Kettle in the Stateroom?

caneable

Being a citizen of the nation of the bottomless tea pot, U.K., I’m very partial to my cup of tea to the extent that I see coffee as a once a day, mid morning treat.  Unfortunately, wherever I board a NCL ship I find that my options are limited. Lipton’s tea bags do not render themselves well in my case, so I usually bring a handy supply of my own tea bags with me.  But then I have the issue of what to do for that first of the day cuppa. It has long been the case that I’ve found myself spluttering over cups of coffee tainted tea because the machine warming the water is a coffee maker. To avoid those spluttering moments we’ve often taken a kettle with us on our travels but not a cruise ship.  Can we do this or is it possible to have the coffee maker removed and replaced by a kettle. We’re booked into a Haven cabin next year. All advice welcome.

NCL usually has kettles when sailing from UK, but I would say since you are sailing in the Haven, you can request from your concierge to have one in your stateroom. Send an email to norwegianconciergedesk@ncl.com with your reservation number and cabin and ship in both quthe subject and in the body of the email and make as many requests as you want. I always request hypoallergenic pillows and the fridge to be emptied out.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, caneable said:

Being a citizen of the nation of the bottomless tea pot, U.K., I’m very partial to my cup of tea to the extent that I see coffee as a once a day, mid morning treat.  Unfortunately, wherever I board a NCL ship I find that my options are limited. Lipton’s tea bags do not render themselves well in my case, so I usually bring a handy supply of my own tea bags with me.  But then I have the issue of what to do for that first of the day cuppa. It has long been the case that I’ve found myself spluttering over cups of coffee tainted tea because the machine warming the water is a coffee maker. To avoid those spluttering moments we’ve often taken a kettle with us on our travels but not a cruise ship.  Can we do this or is it possible to have the coffee maker removed and replaced by a kettle. We’re booked into a Haven cabin next year. All advice welcome.

No Kettles in the Haven, but your Butler would be happy to bring you a nice hot teapot of water to get your teabags going in the morning. The last many cruises we have done in the Haven, the teabags offered were "Tea Forte" and I quite like the English Breakfast variety, so much that I ordered a case when I returned (very pricey but worth it). Word to the wise though, for my cruise in the Haven next month, as a backup I will bring my own teabags. I don't know about the UK, but here in the US there is a shortage of some tea flavors so I have been doing some minor hoarding for winter 😉.

you can also do the following. request your butler to bring a pot of hot water and assorted tea bags to your cabin at a designated time, go to the haven restaurant (if your ship has one) or the buffet, and get a cup of hot water. they also have a very nice assortment of different teas, so you arent stuck with lipton. my wife likes green tea, and impartial o either earl grey's breakfast tea or darjeeling. bot are available (las time we sailed) 

On 10/17/2021 at 1:19 PM, caneable said:

I’d actually taken the first reply as quite sufficient and had decided that I didn’t need to check any further.  But then I read the feedback.  I would not pretend to tell an American how to make coffee.  I recognise that I wouldn’t know what I was talking about.  So please don’t presume to tell me that you can have someone bring a pot of “hot” water to do the job. The water needs to be boiling ie straight from the kettle. I’ll talk to the concierge desk.

I suppose if the pot of hot water was an insulated carafe, and if the water poured into it had been boiling just before it was poured in, the water would be hot enough to brew tea. Definitely not the same as fresh out of the kettle, but sufficient.

You may be surprised to know that I am currently drinking tea that was brewed in a mug in my microwave oven! 😲 LOL  

Talking to the concierge ahead of time is the best idea. They will make sure your tea needs are met.

It is nice to see a discussion about tea for a change. Coffee gets mentioned quite a bit here, but not tea. I am always surprised by how many people pay extra for Starbucks coffee on a cruise. 

just curious, having read the original question, how many of you knew she was referring to a plug in tea kettle. 

she even asked if i knew what a tea kettle was. all my life, putting the kettle on to boil meant putting in water, placing it the stove, turning on the gas and waiting for the water to boil and the kettle to whistle.

WHO KNEW?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

just curious, having read the original question, how many of you knew she was referring to a plug in tea kettle. 

she even asked if i knew what a tea kettle was. all my life, putting the kettle on to boil meant putting in water, placing it the stove, turning on the gas and waiting for the water to boil and the kettle to whistle.

WHO KNEW?

I did know what she meant based on context.

But I would say "electric kettle" to Americans because I know it's not standard equipment for us. 

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

WHO KNEW?

It was clear to me. 

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

WHO KNEW?

I didn't know.  When I'm "fancy" I boil the water, stove top, drop in a bag and have tea for a day or so (I reheat in the microwave).  If I just want a cup...it's water heated in the microwave and a tea bag dropped in.   Oh...if my tea is too hot, I add in an ice cube for immediate cool down.

I figured kettle was just the British way of saying "a vessel to heat your water".

Yes, a kettle can either be "manual" and heated on a stove or "electric" and plugged in to boil water.

