.” Other TAs who do a lot of O might report different results. That said, it all boils down to personal choice. 

FWIW: Sometimes one can even find a convenience deal that is actually far better than DIY. For example we recently returned from the Grand Hyatt in Poipu (Kauai). I searched high and low for the best way to do the travel arrangements and (although we still did our own air) we used that biggest of big box store’s travel department to book a 10 day stay at the same room rate as I could DIY. However, the $40/day Resort Fee, $40 pp/day breakfast charge and a full sized rental car (current value on Kauai almost $100/day!) and credit fir some tours were included. The only downside was no Hyatt hotel points for the room charge). Not a bad price to pay to save about $2k.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I would think with the demographics of Oceania cruisers a better business class airfare program would be a must and would bring them more business not less.

We looked at Viking Ocean cruises and they have a similar worthless air program and want a $4500pp add on for business class tickets to Europe, that plus the 12 month final payment requirement keeps us from ever considering them again.

We were booked on a Viking cruise in June 2021, which was a covid cancellation.  Viking does many things exceptionally  well, but my experience is that their airfare program is below average.  On our first O cruise, we used the airfare to book transatlantic flights, opted for the premium economy seats and paid the deviation fee for early arrival and late departures.  We had no complaints and could not find a lower cost alternative by DIY.  Unless we can somehow get the overseas flights DIY using frequent flyer miles, it will be O’s flight service.  If we ever consider Viking again, it will not be with their air service.

Edited by shank63
Spelling

I have actually meet numerous folks on Oceania where money is no object. They pay Oceania’s price for hotels AND for Biz Class Air for shear convenience. With that being the case, what is O’s motivation to considerably lower their prices for everyone, so to attract a possibly small additional number of new flyers? More work for less money! That was never in my business playbook!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

When there’s an O “premium economy” air offer, it is either a paid upgrade (above the cruise w/air price you already paid in the fare) or it’s complimentary (rare). But, in no case does O give air credit unless you choose without air.

Take the credit and DIY.

While I agree with you, a case can be made for leaving it on a future (2023) reservations until final payment is required. It is an excellent hedge in theses times of rampant inflation - fuel prices and labour costs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Does the "no credit for coach air" also apply if you want premium economy rather than business class?

If you want to take the O  premium Economy offer they just add the price  (usually $149 PP) to your invoice

The PE seats are only offered specific sailings

check your cruise  for Special Offers

Be sure to read the  T & C's

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

Or just take the air credit & book your own PE seats

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you want to take the O  premium Economy offer they just add the price  (usually $149 PP) to your invoice

The PE seats are only offered specific sailings

check your cruise  for Special Offers

Be sure to read the  T & C's

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

Or just take the air credit & book your own PE seats

LHT28:

Thanks. This is useful information.

Jim

35 minutes ago, sanjame said:

While I agree with you, a case can be made for leaving it on a future (2023) reservations until final payment is required. It is an excellent hedge in theses times of rampant inflation - fuel prices and labour costs.

Except that, if you have a preferred airline and/or want non-stop bizclass tix, the likelihood of O having your Plan A in their current airline contracts at that future date are slim if any. And, by Final Pay time, most of the FF seats on your preferred carrier will be long gone.

For our upcoming O cruise in December, O quote me over $6,000 CAD for business class flights. I booked the flights myself for less than $2,000. Yes, it feels like they quote those crazy prices on purpose so people won't book air through them.

Compare this to our upcoming cruise on Celebrity in May. Their online booking system quoted $3,300 CAD. The lowest price I was able to find independently was $3,700 CAD. Not only Celebrity price is cheaper, it's fully refundable if you cancel before the final payment, the fine is only $270 if you cancel after the final payment, and of course you are protected in case of flight delays since you booked through them.

Am I able to DIY? Yes, but Celebrity option is cheaper, more convenient and gives a better protection.

Oceania as a cruise line is in a different league than Celebrity, but their air program is undefendable. If Celebrity can do it, I don't see why Oceania can't. I assume Celebrity doesn't lose money on this program either..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

For our upcoming O cruise in December, O quote me over $6,000 CAD for business class flights. I booked the flights myself for less than $2,000. Yes, it feels like they quote those crazy prices on purpose so people won't book air through them.

