Suite perks?

George C

Sadly no.  Their suite experience pales in comparison to Celebrity.  Free laundry and breakfast in Pinnacle grill with same menu as dining room is it.  The Neptune lounge has good coffee and iced tea. Just OK snacks. That’s about it.  After over 30 cruises in Neptune or Pinnacle suites I have moved on from HAL unless it’s a charter by a company that offers a cruise vacation that I do periodically.  

• Like 1

While the PG breakfast menu is similar to the MDR, there are still trays of pastries, fresh squeezed oj and mimosas which you don’t see in the MDR unless you want to pay a surcharge for the oj and mimosas.

I will disagree with goldsmip who has “moved on” so rarely eats in the Neptune Lounge.  I wouldn’t call everything there “snacks”.  You can easily do a lovely continental breakfast if you are so inclined on an early port day and the lunch and afternoon hors d’hoeuvre are enjoyable.  I don’t get some every day but I have certainly taken advantage here and there 😉 

Sadly though, other than a couple of events, there is no specialty dining or free drinks in the Lounge.  That has baffled me for some time.

Right now, HAL still has the best itineraries for where we want to go and see so…….  When that changes, we may well too 😉 

• Like 6

I always felt comfortable in the Neptune Lounge and could easily spend a few hours in there with a good book because there were so few distractions, it's never crowded and the HAL staff were fantastic if I needed something.  I usually did not go to the Pinnacle for breakfast because at that time I was more into room service.  I do feel there are more perks they could offer for Neptunes and Signatures, but don't for whatever reason.  

• Like 1

When we sailed in a Neptune in 2019 (last HAL cruise pre-Covid), we liked the small Neptune-assigned dining room, Club Orange which is only available on the 3 Pinnacle Class ships.  It has the MDR Menu plus one C.O. Entree, which the chef finishes in the room’s open kitchen. The breakfasts in C.O. were enjoyable since toast, pancakes etc made in that kitchen came hot to the table, with complimentary mimosas.

We often sail in Celebrity suites and used to love the original Michael’s Club with concierge, special gatherings, a full bar, bartender, server, and free drinks - and liked the Luminae suite dining room on the Solstice Class ships. It is a pretty, smaller room but the menu was limited and we often ordered from the MDR menu anyway. Celebrity’s planned “retreat” renovations for the whole fleet ground to a halt with the pandemic, so you can’t generalize about X suite class too well these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

When we sailed in a Neptune in 2019 (last HAL cruise pre-Covid), we liked the small Neptune-assigned dining room, Club Orange which is only available on the 3 Pinnacle Class ships.  It has the MDR Menu plus one C.O. Entree, which the chef finishes in the room’s open kitchen. The breakfasts in C.O. were enjoyable since toast, pancakes etc made in that kitchen came hot to the table, with complimentary mimosas.

We often sail in Celebrity suites and used to love the original Michael’s Club with concierge, special gatherings, a full bar, bartender, server, and free drinks - and liked the Luminae suite dining room on the Solstice Class ships. It is a pretty, smaller room but the menu was limited and we often ordered from the MDR menu anyway. Celebrity’s planned “retreat” renovations for the whole fleet ground to a halt with the pandemic, so you can’t generalize about X suite class too well these days.

Retreat is not the same across classes, but all celebrity has all day suite lounge with real drinks and all have suite restaurants.  Does pinnacle class offer free drinks?

40 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Does the Neptune lounge and Pinnacle grill have good windows for viewing on the Konigsdam?   We do have an aft Neptune suite.  So I think we will spend most of our time there.  

We also have an aft Neptune Suite on Koningsdam for our Thanksgiving cruise. The Neptune Lounge has no windows to the outside, and Suite meals (breakfast and dinner) are served in Orange Club down on deck 2 across from Blend. Easy elevator ride from aft suites. The Lounge is fun for relaxing and has  good munchies throughout the day. The Neptune Lounge staff are amazing at making almost any request happen! The Pinnacle does have good outside views.

Edited by twodjs

1 hour ago, George C said:

Retreat is not the same across classes, but all celebrity has all day suite lounge with real drinks and all have suite restaurants.  Does pinnacle class offer free drinks?

The HAL Neptune Suite-only Neptune Lounge does NOT offer complimentary alcoholic drinks. There are some alcoholic beverages in that lounge which people must sign for. 

The Celebrity all-suites amenity package is better than what HAL offers suite passengers, especially for those below the Neptune level on HAL.  But both cruise lines have greatly watered down the value some of their repeat-passenger &suite rewards, for example with the all-inclusive offers that give everyone “free” drinks.

