T-mobile, the Edge, and Iphone. Help needed

flifish64

We are with T-mobile and sailing on the Edge on Oct 30.  I understand I need to use my phone to access my room, menus, etc while on the Edge.  How do I do these things without incurring high charges from T-mobile.  They just had me change my plan for our 2 phones for the month and told me to put the phone on Roaming and not to connect to the ship.  This doesn't sound right.

Please help me understand what settings I need to use.

thank you

Carol

6 minutes ago, flifish64 said:

We are with T-mobile and sailing on the Edge on Oct 30.  I understand I need to use my phone to access my room, menus, etc while on the Edge.  How do I do these things without incurring high charges from T-mobile.  They just had me change my plan for our 2 phones for the month and told me to put the phone on Roaming and not to connect to the ship.  This doesn't sound right.

thank you

Carol

Don't put put your phone in roaming!!! Put your phone in Airplane mode, turn on WiFi and connect to the ships WiFi. The Celebrity App which you need to download from the app store will connect for free if you don't have the ships WiFi package. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, flifish64 said:

thank you

Carol

While at home, download the app and log in.  While on the ship, put your phone in airplane mode first and then turn the WiFi on and connect to the ships WiFi.  While connected to the ships WiFi, start the app.  If you have trouble while on the ship, visit their tech center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Definitely listed to Charles4515!

The ships with the app that works allow you access the LAN (local area network) on board the ship without passing you to the WAN(Wide area network) that is the actual internet.  

By keeping your phone in airplane mode, you'll stay off the cell towers entirely.  You'll ONLY access the ship based stuff such as menus, etc.  I think the room may be bluetooth, but you can turn that on without turning on your cellular radio as well.  

If you buy an internet package or have one included, you can probably still use iMessage and text messaging, but if you don't have an internet package, there is an app based message system that you can use to message others in your group who are on board.

If you need help, then when you get on board, there will be help available. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flifish64 said:

They just had me change my plan for our 2 phones for the month and told me to put the phone on Roaming and not to connect to the ship. 

There’s two things you can connect to while on the ship…

1. The ship’s cellular network for making calls

2. The ship’s WiFi for data stuff

Connecting to #1 is a big no-no because you’ll incur huge roaming charges if you do

Connecting to #2 is okay because it’s what’s required to run the Celebrity app

Connecting to #1 is why everyone including me says ‘put your phone in airplane mode first’. Doing that is the easiest way to ensure your NOT connected to the ship’s cellular network.

all you need to do while on the ship is put your phone on Airplane mode.   In airplane mode Wifi and Blue Tooth are still active.    You can use the app without a package by just clicking on Celebrity Guest and then use it. 

If you have a Wifi Package you connect to guest.onboardicafe.com and create an account and log into your account.    With the package you can also use the internet etc.

For room key - You have to be connected to Celebrity Guest and then press the key button and obtain a key.   It takes about 30 seconds and then you digital key is on the app.   

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

all you need to do while on the ship is put your phone on Airplane mode.   In airplane mode Wifi and Blue Tooth are still active. 

That’s actually kind of not correct.. initially, airplane mode turns off ALL radio transmissions on the iPhone except for Bluetooth. But the iPhone remembers what you turned on while in airplane mode and does the same thing the next time you start it.  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234

Same is true for Android BTW except that Android turns everything off initially.

Edited by DenGNNJ

6 hours ago, DenGNNJ said:

That’s actually kind of not correct.. initially, airplane mode turns off ALL radio transmissions on the iPhone except for Bluetooth. But the iPhone remembers what you turned on while in airplane mode and does the same thing the next time you start it.  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234

Same is true for Android BTW except that Android turns everything off initially.

Thanks for pointing out.  Wonder if phone model dependent on iPhone 12 Max Plus, when I invoke airplane mode it leaves WiFi snd Bluetooth active.  On my older phone I had to turn on WiFi manually. 

Regardless you have a great point and we should each check to confirm. 

Airplane mode off. 

759A61DB-65D6-4727-9E95-B77AE9FFE96D.thumb.png.ea3e95a600ed8a8fca9b87e4138ec6a7.png

Airplane mode on. 

9DBDE26C-8463-44A2-9F94-6FC0502DC872.thumb.png.6b2187509a6ae25aec26eb29f9105e21.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

31 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for pointing out.  Wonder if phone model dependent on iPhone 12 Max Plus, when I invoke airplane mode it leaves WiFi snd Bluetooth active.  On my older phone I had to turn on WiFi manually. 

I think you mean you have an iphone 12 Pro Max 😀 but it is not iPhone model dependent. The behavior was changed in iOS. At least since iOS 14. Maybe as early as iOS 13. Since you are now allowed to use WiFi on Airplanes during takeoff and landing in addition to during flight.,  Airplane mode now leaves both WiFi and Bluetooth on. Makes sense since you can now use WIFi all the time on airplanes.  On a side note if you turn WiFi off in the control panel it will automaticlly turn back on the next day. You have to turn WiFI off in settings for it to stay off. 