Compare this to our upcoming cruise on Celebrity in May. Their online booking system quoted $3,300 CAD. The lowest price I was able to find independently was $3,700 CAD. Not only Celebrity price is cheaper, it's fully refundable if you cancel before the final payment, the fine is only $270 if you cancel after the final payment, and of course you are protected in case of flight delays since you booked through them.

Am I able to DIY? Yes, but Celebrity option is cheaper, more convenient and gives a better protection.

Oceania as a cruise line is in a different league than Celebrity, but their air program is undefendable. If Celebrity can do it, I don't see why Oceania can't. I assume Celebrity doesn't lose money on this program either..

Celebrity needs an air program if for no other reason than their demographic is far less traveled than O’s. And they can afford to make it more robust using savings from onboard savings (e.g., mediocre food quality, crew ratios, etc.)

As I have explained in multiple posts above, O’s air department is a provided “convenience” rather than a profit center.

You yourself, me and a bunch of other folks have demonstrated that DIY is far more efficacious -particularly when you have very specific air preferences (I.e. non-stop, FF points/perks, dedicated 24 hr CS.....)

As for “protection,” remember that any cruise line’s air program guarantees nothing other than selling you tickets and assisting with any necessary rebooking. I’ve experienced first hand emergent needs on a ship to rebook flights due to changed end port. Folks who used O air did have the convenience of rebooking done for them albeit with little choice of options. As a higher end United FF, I had immediate access to CS via satellite phone provided by the ship at no charge AND coverage of my change fees.

That said, DIY can also have its challenges. As I’ve posted before, online price search engines (both ITA matrix and airlines’ websites don’t always show the least expensive way to do the multi-city routes needed by many cruisers. But, saving $$$ (sometimes thousands) with a few extra hours of hardy research works out to be an efficacious exercise.

10 minutes ago, Croooser said:

How does NCL's air program compare with Carnival Corp and RCL Corp programs? It should not be too difficult or expensive for Oceania and Regent to use the NCL program.

Oceania, Regent and NCL all use the same air department, talent agency, IT and many other support services. Consolidation was a key factor in the decision to partner as NCL Holding. Fortunately for Oceania, the “buck stops” at FDR.

On 10/16/2021 at 12:14 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oceania, Regent and NCL all use the same air department, talent agency, IT and many other support services. Consolidation was a key factor in the decision to partner as NCL Holding. Fortunately for Oceania, the “buck stops” at FDR.

We have some idea how much you enjoy “O” and will soon form our own opinion.  But consider I was just on Seabourn’s online airline booking engine looking for one way business class air from Paris to the East Coast and quickly found several good options for under $1000 with no extra $175 booking fee.  And here on SB we have a full hot breakfast menu In all the cabins.  So even before we get on the Marina that is two strikes against “O.”  

I am puzzled how a line that makes such a big deal about their excellent cuisine does not offer a full in room hot breakfast menu.   But still counting down the days to the Marina 😋

Hank

20 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have some idea how much you enjoy “O” and will soon form our own opinion.  But consider I was just on Seabourn’s online airline booking engine looking for one way business class air from Paris to the East Coast and quickly found several good options for under $1000 with no extra $175 booking fee.  And here on SB we have a full hot breakfast menu In all the cabins.  So even before we get on the Marina that is two strikes against “O.”  

I am puzzled how a line that makes such a big deal about their excellent cuisine does not offer a full in room hot breakfast menu.   But still counting down the days to the Marina 😋

Hank

Oceania certainly does have its idiosyncrasies.

But, I keep doing my best to remind folks that FDR (along with Bob Binder, who now serves as the O CEO) developed a formula for O aimed at a very specific demographic (far more complex than just age and bank account). That formula still works with most O cruises having more than 75% repeat passengers and popular itineraries always selling out within days of bookings opening.

Though it may irk some folks that the O air program is perceived to be lacking or pre-Cruise “a la carte” choice of some cruise options (that are inclusive in sister line Regent) may seem bothersome, O’s main focus on food (perhaps not including in-cabin hot breakfast for some cabin categories) and long itineraries remains the line’s highest priorities. 

And should the “O Life” experience (both program and ambiance) not work for some new customers (or eventually even old customers like me), there’s no worry for O as a business. We are “rounding errors” easily replaced by many many folks looking to try  (or continue with) Oceania.