As a tea drinker (all my life - my Mom only drank tea), having access to tea when I travel is always a problem.  Those are the times that I have to resort to coffee or even cola.  I'll have either of those rather than a terrible cup of tea.  That's always so disappointing!

I have found that the hot water dispenser in the buffets on cruise ships put out very-nearly boiling water.  It's certainly hot enough to brew a cup.  

Yes, you have to get dressed and leave the cabin, but it's worth it to me.  No ordering tea via room service and trying to brew a cup with lukewarm water.  And then finding that they didn't bring the milk that you requested.

I was absolutely delighted to discover that they had PG Tips bags on one of my HAL sailings.  They also do a full English breakfast in the buffet.  And I found Marmite!  I'm not from the UK but I appreciate those items being available on a Caribbean sailing.  HAL also is the only line I've sailed that has afternoon tea where they pour tea from a pot rather than give you a bag and that little metal container (typically with lukewarm water).

I have been known to take my own tea bags, just in case.  That grey, smells-like-dust water that brews from most Lipton bags is not to be consumed! 😉

I totally understand where OP is coming from. I have the Breville electric loose tea brewer, and you'd be surprised how much a difference the temperature of water makes for the blend of tea (green, oolong, white, herbal, black, etc). 

In any case, I'd do what the first response stated, and contact your concierge. It would be amazing if they had something like the Breville so your water gets to the temperature of your liking depending on your blend of tea!

• Like 1

It’s very interesting that folks are discussing kettles, both electric and otherwise, tea bags, a morning cuppa, boiling water and so on...but...how come no one has mentioned the optimum accompaniment for that morning cuppa char which is a serving of kippers? 

• 1 month later...

I love electric kettles. I don't have to worry about burnt grounds or aged. Instant is spot on even espresso. We added an instant hot tap in our kitchen remodel and the temp is just right for instant anything. We do have ours set to 160 or so and our main hot water 135. Electric kettles & crackpots have been our travel go tos... I'm going to not be excited about finding hot water for My instant coffee or tea but... apparently my ncl drink package doesn't come with coffee? I hope whomever expert whatever I read that on was wrong. And no, Starbucks is not my favorite I don't understand why people even go there even though often in a bind I will. Even Mexico has better instant coffee & pre-made cold coffee Than what's offered in the states.

On 10/18/2021 at 7:56 PM, Shellbelle28 said:

This thread truly shines a light on the some of the differences many of us aren't even aware of in countries other than our own. 

For example, I nearly died tasting what they serve as ketchup in Australia and NZ. "To-mah-to Sauce." Shudder... 

I hear ya! It's funny what "we have to have" until we learn hey there's crap and then good stuff everywhere else. Even my family didn't understand why a instant hot tap at my sink was golden. And yes it knocks soap off dishes when hand washed and unclog gross stuff easier with a single cup of 170 degree almost boiling water lol. I've started ordering more Asian drinks and coffees while it's poked fun of in many places... I don't have to worry about extra appliances, kcups or fancy over priced new consumable brands. And I did have a k cup (before it was called that in the states) machine 14 years ago and struggled to find pods. Now if I could import more from the UK, Korea, and as we begin traveling again I look forward to enjoying other cultural delights ordered via Amazon sometimes eBay lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Siotha said:

I love electric kettles. I don't have to worry about burnt grounds or aged. Instant is spot on even espresso. We added an instant hot tap in our kitchen remodel and the temp is just right for instant anything. We do have ours set to 160 or so and our main hot water 135. Electric kettles & crackpots have been our travel go tos... I'm going to not be excited about finding hot water for My instant coffee or tea but... apparently my ncl drink package doesn't come with coffee? I hope whomever expert whatever I read that on was wrong. And no, Starbucks is not my favorite I don't understand why people even go there even though often in a bind I will. Even Mexico has better instant coffee & pre-made cold coffee Than what's offered in the states.

The drink package doesn’t include Starbucks, but you can still get a normal coffee. There are machines in the buffet where you can get them (and some bars etc I believe). Some people moan about the quality but it does fine for me, and from your comments it may do better than the Starbucks.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 3:11 AM, KeithJenner said:

The drink package doesn’t include Starbucks, but you can still get a normal coffee. There are machines in the buffet where you can get them (and some bars etc I believe). Some people moan about the quality but it does fine for me, and from your comments it may do better than the Starbucks.

Thank you for the clarification. Gotta love if we saw it on YouTube or the internet it must be true. I found the drinks packages difficult to "need" on ships.... and ncl before we were told about upgrades assured us it was no problem for us to have the all free at sea. I had a tiny electric kettle in my basket to check out... then negotiated new pj's so we could find our coffee & bfast wo thinking too hard lol. However I had already ordered many warm packet individual mixes we love in bulk before catching up in here and family looking at me like I was nuts juice was free but not coffee. It's our first on NCL.... ty for sharing I'd have been grumpy to toss my favorite coffees before boarding.