random allocated seating

brian1

Hi all,in the UK our biggest budget airline Ryanair has a policy where if you don't buy a seat their algorithm deliberately separates couples.I just wondered if any other airline has this method of blackmailing people to prebuy seats.Ryanair denied this when it first came out but it was obvious when almost overnight couples were never sat together if they didn't prebook.TIA for any of your experienced opinions,Brian.

I might add I haven't any gripe against Ryanair,in fact we use them several times a year.Cheap and cheerful,cabin crew friendly unlike some airlines I've been on.You just get what you pay for.Just wondering if any other airline carries out this practise.

To, hopefully, contribute in a positive manner, here in the U.S. most of the 'Ultra Low Cost' carriers will do their best to not separate children from one of the parents, yet if the family wants to sit together then they must pay.

Many of us just think of that as a 'cost' for going cheap, as it were.

I do not quite believe that RA's computers deliberately selects different seats for couples vs random selection of seats for each person who chooses to not pay for selecting.

Can you not keep selecting seats until one becomes acceptable for two (2) or more passengers traveling together? A pain, yet a way to get around buying a specific seat and get close(r).

Also, might it be possible to wait until you board to find out if someone is willing to switch seats, that is if they had not paid for selecting the seat they were in?

Is paying for a seat selection at or still below the cost of flying a legacy carrier or is the goal to just get the lowest price possible without paying any more than the lowest 'advertized' price?

bon voyage

16 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

To, hopefully, contribute in a positive manner, here in the U.S. most of the 'Ultra Low Cost' carriers will do their best to not separate children from one of the parents, yet if the family wants to sit together then they must pay.

Many of us just think of that as a 'cost' for going cheap, as it were.

I do not quite believe that RA's computers deliberately selects different seats for couples vs random selection of seats for each person who chooses to not pay for selecting.

Can you not keep selecting seats until one becomes acceptable for two (2) or more passengers traveling together? A pain, yet a way to get around buying a specific seat and get close(r).

Also, might it be possible to wait until you board to find out if someone is willing to switch seats, that is if they had not paid for selecting the seat they were in?

Is paying for a seat selection at or still below the cost of flying a legacy carrier or is the goal to just get the lowest price possible without paying any more than the lowest 'advertized' price?

bon voyage

Thanks for that.Years ago Ryanair always kept couples together when RAS but it seemed to change almost overnight when couples were often at opposite ends of the plane.Airlines now state "we cannot guarantee sitting together unless you reserve and pay for seating".I assumed they are following the same policy.We flew Ryanair twice within the last 3 weeks and both times my wife was in a row of 3 on her own and I was nearby in a row of 3 with 1 other person.On one of the flights the other persons mother was on her own 3 rows in the front.When the doors shut everyone switched around obviously.My other point is it makes a mockery of the covid protocol in Europe by seating strangers together.We normally pay but on these occasions experimented with no hand luggage and RAS and it does keep the cost down considerably and it's only a 3 hr flight.Cheers,Brian.