Edited by Charles4515

12 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Additional info. You don’t need your phone. When we were on Edge in July, paper menus were still available. We also didn’t use our phones to access our cabins. Key cards are still being distributed.

Your 100% correct.    I do find it a convenience to check activities an menus from my pocket when I think about it.  

Dailies are delivered each evening and menus are given to you when you are seated.   

I only occasionally use the key feature when I walk out and forget my card in the room.  

Just now, Charles4515 said:

I think you mean you have an iphone 12 Pro Max 😀 but it is not iPhone model dependent. The behavior was changed in iOS. At least since iOS 14. Maybe as early as iOS 13. Since you are now allowed to use WiFi on Airplanes during takeoff and landing in addition to during flight.,  Airplane mode now leaves both WiFi and Bluetooth on. Makes sense since you can now use WIFi all the time on airlines and don't have to have WiFi off during takeoff and landing. If you want them off then you have turn them off manually. On a side note if you turn WiFi off in the control panel it will automaticlly turn back on the next day. You have to turn WiFI off in settings for it to stay off. 

Your correct I have the Big one.   I'm glad you commented because I didn't remember having to manually turn on WiFi and BlueTooth for quite some time. 

I didn't know about the WiFi turning on automatically if in Airplane mode.    I guess I never turned it off. 

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for pointing out.  Wonder if phone model dependent on iPhone 12 Max Plus, when I invoke airplane mode it leaves WiFi snd Bluetooth active.

I have an iPhone 10 and that is how it works for me, I turn on Airplane mode and WiFi and Bluetooth stay on, if they were turned on. 

34 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have an iPhone 10 and that is how it works for me, I turn on Airplane mode and WiFi and Bluetooth stay on, if they were turned on. 

Or just fold up the little paper daily and keep it in your pocket and you’ll be good to go.  Keep the traditional key card with and no need to worry about the mobile device, just like the old days it can still be done.

12 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Additional info. You don’t need your phone. When we were on Edge in July, paper menus were still available. We also didn’t use our phones to access our cabins. Key cards are still being distributed.

Thank you!  Just what I need to know.  I plan on turning my phone off, putting it in the safe until we disembark.

15 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I think you mean you have an iphone 12 Pro Max 😀 but it is not iPhone model dependent. The behavior was changed in iOS. At least since iOS 14. Maybe as early as iOS 13. Since you are now allowed to use WiFi on Airplanes during takeoff and landing in addition to during flight.,  Airplane mode now leaves both WiFi and Bluetooth on. Makes sense since you can now use WIFi all the time on airplanes.  On a side note if you turn WiFi off in the control panel it will automaticlly turn back on the next day. You have to turn WiFI off in settings for it to stay off. 

It's not quite as cut and dried as your post suggests. I have an iPhone 7+ running iOS 15.0.2 and Airplane Mode most definitely turns off Wi-Fi. Bluetooth does remain on.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, flifish64 said:

thank you

Carol

Carol,

Please call T-mobile and ask them to tell you again what you have, what it costs, and what you can/should do. It sounds like T-m has set you up with a 1-month international plan for the 2 phones. All the major cell phone carriers have them. These come with and without limits on data and text.

We have T-m and because we travel so much, we have a monthly plan that provides us with unlimited data and text in over 200 countries at no extra charge. We leave roaming on so that we can access T-m cells in other countries. Phone calls from other countries are $0.25 per minute, but we use FaceTime or What'sApp for calls, which use data so are included in the unlimited data plan.

T-mobile has several plans, so you must contact T-m to tell you exactly what plan they set you up with, how much data and text you will have, what it will cost, how you should set up your phone, what you can and can't do, etc. If you're going to pay for a 1-month international plan, you might as well be able to use it. The T-m rep can also check your phone's settings to make sure it will access wifi networks when available, like the ship's wifi.

As helpful as everyone has been, you must talk with T-mobile to get accurate information.

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Or just fold up the little paper daily and keep it in your pocket and you’ll be good to go.  Keep the traditional key card with and no need to worry about the mobile device, just like the old days it can still be done.

That's us.  Our Samsung android phones are so old, the  X app would not work on them.  We usually keep the phones off..in the cabin  safe and use our tablet for e mail ( tablet also too old for the app)

Hoping  to upgrade soon but not going to carry around a phone! Great for those who want to..but we are happily lo tech.

All the people who have told you about going airplane mode and turning on just the WiFi are right on. 

But I am surprised at how many people say they turn their phones off and put them in the safe for the duration of the cruise? I use mine in every port for getting around. Maps and such. Tourist activities. In Europe I use it for Rick Steves tours. One of the biggest reasons for having T-Mobile is that your phone will work (for free) in all but six countries in the world. Just an observation.

• Like 2