Does Travel Insurance Cover Negative Passengers Who Are Forced To Quarantine Off The Ship?

riverotter

Now that we know that some countries insist that Covid-positive passengers and their close contacts be removed from the ship for quarantine, has anyone confirmed whether travel insurance will cover hotel and flight for those who test negative but must quarantine off the ship?

The answer will depend on what your insurance policy states. If you don't know then ask. Upgrade it to one that gives more or less what you want. That's today's challenge for anyone who wants to take a cruise.

There is no standard/global insurance policy much less a uniform answer.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I’ve done much research on this topic lately, if preparation for a booked but then cancelled cruise.

• first of all, it is not only the country specific requirements that will dictate offloading of Covid positive (or negative close contacts) but also the cruise line policy. All cruise lines offload positive cases, but it’s not always clear if negative close contacts are offloaded. Some lines do contract tracing via device (Crystal, Viking), some do not (Seabourn). 
  • Insurance depends on where you live and what policies are available. Here in Canada there is a government cruise ban warning which means many insurance companies do not cover cruise travel or Covid. You need to find a policy that covers both, they exist but can be hard to find. 
  • Travel medical insurance is separate from trip cancellation/ trip interruption. Travel medical (with Covid coverage) covers medical costs when you test positive (or any other covered illness),  It does not cover quarantine if you test negative as a close contact (because then you do not have an illness).
  • Trip interruption insurance (with Covid inclusion) covers events if your cruise is interrupted. This would include being offloaded as a positive or negative Covid close contact. This covers the cost of your remaining (lost) trip. Some cruise lines cover quarantine costs if offloaded (I.e. Regent has a written policy), some do not. Travel medical coverage only comes into play if you need medical care due to an illness (including Covid). 

It’s all very confusing…but bottom line is that you need to find valid coverage, including Covid and then read the policy fine print for any exclusions.  If you are worried about covering the costs of quarantine as a negative close contact, then first understand if the cruise line has a policy that covers it. If not then look to see if there is coverage via a trip interruption insurance policy.  Otherwise you just self insure for this risk.  

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. Sorry to cross over from another cruise line's site but I have been carrying out massive research with insurance companies here in the UK and no such cover seems to exist here.

Reading this comment, can you confirm whether in North America you are able to buy cover for these type of events, even as an add on?

Any information or help would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

• Like 1

There is at least one travel insurance company that offers an optional feature that provides some reimbursement for quarantining. It also offers CFAR and interruption for any reason components. Not cheap though, and both only at 75%. Depends if one wants maximum risk protection. Time sensitive to 14 days and 21 days after first payment for trip made. I'm not sure I can mention the company .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brittany12 said:

There is at least one travel insurance company that offers an optional feature that provides some reimbursement for quarantining. It also offers CFAR and interruption for any reason components. Not cheap though, and both only at 75%. Depends if one wants maximum risk protection. Time sensitive to 14 days and 21 days after first payment for trip made. I'm not sure I can mention the company .

This is good news.  I'm also concerned because I'm now reading that 30 to 40% of people will still test positive at three weeks.  If we aren't allowed to fly out of a country until we are negative, how can we afford the hotel stay once we are released from quarantine.   I can't imagine any insurance will cover that.  It's all very confusing.  Thanks all of you for doing so much research on this and helping all of us!