Frustrated with Delta flight change & seriously concerned about short connection time in Atlanta

Mike981

Six of us booked a direct flight from Minneapolis to Montego Bay, we will be flying mid-January. We purchased the tickets this past June. We were all very please because that is a rare feat for it to be direct for this location. This past week (five months later) four of us got an email saying that they have moved us to another flight that will have a stop in Atlanta and only 50 minutes to catch our next flight. The other two are still on the original flight, I have no idea why? 

Please correct me if I am wrong, this is considered 'legal' because they are still getting us to our destination and within 1-2 hours of the original arrival time? Lastly having flown to Atlanta many times, I am not comfortable with only 50 minutes to get to our next gate. Especially since I will be three weeks removed from hip surgery.

I appreciate any input, I hope I gave you enough information. Thank you.

Dates, flight numbers and times ALWAYS help in these situations.  Otherwise, you just get supposition at best.  And FYI, "direct" does not mean "non-stop".  You can very easily have a "direct" flight with multiple stops and aircraft changes.

• Like 1

Yes, specific flight info would help. Have your co-travelers logged in to their Delta accounts to actually see they are still on the nonstop, or have they just received no communication and assume they still are? If the latter, it could just be that you were contacted before them for some reason. 

• Like 1

Definitely give Delta a call. If your original flight still exists, have them tell you why you’re no longer on it and and request to be reconfirmed on it.

Atlanta is my primary airport. While 50 minutes are enough to make most connections, anything that slows you down (delays, mobility issues, etc) will jeopardize your connection. The company that handles wheelchairs at the ATL airport has been chronically understaffed for most of the pandemic and it’s not uncommon to see people waiting 30 minutes for a wheelchair pusher. 

Delta operates out of every terminal in ATL. If you arrive at gate T1 and depart from F1, you’re literally a mile away from your connecting gate (not far fetched since all international departures leave from concourses E and F). 

If for some reason they’re unable to put you on your original flight, ask for a better connection. Fortunately, Delta operates multiple daily flights from MSP to ATL and from ATL to MBJ so they can definitely come up with a flight combination that gives you more ground time between flights. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The company that handles wheelchairs at the ATL airport has been chronically understaffed for most of the pandemic and it’s not uncommon to see people waiting 30 minutes for a wheelchair pusher.

These people are not Delta employees?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No. 3rd party company that handles all wheelchair requests for all airlines throughout the ATL airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There's usually one company for the entire airport, and they come to whatever gate as needed - be it Delta, Southwest, Air France, AeroMexico, whomever. Usually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tapi said:

No. 3rd party company that handles all wheelchair requests for all airlines throughout the ATL airport. 

24 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

There's usually one company for the entire airport, and they come to whatever gate as needed - be it Delta, Southwest, Air France, AeroMexico, whomever. Usually. 

Thanks to both of you.  I continue to learn.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And not just at ATL.  Most all airports have a single contractor that handles assistance requests.

What about smaller airports like DAY?  When I have needed assistance, the "pusher" was one who I thought was a Delta employee at DAY.  

• 1 month later...

45-minutes is the "approved" connection time at ATL.  Princess Air booked us through ATL from TPA to LAX and then onto SYD with the 45-minute connection, in late Summer, during the afternoon thunderstorm season.  They did work with us to change to a 1+30 connection using MCO as the starting point, and with a 800 dollar reduction in fare.  "Nothing" flies on time during the t-storm season in the South.

• 3 weeks later...

I am booked on Delta#75 returning from AMS to ATL  2 3/4 hours layover than boarding #1378 to RSW  Is that enough time to clear customs and check my bag for my home flight? This will be  Monday night May 23. Have requested wheelchair but will also have my walker. 😄

We will have a similar amount of time in Atlanta after arriving from AMS. On a Wednesday afternoon in mid June.  Then flying home to Myrtle Beach. I guess the length of time it takes in customs now depends on what Covid test results they have to check for. Could add a lot more time entering the US, even though things will probably change again by then. 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:07 PM, skings said:

I am booked on Delta#75 returning from AMS to ATL  2 3/4 hours layover than boarding #1378 to RSW  Is that enough time to clear customs and check my bag for my home flight? This will be  Monday night May 23. Have requested wheelchair but will also have my walker. 😄

Immigration is what will take time, not Customs. There will be a fast check for your bag right after Customs. You have a safe amount of time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mariastreby said:

We will have a similar amount of time in Atlanta after arriving from AMS. On a Wednesday afternoon in mid June.  Then flying home to Myrtle Beach. I guess the length of time it takes in customs now depends on what Covid test results they have to check for. Could add a lot more time entering the US, even though things will probably change again by then. 

Again,  it's Immigration, not Customs that will take time. I don't think you'll be allowed to board in AMS without a negative test, under the current protocols, but as you point out, we don't know what the protocols will be in June.

• Like 1

FlyerTalker- so we should be considering  more than 2 hours in AMS? If that turns out to be true will Delta change flight times to honor this? Or, are we as passengers respossible? Have already purchased ticket for next May. KLM/Delta from CPH to AMS, than Delta to ATL-RSW

6 minutes ago, skings said:

FlyerTalker- so we should be considering  more than 2 hours in AMS? If that turns out to be true will Delta change flight times to honor this?

I have no idea what you mean by "change flight times".  Flight times are set by the schedule as posted by the airline.

A 2 hour connect at AMS is very reasonable.

7 minutes ago, skings said:

Or, are we as passengers respossible? Have already purchased ticket for next May. KLM/Delta from CPH to AMS, than Delta to ATL-RSW

Again, what do you mean by "responsible"?  If you deliberately miss your flight, that's one thing.  To be delayed by factors beyond your control - another.

Personally, I believe you are over-thinking this one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In general, I would always book a flight with a couple of hours airport layover as compared to one with a bare minimum layover.  I can always sit at the gate and surf the WEB or read a book on my Kindle to kill an hour.  If I have a legal but short minimum and miss my flight, I am out of luck.  Unless there are absolutely no alternatives, I have never been able to figure out why people book flights with bare minimum layovers.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have never been able to figure out why people book flights with bare minimum layovers.

Maybe they are "risk takers" in other areas of their lives?  There are people who do live like that.  I know; I had a Nephew who lived his life that way.  

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe they are "risk takers" in other areas of their lives?  There are people who do live like that.  I know; I had a Nephew who lived his life that way.  

Did he ever suffer any negative results from that attitude?  If he did suffer negative results, didmhe complain or just suffer in silence?

DON

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

Did he ever suffer any negative results from that attitude?  If he did suffer negative results, didmhe complain or just suffer in silence?

DON

He enjoyed his life and he "suffered" my disapproval of some of his adventures.  But, he ignored the risks that he was taking regarding a cardiac issue and passed away 1 day after his 40th birthday.  

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am a risk taker when it comes to travel...at least compared to  most people. Flying sketchy planes in Africa and North Korea, frequenting third world countries, cargo/container ship rides across the ocean. But even I tend to book at least a 90 minute connection on flights 🙂

• Like 2

The dirty little secret:  Airline reservation computers are programmed to show you the shortest connections most prominently.  There are times when they will not show you a legal, longer connection, even if it is available.  An example would be on routings that include high-frequency segments, such as FLL-ATL on Delta.

Remember - you can always build your own connections, as long as you keep to the four-hour rule for domestic itineraries.  And that extends to 24 hours on international ones.  (Plus, the proviso of time or "first onward flight", whichever is LONGER).

• Like 1