Disembarkation in Rome

harryspotter

Hi, on my last cruise, we disembarked in Monaco and we had to wait around for hours for taxis.

I am planning my next cruise and the final day is Rome.  

Just wondering if I will be waiting for hours again or if it will be fairly straightforward to get into Civitavecchia for an overnight stay?

Mark

27 minutes ago, harryspotter said:

Hi, on my last cruise, we disembarked in Monaco and we had to wait around for hours for taxis.

I am planning my next cruise and the final day is Rome.  

Just wondering if I will be waiting for hours again or if it will be fairly straightforward to get into Civitavecchia for an overnight stay?

Mark

Not sure I understand your question. The port is in Civatecchia. When you disembark for Rome you are in Civatecchia. You are not in Rome. Rome is 50 miles from the port. Are you staying overnight in Civaterecchia or Rome?

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

At this point, nobody knows how many taxis will be available. You don’t say when you’re cruising, But perhaps if you check back closer to your cruise date you will get up to the minute information. 

If a taxi is needed at Civatecchia to go anywhere it should be prearranged. When I was going to Rome from Civatecchia by train twice, we ended up rolling our  luggage thru the streets to the train station as there were no taxis except prearranged taxis. It was not far but some might not want to do that. If staying ovenight at a hotel in Civatecchia it might be within walking distance from the port, some are. I would contact the hotel for info if indeed staying in Civatecchia.

• Like 1

If you are disembarking independently in Civitavecchia (e.g., without a ship transfer), there are free port buses that circulate and will take you (and your luggage) to the port entrance.

You will not find any "free" taxis IN the port in all likelihood as they normally only let in taxis with pre-booked reservations. I don't know how many taxis you'll find at the port entrance.

Where are you staying in Civitavecchia?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you are disembarking independently in Civitavecchia (e.g., without a ship transfer), there are free port buses that circulate and will take you (and your luggage) to the port entrance.

You will not find any "free" taxis IN the port in all likelihood as they normally only let in taxis with pre-booked reservations. I don't know how many taxis you'll find at the port entrance.

Or you can make it worry free and book a private driver to pick you up at the port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry, looks like my question may not have been that clear.

Just looking at what I should do once I disembark so that I am not waiting around for hours.

My flight will be the day following disembarkation so I could stay in the port area or go to Rome or even stay near the airport.

Just trying to figure out the best way to get out of the port and it looks like booking a shuttle or something like that.

Wondered what others have done?

Mark

Nothing booked yet...

3 minutes ago, harryspotter said:

Nothing booked yet...

I would advise any other option than staying in Civitavecchia. It is a small and not very charming port city, and the hotels are average at best -- they know they have a built-in customer base with all the cruises and they do little to improve their dated properties.

You can take the ship transfer to the airport where there are a couple of good hotel options: a Hilton that is attached to airport and has a shuttle into Rome (although it may or may not be running right now due to COVID.....)  I would probably choose this as an easy option UNLESS seeing more of Rome is important to you. I say "seeing more of" because by the time you get to the airport, check in, sort out the shuttle time and get back into Rome you'll have limited time to sightsee.

If you want more ideas/suggestions I also suggest posting on the Italy forum where there are several of us who are pretty well versed on the various options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

We took the shuttle from the boat to the port entrance.  We did not have a lot of luggage, so we just walked the short distance to the train and took it to Rome.  We stayed at the airport Hilton, which is an easy walk from the train and then to the airport.

A little confusing perhaps to the OP as you left out the part where you have to transfer from the regional train from Civitavecchia to the line that goes to the airport at some point in one of the Rome stations. 

With more than very light luggage it is quite the hassle now in Civi to use the train from port to airport as it involves:

1. port bus to front gate (you transfer luggage onto bus and off it)
  2. another public bus from front gate to station (again, you handle luggage on/off)
  3. no elevator or escalator at station and most departures involve having to go down and then up a full flight of stairs.
  4. load your own luggage onto train compartment and stow it  (up 3-4 narrow steps to carriage)
  5. alight at Rome Termini (main station) and unload luggage -- walk the equivalent of several blocks to reach the dedicated line to the airport
  6. board new train and re-stow luggage
  7. get off at airport and tow your luggage to check in. There are elevators at the airport that can be used with large luggage.

