Confused about the vaccine attestation for kids

matymil

So i wanted to see if i could get some clarification on here before i waited on hold to call Carnival. We are going on a cruise with our toddler in Feb 2022. Like everyone else we were sent an email to complete our vaccine attestation questionnaire. I find it odd that we got this 4 months out because they ask if you are vaccinated and if not do you have an exemption letter.....while you cant even apply for an exemption letter yet. I understand the reason for this is probably because they are waiting to see if the CDC allows 5 year olds and up to get the vaccine. Since we just got back from our last cruise a couple of weeks ago and had no problems getting our 2 year old an exemption i put that he was "unvaccinated with an exemption letter" because i just assumed there wouldn't be an issue getting one. I was told by our TA to change my answer because that may actually keep us from getting an exemption for our son (why is it even an option then). So i did go back and change it to "unvaccinated w/o an exemption letter". So that i was able to fix on my own however i was also recently told that 'John Heald said that no additional exemptions would be given to children under 5 until after Feb 2022" I cannot find that information anywhere and i feel like thats something i would have heard about. Did anyone hear him say that, see a post he made about it or know if they changed the exemption policy? Sorry for the long winded nature of the post 🙂

You answered your own question.  The reason they aren't doing exemptions right now, is that it appears that the vaccine will be approved for younger children.  So things may change as it gets closer if the CDC doesn't approve the vaccines for younger children.

5 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

You answered your own question.  The reason they aren't doing exemptions right now, is that it appears that the vaccine will be approved for younger children.  So things may change as it gets closer if the CDC doesn't approve the vaccines for younger children.

My question was if anyone heard John Heald address this or know if they changed the policy. Im just speculating like most at this point but i figured if anyone heard it from John then it is legit. Like i said, i just got back two weeks ago with zero issues getting an exemption.

Vaccines are expected to be approved any week now for 5 and up. That will also be 2 and up as well. Once the CDC approves vaccines for 2 and up, there is no need for an exemption. Everyone onboard is vaccinated and there are no more questions. Under 2 is obviously unvaccinated. Ports will deny ships if there is an unvaccinated passenger. This is why Carnival or any cruise line for that matter will require vaccines to sail. They can use the ports as the reason for denial regardless of medical or religious reasons. 

It'll be interesting to see how the protocols are handled for those under 5.  Seems clear to me that once approved by the regulators, 5-12 yo will need to be vaxxed to sail.  I'm hoping that the CDC will then adjust its guidance and that the cruiselines will modify their protocols accordingly.  What I'm confident about is that Carnival will continue to sail 'fully vaxxed' (meaning above the 95% threshold) for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Vaccines are expected to be approved any week now for 5 and up. That will also be 2 and up as well. Once the CDC approves vaccines for 2 and up, there is no need for an exemption. Everyone onboard is vaccinated and there are no more questions. Under 2 is obviously unvaccinated. Ports will deny ships if there is an unvaccinated passenger. This is why Carnival or any cruise line for that matter will require vaccines to sail. They can use the ports as the reason for denial regardless of medical or religious reasons. 

They have been saying 2-5 will be eligible for vaccines because all Ive heard is 5 and up? Where did you hear that ports will deny ships if they have unvaccinated passengers?

10 hours ago, jsglow said:

It'll be interesting to see how the protocols are handled for those under 5.  Seems clear to me that once approved by the regulators, 5-12 yo will need to be vaxxed to sail.  I'm hoping that the CDC will then adjust its guidance and that the cruiselines will modify their protocols accordingly.  What I'm confident about is that Carnival will continue to sail 'fully vaxxed' (meaning above the 95% threshold) for the foreseeable future.

Im thinking thats whats going to happen. If the CDC doesnt approve the vaccine for kids 2-5 i cant see Carnival banning that age group entirely from the ships, it would be too much money lost for them. They would probably just continue to test that age group on board like they are doing now.

3 minutes ago, matymil said:

They have been saying 2-5 will be eligible for vaccines because all Ive heard is 5 and up? Where did you hear that ports will deny ships if they have unvaccinated passengers?

The Bahamas are not allowing ships to dock if they have unvaccinated passengers (at this point that means those who are eligible to be vaccinated).

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/coronavirus/bahamas-orders-all-ships-to-show-the-vaccine-status-of-passengers

4 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

The Bahamas are not allowing ships to dock if they have unvaccinated passengers (at this point that means those who are eligible to be vaccinated).

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/coronavirus/bahamas-orders-all-ships-to-show-the-vaccine-status-of-passengers

This is literally in the first sentence of the article "except those 12 and younger or those with a medical excuse". We were just in the Bahamas with our son three weeks ago and had no issues getting off the ship with the bubble tour.

1 hour ago, matymil said:

This is literally in the first sentence of the article "except those 12 and younger or those with a medical excuse". We were just in the Bahamas with our son three weeks ago and had no issues getting off the ship with the bubble tour.

That was exactly my point.  They're not allowing "unvaccinated" cruise ships to dock.  If someone is eligible to get vaccinated but isn't, they're unvaccinated.  

On 10/14/2021 at 7:39 PM, matymil said:

So i wanted to see if i could get some clarification on here before i waited on hold to call Carnival. We are going on a cruise with our toddler in Feb 2022. Like everyone else we were sent an email to complete our vaccine attestation questionnaire. I find it odd that we got this 4 months out because they ask if you are vaccinated and if not do you have an exemption letter.....while you cant even apply for an exemption letter yet. I understand the reason for this is probably because they are waiting to see if the CDC allows 5 year olds and up to get the vaccine. Since we just got back from our last cruise a couple of weeks ago and had no problems getting our 2 year old an exemption i put that he was "unvaccinated with an exemption letter" because i just assumed there wouldn't be an issue getting one. I was told by our TA to change my answer because that may actually keep us from getting an exemption for our son (why is it even an option then). So i did go back and change it to "unvaccinated w/o an exemption letter". So that i was able to fix on my own however i was also recently told that 'John Heald said that no additional exemptions would be given to children under 5 until after Feb 2022" I cannot find that information anywhere and i feel like thats something i would have heard about. Did anyone hear him say that, see a post he made about it or know if they changed the exemption policy? Sorry for the long winded nature of the post 🙂

It is odd and a bug that you received the email months before you should have. Ignore it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom2 said:

That was exactly my point.  They're not allowing "unvaccinated" cruise ships to dock.  If someone is eligible to get vaccinated but isn't, they're unvaccinated.  

Um....ok. I think our definitions of unvaccinated are different which is fine. In your world, if a toddler is not considered "unvaccinated" then why make the comment in this thread? 🤷‍♂️

Just now, BlerkOne said:

It is odd and a bug that you received the email months before you should have. Ignore it.

From what i heard everyone with cruises in the months of Jan/Feb got them. Everyone in our cruise group got the email. I did think it was really weird though because for our Sept cruise we filled out our survey only afew weeks out.

15 hours ago, matymil said:

Um....ok. I think our definitions of unvaccinated are different which is fine. In your world, if a toddler is not considered "unvaccinated" then why make the comment in this thread? 🤷‍♂️

In my world? I'm sorry I didn't explain it well enough for you to understand. YOU asked "Where did you hear that ports will deny ships if they have unvaccinated passengers".  I simply answered the question. You're making a big deal out of nothing, sorry I tried to explain.