Is the "home" test the best option for FLL cruises?

michaeljc70

Since we will be in Flroida for 3 days before getting on our Celebrity cruise, getting tested where we live isn't an option.  The Abbott Binax NOW COVID 19 Antigen card home test is $70 for 2 and done by yourself and monitored via a laptop/phone camera.  We will be staying in the Las Olas area of FLL and won't have a car.  It seems the home test is the most convenient and cost effective option, but if anyone knows of a better option......

37 minutes ago, lowbudgetmama said:

Is it possible to DO the test on the morning of the cruise?? 

Yes, but you are cutting it close if something is wrong. Some tests come without fluid in the dropper, you could get an invalid result, you could disconnect on the test. I would be sure to have 1 extra per person of you are depending on it. I would not travel without negative tests first regardless.

Curative lab services has several kiosk locations in Fort Lauderdale, including the parking lot of the county court house. I believe they also provide services to the Board of Health.

My wife and I used Curative's drive up service at the Martin County Health Dept this week. Had results by email and text in fewer than 24 hours.  Free to us, and open to non-residents. 

18 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Curative lab services has several kiosk locations in Fort Lauderdale, including the parking lot of the county court house. I believe they also provide services to the Board of Health.

My wife and I used Curative's drive up service at the Martin County Health Dept this week. Had results by email and text in fewer than 24 hours.  Free to us, and open to non-residents. 

We are in Martin County and I explored their test option, but was told we couldn’t count on getting results within the required 48 hours.  Ended up getting a rapid antigen test at CVS in Tequesta (the only one in the area to offer the rapid test).  Good to know your results were received quickly!

On 10/17/2021 at 5:06 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

Yes, but you are cutting it close if something is wrong. Some tests come without fluid in the dropper, you could get an invalid result, you could disconnect on the test. I would be sure to have 1 extra per person of you are depending on it. I would not travel without negative tests first regardless.

I agree.  I plan on taking the test 2 days before in case I need a retest.  

On 10/18/2021 at 3:47 AM, Cienfuegos said:

The "best" option is the one that will get you results to go on your cruise. If you like the convenience of doing it at home, then that is the best. For most people, you are done with the test in less time it takes to drive to a testing facility. For me, that convenience and lack of worrying about the results back in time is the most important. Not sue why people even fly in without the results. The only way you can return home without quarantining and testing negative is to rent a car and drive.

• Like 1