Some who haven't cruised out of Civi in the last 5 years or so may not be aware that they moved the main port entrance since then and the walk to the train station is twice as long as it previously was.

• Thanks 6

Had prebooked a driver to pick us up at the port (Rome In Limo) and drive us to our hotel that was close to Piazza Navona.  Next day Rome in Limo picked us up at the hotel and took us to the airport.  Easy peasy and we got to sightsee in Rome, which was lovely.  Highly recommend Rome in Limo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

43 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

A little confusing perhaps to the OP as you left out the part where you have to transfer from the regional train from Civitavecchia to the line that goes to the airport at some point in one of the Rome stations. 

With more than very light luggage it is quite the hassle now in Civi to use the train from port to airport as it involves:

2. another public bus from front gate to station (again, you handle luggage on/off)
  3. no elevator or escalator at station and most departures involve having to go down and then up a full flight of stairs.
  4. load your own luggage onto train compartment and stow it  (up 3-4 narrow steps to carriage)
  5. alight at Rome Termini (main station) and unload luggage -- walk the equivalent of several blocks to reach the dedicated line to the airport
  7. get off at airport and tow your luggage to check in. There are elevators at the airport that can be used with large luggage.

Some who haven't cruised out of Civi in the last 5 years or so may not be aware that they moved the main port entrance since then and the walk to the train station is twice as long as it previously was.

May be a hassle or some, but it was easy for us.  It was just an option.  Thanks for filling in the details

Edited by Phxazzcruisers
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is where a private driver can help, in the scheme of things, really not a huge expense after coming of a very expensive cruise, JMO.  I am a firm believer it making my vacations as worry free as possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Had prebooked a driver to pick us up at the port (Rome In Limo) and drive us to our hotel that was close to Piazza Navona.  Next day Rome in Limo picked us up at the hotel and took us to the airport.  Easy peasy and we got to sightsee in Rome, which was lovely.  Highly recommend Rome in Limo.

We've pre-booked Rome in Limo as well, to pick us up at the airport to the hotel in central Rome, then next day to the port.  After the cruise they will pick us up at the port, drive to Rome, drop luggage at Rome hotel, then tour for 5 hours....next day they'll drive us to the airport.  Nice to have a workable 'plan' and time in Rome.  Booking early is recommended...so many are now relying on this type of transport apparently.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

This is where a private driver can help, in the scheme of things, really not a huge expense after coming of a very expensive cruise, JMO.  I am a firm believer it making my vacations as worry free as possible.

There are other options, though, that meet somewhere in the middle and cost less than a RIL transfer -- such as shared shuttle companies that cost as little as 80-90 euro per couple. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

There are other options, though, that meet somewhere in the middle and cost less than a RIL transfer -- such as shared shuttle companies that cost as little as 80-90 euro per couple. 

They seem from the first post to want something quick and not wait for hours. A prearranged service like RIL or another similar taxi company would accomplish that. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

They seem from the first post to want something quick and not wait for hours. A prearranged service like RIL would accomplish that. 

Just putting it out there for the OP or anyone else. 

I've never had to wait "hours" for a shared shuttle. At most a few minutes and probably not as long as I'd be waiting for a taxi if one was not pre-booked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've never had to wait "hours" for a shared shuttle. At most a few minutes and probably not as long as I'd be waiting for a taxi if one was not pre-booked.

Hailing a taxi in Rome can be traumatizing 😰😰😰

• Haha 2

i did the shared shuttle thing at the Civitavecchia port one time and the driver would not leave until every seat was filled. That was about 25 minutes. One option for lessoning the expense of a taxi is finding other cruisers to share with. We did that the last time with RIL finding shares on our Cruise Critic roll call. 

Do you want to go into the city of Rome?  If you do, plan to walk off nice and early, have a private transfer waiting for you and get going in to the city so you have a full day and night to see it.  If are are content with just going to the airport, there are a lot of nice hotels around there and in the city of Fumincino right next to the airport.  It is a nice little town to spend some time walking around, lots of nice choices for food and you are only a few minutes from the airport.   Either way, do a private transfer from the ship, maybe join your roll call and find some folks to share the ride with you.  From Rome, again, do a private transfer.  If you are close to the airport, a taxi is cheap and easy, just arrange it the night before with your hotel.  We have always used Rome Cabs, never a problem, always a smile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1