Solo with scooter- Rent or buy?

maureencruiser

3 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

And, of course, with Covid, you might find out 2 days before the cruise that you're positive and  can't go. 

Even with the insurance (Scootaround), if you cancel right within 7 days before the cruise you don't get a full refund:

If less than seven (7) days’ notice is provided, but before the scheduled delivery date, the Customer may cancel and receive a partial refund on the order. Scootaround will hold a $100 cancellation fee for motorized equipment and $50 cancellation fee for non-motorized equipment per item and $10 CPP fee for each item, excluding accessories, that is cancelled. This includes either full or partial cancellations.

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Even with the insurance (Scootaround), if you cancel right within 7 days before the cruise you don't get a full refund:

If less than seven (7) days’ notice is provided, but before the scheduled delivery date, the Customer may cancel and receive a partial refund on the order. Scootaround will hold a $100 cancellation fee for motorized equipment and $50 cancellation fee for non-motorized equipment per item and $10 CPP fee for each item, excluding accessories, that is cancelled. This includes either full or partial cancellations.

Geez, they get you coming and going.  I've sent them an email asking about insurance and where I would pick up my scooter at Canaveral.  I'm concerned because I have a Cortrans shuttle booked for 930.  At the same port, Canaveral,  in September (MSC Divina), I had wheelchair assistance and priority departure (8am).  The ship got us off and down the ramps and then the port staff would not let any wheelchairs or scooters go down in the elevators until all the luggage for all groups was out.  They said it wasn't safe because they were using forklifts for the luggage.  We all sat lined up in the hallway until 930. That was a ship with only 1,000 passengers.  Harmony will have at least 2,500.

• 4 weeks later...

I rented a walker for use on a previous cruise.  Due to how it folded, it was difficult to maneuver it through the door of my cabin.  I have since bought one since it cost as much as 2 rentals.  I certainly plan on using it for more than one cruise.  So, for me it was better to purchase.

I also use this type of doorstop because bending down can cause me pain.  This door stop can be used over the door hinge.  
AmazonSmile : Door Stop by Wedge-It - Blue : Office Products

• Thanks 2

I've cruised a few times, mostly renting before I bought my own scooter.  It makes a HUGE difference; if you're caught in a crowd or behind people walking too slowly, you don't exhaust yourself!  Here's some stuff I've learned:

• The cruise line may ask about the width of the scooter.  You can get that from the rental place's website.  Most scooters are less than 23" which means you can fit it through a regular stateroom door... but only very carefully.
  • Sometimes you can bend the rules and park your heavy full size scooter in the stairway landing while you are charging.  Get a cabin near a stair/elevator to make that easier.
  • When you go to a restaurant they will ask you to park somewhere.  Let them know how far from the scooter you can travel.  Sometimes they'll offer to park & retrieve it for you if the area is too tight.
  • If you need to go to the buffet when it's busy, don't be afraid to ask for help.  An attendant may be willing to carry your tray as you go through, getting whatever you ask for.  If you can wait for it to be less busy, you're more likely to get help and less likely to run over an oblivious child.  🙂
  • Scooters with electrostatic brakes can be driven with one hand.  Scooters with hand brakes CAN, but only if you're willing to keep it to a low speed and stop it with your foot sometimes.

I hope you enjoy your solo cruise!

• 6 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 11:58 AM, ldubenion said:

Just curious as to what you ended up doing? I may have to rent a scooter for my upcoming cruise. I don’t have a HC cabin and am concerned if it will fit through door on RCL. 

Having used a scooter since 2010, this is my recommendation.  When we lived in Florida, we could just drive to the cruise port.  However, we moved to Hawaii and had to fly to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise.  We didn’t realize that airlines have a size and weight limitation on mobility devices and require advance notice.  My scooter weighs 174 lb.  Needless to say, the airline was NOT HAPPY with us.  We are now selling the scooter and purchasing a Falcon Reclining lightweight, foldable, electric wheelchair that weighs 50 lb without the 2 batteries (4 lb ea.) which we will be able to remove and take on board with us.  I cannot walk without pain, so I need a mobility device to shop or go on vacations & cruises & shore excursions.  So, if you need a mobility device for more than just cruises, I’d recommend you purchase an electric wheelchair rather than a scooter.  Many shore excursions can can accommodate a foldable lightweight wheelchair, but not a scooter.  If you only need a device on the ship, then rent a scooter.

