And, then, there was a false positive.

2Shoes2Go

Now that it’s resolved, I thought someone might benefit from our experience. We were to cruise on Oct 11th, so went to our local urgent care for a rapid test on Oct 9th. We’ve tested there before, with no problem. Not sure what happened this day. Young lady, who did our tests, wasn’t too professional, js. Someone else brought us the bad news. DH was good, I was “positive.” Full Cruise Stop. The anxiety expressed here, is warranted.

They refused to retest. I had and have no symptoms at all. We went home and I sacrificed two of our proctored Binax. Didn’t proctor them. Second one, I rubbed my brain stem. Both negative. I got our PVP on the phone to help. B2B2B looking like cancelled. She’s wonderful, btw. Went ahead and moved the first leg three weeks out. She said she’d see what she could find out for us.

After isolating three days, I decided to do a PCR drive thru at CVS. Came back less than 24 hrs later. Negative.

Posting this portion now, will continue. Lost it all at posting once.

• Like 6

After talking, again, with our PVP we found that the second legs (20 days total) were probably not going to happen. Because of the initial positive result, my DH, who of course, is like a husband to me, was out of the cruise for 14 days from that first test. The last leg, beginning Exactly fourteen days later! So, we were done. Our PVP moved all three cruises out. No money was lost. Internet to be refunded. I didn’t even have to submit my result document. She took care of all of it.

So, now I will join in the anxieties for testing going forward. Yes, we try again in about two weeks. Cruising is still worth it for us, but, it’s not as much fun. Here’s hoping everyone has good testing results! I can’t imagine how devastating this would be to many cruisers.

• Like 3

Guest BasicSailor

You have had a false positive and then retested with negative . I'm sure there are false positives with test coming from everywhere. Not enough time to take a second test before you cruised .

Talk about timing, Sorry for your scudded cruise problems. 

24 minutes ago, bstel said:

I think you panicked, you should have proctored the 2 at home tests and since both were negative, i would have gone on the cruise.  i know some will disagree.

The the OP would have had to lie on the health questionnaire where they ask if you have had a recent positive test. The OP did the right thing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

Cruising is still worth it for us, but, it’s not as much fun. Here’s hoping everyone has good testing results! I can’t imagine how devastating this would be to many cruisers.

I think that's true of many of us. Bookings are reported to be down since pretesting started. So it's not just you and me. And it's all the mask rules for carnival. I know some say they love masks and dont mind wearing them .. I do. 

I would book more at these prices if things were like before .. prices wouldnt be down if they were like before. Right now I'm just concentrating on what I booked prior to pretesting. Carnival isnt giving me any rates I cant say no to. Tempting yes, cant say no to .. so far no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

After talking, again, with our PVP we found that the second legs (20 days total) were probably not going to happen. Because of the initial positive result, my DH, who of course, is like a husband to me, was out of the cruise for 14 days from that first test. The last leg, beginning Exactly fourteen days later! So, we were done. Our PVP moved all three cruises out. No money was lost. Internet to be refunded. I didn’t even have to submit my result document. She took care of all of it.

So, now I will join in the anxieties for testing going forward. Yes, we try again in about two weeks. Cruising is still worth it for us, but, it’s not as much fun. Here’s hoping everyone has good testing results! I can’t imagine how devastating this would be to many cruisers.

Hey Cindy, so sorry this happened to you. The anxiety with these tests is palpable. We are doing a B2B2S on the Miracle and Panorama starting today and we did our tests on Wednesday. So stressful, but we both tested negative. Don't know what we would have done if one of us tested positive since we've been out here in Long Beach for six days already. Give our best to Jerry.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

I’m sorry this happened to you. I had Covid in August. I test today for a Sunday sailing. I’m anxious as I have read you can show positive for up to 90 days. 

I think you have anti-bodies for that long but in order to insure you are over the contagious state for COVID, don't you have to test negative?   That's what I'm hearing from co-workers who have had children test positive, quarantine and then retest negative before schools will let them back.

5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I think you have anti-bodies for that long but in order to insure you are over the contagious state for COVID, don't you have to test negative?   That's what I'm hearing from co-workers who have had children test positive, quarantine and then retest negative before schools will let them back.

No. They did that in the very beginning, until they realized that you can test positive much longer than you are contagious. For over a year now, the standard is that you are no longer contagious after 10 days as long as your symptoms are gone. You can continue to test positive for months after. So no retesting is required 

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

No. They did that in the very beginning, until they realized that you can test positive much longer than you are contagious. For over a year now, the standard is that you are no longer contagious after 10 days as long as your symptoms are gone. You can continue to test positive for months after. So no retesting is required 

OK Thanks.

Good luck with your testing and enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, bstel said:

I think you panicked, you should have proctored the 2 at home tests and since both were negative, i would have gone on the cruise.  i know some will disagree.

I 100% agree with you. Should have proctored that test. If we test positive, we test again and then again. We are not taking a chance of a false positive ruining our vacation. You choose which test to present to Carnival at the terminal. They do not have any access to your medical records. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

Now that it’s resolved, I thought someone might benefit from our experience. We were to cruise on Oct 11th, so went to our local urgent care for a rapid test on Oct 9th. We’ve tested there before, with no problem. Not sure what happened this day. Young lady, who did our tests, wasn’t too professional, js. Someone else brought us the bad news. DH was good, I was “positive.” Full Cruise Stop. The anxiety expressed here, is warranted.