We were trying to decide between a Neptune or Celebrity in which we really liked the idea of a dedicated restaurant/lounge, prices/itinerary were roughly the same.  However, we recently found out that Cunard will have the Queen Elizabeth over here on the west coast next summer, and that's been on our bucket list for awhile, but I'm not sure if the grills continue to be as legendary as everything I used to hear about the QE2, I haven't done much research. 

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Sadly though, other than a couple of events, there is no specialty dining or free drinks in the Lounge.  That has baffled me for some time.

I've often wondered why they don't do a happy hour mid or late afternoon.  A chance to indulge in some libations and socialize. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, George C said:

Any change to suite perks, many other lines offer suite restaurant, suite lounge with fre drinks and suite pool . Did hal add any of these things, have not cruised hal in almost ten years.

One new wrinkle is that Club Orange is now included with a Neptune suite.  On the Pinnacle class of ships (HAL's three newest ones) some people like having CO as they can dine in the spearate CO dining area, away from the MDR crowds and noise.

• Like 1

After our  Oosterdam cruise next year we will be moving away from HAL to Oceania and Celebrity exclusively.  We are only on this cruise next year for the itinerary and to utilize our FCC. Neptune suites pale in comparison to Celebrity suites and the Retreat experience and perks. We did our first Celebrity Sky Suite in August on the Equinox and it was the best experience of any cruise to date.

• Like 1

Sure, we did have the Pinnacle Grill included before.  Now, they let anyone in that throws a few dollars at them.  After 50 days on K'dam in Neptune we rarely go there for dinner or breakfast. Certainly go for some breakfast.  Last 12 day trip we ate there 2 times at night.  Could not get beverage service---as they were running back and forth between the Pinnacle and CO. So much for the signature wine package. When you would go to the Pinnacle, they would know you.  CO your just another pretty face...  Food was fine---certainly NOTHING like it used to be when it was the farm to table restaurant. You also, have all the people walking/standing outside the glass walls looking and waiting for the MDR reservations to be had....

Not that it is a terrible place, it is just a downgrade for Neptune guests...

The Pinnacle for us is always too quiet, maybe some people like that for breakfast, but we liked the ambiance of the MDR that had a little more life to it and better views.  On our Hawaii trip a few years ago, every time I walked past the Pinnacle in the morning hardly anybody was ever in there and this was a full ship.  

12 hours ago, Roz said:

I've often wondered why they don't do a happy hour mid or late afternoon.  A chance to indulge in some libations and socialize. 

Completely agree.  They don't even need to have open bar, they can make up a batch of frozen this or that and serve in small glasses. 

I know some will disagree, but always felt the lounge was underutilized.    

• Like 2

19 hours ago, George C said:

Thanks , we will stick with MSc yacht club, celebrity or Rccl. 

I just returned from a RCI cruise (Ovation) after a 7 year hiatus from them.  I was blown away at the difference between them and HAL regarding suite perks.  

HAL does some things right but when it comes to suites and the associated benefits and lounges, HAL's not even in the same ballpark.  For the most part, suites and perks are fairly weak across all the big lines of Carnival Corp.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mosaic said:

Not that it is a terrible place, it is just a downgrade for Neptune guests...

I also was totally pissed at HAL when they introduced the Club Orange concept, which felt to me like a downgrade for Suite guests. However, we had wonderful experiences in the Club Orange restaurant. Maybe a different manager, but we had super service from our wine steward and the meal service, both breakfast and dinner was spot on. The chef behind the glass even prepared a special indian dinner for us one night. And they did know our names. So sorry you didn't enjoy a similar memory. 

2 hours ago, Mosaic said:

Sure, we did have the Pinnacle Grill included before.  Now, they let anyone in that throws a few dollars at them.  After 50 days on K'dam in Neptune we rarely go there for dinner or breakfast. Certainly go for some breakfast.  

I am a tad confused by your post.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding?  Club Orange is not entitled to breakfast in the PG.  Only Neptune or PS.  No one else dines in the PG for breakfast.  CO does get breakfast in the CO room on the Pinnacle Class ships.  My understanding is that on the K’dam you would have had breakfast in Club Orange instead of the PG if you were in a Neptune Suite?  (I’m assuming Club Orange was in existence when you sailed).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I just returned from a RCI cruise (Ovation) after a 7 year hiatus from them.  I was blown away at the difference between them and HAL regarding suite perks.  

HAL does some things right but when it comes to suites and the associated benefits and lounges, HAL's not even in the same ballpark.  For the most part, suites and perks are fairly weak across all the big lines of Carnival Corp.  

you should try celebrity and MSc yacht club, they both have way better perks than rccl, was really impressed with yacht club ship within a ship concept, they also had good entertainment and a great outdoor area with pool , restaurant and hot tubs.