The electric wheelchair doesn’t require a HC cabin, but the scooter will.

Edited by iuki
  • Like 1

There are no weight limits on durable medically equipment (wheelchairs) that apply to airlines. A couple of years ago, American attempted to implement a policy, but they were informed about the error of their ways and rescinded policy. See https://wheelchairtravel.org/american-airlines-reverses-wheelchair-weight-limit-updated-policy/

Pay close attention to lighter weight chairs as they often use lithium batteries. Airlines and the government care very much about lithium batteries in airplane holds and explosions caused by those batteries. Please comply with applicable policies.

Devices with longer wheel bases are less likely to top over front to back, another factor to consider.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

There are no weight limits on durable medically equipment (wheelchairs) that apply to airlines. A couple of years ago, American attempted to implement a policy, but they were informed about the error of their ways and rescinded policy. See https://wheelchairtravel.org/american-airlines-reverses-wheelchair-weight-limit-updated-policy/

Pay close attention to lighter weight chairs as they often use lithium batteries. Airlines and the government care very much about lithium batteries in airplane holds and explosions caused by those batteries. Please comply with applicable policies.

Devices with longer wheel bases are less likely to top over front to back, another factor to consider.

The Falcon electric wheelchair has lithium batteries approved by TSA and FAA.  Despite the ruling with American Airlines, airlines still have their size and weight limit policies.  Hawaiian Airlines (Rule 18), like most airlines, have a maximum weight of 50 lb and a linear limit of 62” in size.  I’m not about to argue my rights and then get arrested as a disruptive passenger.

You may want to re-examine what you think the applicable rules are. Specific to Hawaiian Airlines, Rule 9 address wheelchairs and similar equipment. Including specific limitations on lithium batteries. Including removal and/or disconnecting the battery if it can’t be removed.

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/legal/domestic-contract-of-carriage/rule-9

There are no stated limits on weight of wheelchairs or scooters. I’ve never had a motorized device that weighs less than 50 pounds.

Hawaiian airline, like most others, have size and weight limitations on bags, but wheelchairs and similar equipment are not considered bags by the airlines.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

You may want to re-examine what you think the applicable rules are. Specific to Hawaiian Airlines, Rule 9 address wheelchairs and similar equipment. Including specific limitations on lithium batteries. Including removal and/or disconnecting the battery if it can’t be removed.

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/legal/domestic-contract-of-carriage/rule-9

There are no stated limits on weight of wheelchairs or scooters. I’ve never had a motorized device that weighs less than 50 pounds.

Hawaiian airline, like most others, have size and weight limitations on bags, but wheelchairs and similar equipment are not considered bags by the airlines.

You have no idea how grateful I am that you responded to my posts.  The flight attendant was not happy with us when I took my scooter to the airplane door.  When we got off the flight, she gave my husband a copy of Rule 18 and told him the scooter exceeded the maximum weight allowance.  I’m going to print a copy of Rule 9 with me in the future.  Many many thanks!  You made this old girl very happy.

The Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply to air travel. Instead, the Air Carrier Access Act does. The federal Department of Transportation is responsible for administering the law. A good reference site is
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/passengers-disabilities..

If you ever have issues related to accessible services during air travel el, you are entitled to contact with a Complaint Resolution Officer (it can be via phone, not necessarily in person). They are employees of the airline who are responsible under federal statute for ensuring the airline is complying with applicable federal law.. The ACAA requires a CRO be available.

Please let me know if you have other questions. I’m not a lawyer, but I am an expert in accessibility policy.