28 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oceania certainly does have its idiosyncrasies.

But, I keep doing my best to remind folks that FDR (along with Bob Binder, who now serves as the O CEO) developed a formula for O aimed at a very specific demographic (far more complex than just age and bank account). That formula still works with most O cruises having more than 75% repeat passengers and popular itineraries always selling out within days of bookings opening.

Though it may irk some folks that the O air program is perceived to be lacking or pre-Cruise “a la carte” choice of some cruise options (that are inclusive in sister line Regent) may seem bothersome, O’s main focus on food (perhaps not including in-cabin hot breakfast for some cabin categories) and long itineraries remains the line’s highest priorities. 

And should the “O Life” experience (both program and ambiance) not work for some new customers (or eventually even old customers like me), there’s no worry for O as a business. We are “rounding errors” easily replaced by many many folks looking to try  (or continue with) Oceania.

Let’s be clear that the “O” air program is terribly lacking when compared to most of their competition.  When you toss in the word “perceived” we perceive that as ridiculous cheerleading.  For us it meant booking our own air from Lima (at some financial risk) rather then relying on a cruise line Flex Air option available from many other lines.  Not to take away from what “O” does well, but they could improve their air program for little or no cost.  Given the fantastic itineraries offered by “O” a decent flex air program (with major discounted “P” Business Class fares (and other lower cost air options) should be a no brainer.   Next time you chat with FDR you might make the constructive suggestion.  And they also need to drop the ridiculous $175 pp custom add on.  Most lines dropped this kind of silly fee years ago.

Hank

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Let’s be clear that the “O” air program is terribly lacking when compared to most of their competition.  When you toss in the word “perceived” we perceive that as ridiculous cheerleading.  For us it meant booking our own air from Lima (at some financial risk) rather then relying on a cruise line Flex Air option available from many other lines.  Not to take away from what “O” does well, but they could improve their air program for little or no cost.  Given the fantastic itineraries offered by “O” a decent flex air program (with major discounted “P” Business Class fares (and other lower cost air options) should be a no brainer.   Next time you chat with FDR you might make the constructive suggestion.  And they also need to drop the ridiculous $175 pp custom add on.  Most lines dropped this kind of silly fee years ago.

Hank

I hear you but....

You are still missing the big picture: Want a better Air deal- perhaps even included bizclass? Or want everyone to have available hot breakfast in-cabin? Don’t want to have to figure out which booze package is better for you?

But, still want the great food and service? 

If so, you can select the other Oceania “option.” It’s called Regent of the Seven Seas. But, be prepared for a hefty price increase.

BTW: Once you’ve got a few O cruises under your belt (perhaps 3-4 of the long ones you usually do), you’ll find that the air deviation fee will be waived and you’ll be getting hundreds in SBC, blah blah blah. 

Again, the O “big picture” approach to cruising (including its relationship and mutually beneficial/profitable policy differences to its sister lines NCL and Regent) works well and keeps O flush with regular repeat customers.

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I hear you but....

You are still missing the big picture: Want a better Air deal- perhaps even included bizclass? Or want everyone to have available hot breakfast in-cabin? Don’t want to have to figure out which booze package is better for you?

But, still want the great food and service? 

If so, you can select the other Oceania “option.” It’s called Regent of the Seven Seas. But, be prepared for a hefty price increase.

BTW: Once you’ve got a few O cruises under your belt (perhaps 3-4 of the long ones you usually do), you’ll find that the air deviation fee will be waived and you’ll be getting hundreds in SBC, blah blah blah. 

Again, the O “big picture” approach to cruising (including its relationship and mutually beneficial/profitable policy differences to its sister lines NCL and Regent) works well and keeps O flush with regular repeat customers.

You certainly can try to rationalize the irrational 😁.  Regent is a fine product but often overpriced when compared to Seabourn and Silverseas.  We do not get into all this loyalty stuff and simply seek out good value whether it be low cost or expensive.  Regent may well be in our future when we see the right itinerary and price.  On the other hand the idea of being on the upcoming Seabourn Venture in Antarctica is more tempting as that ship will carry 2 submarines able to explore beneath the arctic seas.  That will price out at Regent prices with some extra options.  My point is that when you suggest that folks go to Regent for the decent air program lacking at O it does not excuse O.

Hank

• Like 5