They refused to retest. I had and have no symptoms at all. We went home and I sacrificed two of our proctored Binax. Didn’t proctor them. Second one, I rubbed my brain stem. Both negative. I got our PVP on the phone to help. B2B2B looking like cancelled. She’s wonderful, btw. Went ahead and moved the first leg three weeks out. She said she’d see what she could find out for us.

After isolating three days, I decided to do a PCR drive thru at CVS. Came back less than 24 hrs later. Negative.

Posting this portion now, will continue. Lost it all at posting once.

That happens more often than you know.  IMO Rapid tests are not as accurate as PCR.

1 hour ago, momof3cruisers said:

I’m sorry this happened to you. I had Covid in August. I test today for a Sunday sailing. I’m anxious as I have read you can show positive for up to 90 days. 

Good luck.  I tested positive in mid-August and by mid-September, my test came back clear.  Hoping you are negative now! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bstel said:

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

The the OP would have had to lie on the health questionnaire where they ask if you have had a recent positive test. The OP did the right thing. 

I think the questionnaire limits the question to "recent positive test" - it doesn't include "false positive test"... I read on some health org website (WHO, CDC, etc., can't recall) that stats on the rapid antigen tests show that 17% of the positives are false positives.  Note that's not the same thing as saying 17% of the tests are false positives.  That's still alot!  With that in mind I would definitely retest and if the second one, same or next day, came back negative I would probably cruise if I also felt fine and had no symptoms.

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 2

My grandkids tested positive a few weeks ago.  The school only said they need to stay home for 10 days.  No retest required to come back to school.  My company policy also changed to stay home for 10 days no retest required.

• Like 1

I did think about going with a proctored test with negative result, but, there was an undeniable fear of getting onboard and testing positive between the legs of the cruises, or getting sick onboard. We are friends with many of the crew and officers and I would have been horrified if I had exposed them to the virus. So, we went with the more honest, safe choice. May do differently, if it happens again, now that I find false positives are not that unusual. But, answering those health questions and realizing I’m not being truthful, isn’t comfortable. 
Thank you for the good insights! Hopefully, won’t happen again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

What's the expiration on a Binax test, say I buy two now for me and DH but we don't use them till January 2022?  TIA!

The two I “wasted” were dated 10-05-2021. I believe they are good for three more months from expiry?

Edited by 2Shoes2Go
Spelling
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

No. We all know that there are false positives. If I have ZERO symptoms, test positive, I am taking a second test to verify. If that one is positive then oh well. But if it is negative, I now have to inaccurate test results. I will take a 3rd to determine which is accurate. I'm vaccinated, tested negative at least twice, so I am good to go. I will have no moral issue with it either.

I agree with this. If I got an antigen positive result AND had NO symptoms, I would test again.  I would probably do a rapid NAAT/PCR vs 2 more antigen just to be on the safer side though.  Like I said in my first post, not everyone will agree.  But I also have worked in a "bio" field for over a decade and know the in's and out's of antigen/PCR/etc since I worked with them all the time.

• Like 1

It's so unfortunate that this happened, but delaying is the right thing to do. My fingers are crossed for you the next time.

Numerous people have commented through the forums about how they're not sure they will cruise because of the hassle and anxiety of the testing requirement, or that it makes it difficult to relax and enjoy the cruise. In our case, the only reason my husband and I are cruising soon is due to the assurance of the testing requirement. Requiring a negative test result from all who board the ship makes it an immensely safer proposition and will allow us to relax and enjoy this trip.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, alleghator said:

It's so unfortunate that this happened, but delaying is the right thing to do. My fingers are crossed for you the next time.

Numerous people have commented through the forums about how they're not sure they will cruise because of the hassle and anxiety of the testing requirement, or that it makes it difficult to relax and enjoy the cruise. In our case, the only reason my husband and I are cruising soon is due to the assurance of the testing requirement. Requiring a negative test result from all who board the ship makes it an immensely safer proposition and will allow us to relax and enjoy this trip.

We feel the same.  We are only comfortable cruising because everyone onboard has recently tested negative, and the (very limited) number of unvaccinated people are tested twice and are easy to spot and avoid.  

Pre-vax, a trip away where I couldn't estimate my risk meant an extra ten days off work after returning home.  I was (apparently one of the few who was) thrilled when the Bahamas stepped in and let me cruise.  We've already taken two and will continue to book as long as they keep giving me a place to vacation without needing to isolate upon my return to protect the fragile population I work with.  I'm sure there are many others in 'similar boats' for various reasons.  

I am grateful that the OP did not take the risk.  I like to think I'd do the same.  I certainly would have taken every single home test I had just to be able to convince myself I hadn't been walking around infectious.  Then a PCR for my work.  I'm not even sure what our procedure is for a false positive! 

Anyway, OP, thanks for weighing it out and deciding to make the safe, smart call.  It couldn't have been easy!

• Like 2

Sorry this happened to you. This is the one reason why I’m glad they aren’t requiring testing at the port. I’m sure it wasn’t much of a comfort but it would have been even more devastating to have a false positive after flying in and lining up at the port. 

I’m glad your PVP made it easy for you and I hope you have an amazing cruise!

• Like 1