19 hours ago, FOPMan said:

The Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply to air travel. Instead, the Air Carrier Access Act does. The federal Department of Transportation is responsible for administering the law. A good reference site is
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/passengers-disabilities..

If you ever have issues related to accessible services during air travel el, you are entitled to contact with a Complaint Resolution Officer (it can be via phone, not necessarily in person). They are employees of the airline who are responsible under federal statute for ensuring the airline is complying with applicable federal law.. The ACAA requires a CRO be available.

Please let me know if you have other questions. I’m not a lawyer, but I am an expert in accessibility policy.

You have been so helpful.  Thank you for all the info.  Since my husband has only one arm, we’re still selling our scooter and lift, because the lightweight (50 lbs without the batteries) and foldable electric wheelchair will be so much easier on him than the 174-lb scooter for him to handle.  It’ll also provide more options for shore excursions when we cruise again.  

According to Royal's Special Needs Form:

Wheelchairs and Scooters must fit through the stateroom door and be stored and charged in the guest staterooms.Standard stateroom doors are minimum 23 inches wide, accessible stateroom doors are 32 inches wide.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs#:~

Royal Caribbean allows rentals from Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround.  I would check with both of these companies and ask them the width of the scooter you wish to rent.  The larger scooters are wider.  

On 7/6/2022 at 5:36 PM, GUT2407 said:

There are some great power chairs out there that are, in my opinion, way easier to deal with than Scooters.

Not everyone has the dexterity to drive a power chair with a joystick versus a scooter with a two handed handlebar.

• 1 month later...

I have a  Pride Go Go Elite  it is a small scooter that will carry 275 lbs the width is less then 21inches. I unlock the door and take the scooter out of gear and push it thru the doorway as it is easier to maneuver and does not take any strength to push when it is out of gear. Go to your nearest Walmart or any grocery store and drive the scooters for a while so you are comfortable driving it. People on the ship will be grateful.  You will be more comfortable going in and out of elevators too.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my 2 cents.  I have 2 disability scooters. Afikim S4! And a smsrtscoot.  Opposite ends of the scooter world.  The AFIKIM is amazing with a range of 30 miles, 10mph. Not portable in any sense of that word.  Would not work on a cruise ship.  The smartScoot costs mid 2k. It weighs about 40lbs with the seat. It costs 250 to 400 dollars on average for a cruise scooter rental.  10 cruises it pays for itself.  I have literally been all over Rome on mine.  The Coliseum, Forum, the Vatican, all over the city.  There were zero problems.

As far as anyone choosing one, that is a very very individual question.  Why do you want one?  Does it fit you?  Do you feel safe on it?  How fast and far will it go.  4mph is ok on a ship!  But when touring it might be too slow!  Being a big person, I was 350 lbs, I was concerned by construction.  

Go to a scooter store, try them, inside and outdoors.  Do you like 3wheels or 4?  Do you feel safe on it?  Will it hold a cane or 2 or crutches?

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

I often travel solo, and I highly recommend the Glion SNAPnGO for cruising and flying.  I've had mine for 4 years and I've used it all over the USA, the Caribbean and Europe. This three-wheel scooter maneuvers easily on ships and has a battery range of 15 miles.  When flying you can ride the scooter right down the jetway, take off the lithium ion battery (3 lbs.) and carry it on the plane. The scooter will be placed in cargo and delivered to your destination jetway, where you just reattach the battery and go on your way.

The latest model 335 is available on Amazon @ $1,299 (same price as on Glion's site).  The scooter frame with battery weighs just 31 lbs. and the current seat weighs 15 lbs. (my older one is 20 lbs.).  It's easy for this senior lady to load the two pieces into the trunk of my Corolla.

I usually get an accessible cabin, but if I don't I can drive this 22" wide scooter through the cabin doors of all but the very oldest ships (those were on Holland America, when I had to take it apart and lift it sideways through the door).  If I don't have an accessible cabin with an automatic door, using a doorstop to prop the door open makes it much easier.

F1332F86-2299-4CDD-987C-4B8B39DD4803.jpeg