Would you take an offer for a paid upgrade?

hisfirstm8

Just now, hisfirstm8 said:

We were offered an upgrade from an aft veranda to one of the aft Neptune Suites on the Eurodam for our Panama Canal cruise.  This is our first Holland cruise.  What would you do?  Thanks!!!!

The cost would be about $1000 total.

Just now, hisfirstm8 said:

Barbara  

I would definitely consider it, especially if I was new to HAL like you (meaning you're not a 4-star or above mariner who gets some of the suite perks already based on that status).  $1000 is quite a bit less than it would have cost had you just booked the aft neptune to start with.  Having the larger wrap-around verandah will be great when sailing through the canal - and since your cruise is either 10 or 11 days, that $1000 works out to around $50/person/day.  That's chump change, for a significantly larger stateroom that comes with several perks!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, hisfirstm8 said:

We were offered an upgrade from an aft veranda to one of the aft Neptune Suites on the Eurodam for ourPanama Canal cruise.  This is our first Holland cruise.  What would you do?  Thanks!!!!

Barbara  

I would take that offer in a heartbeat.  Corner aft cabins are wonderful.  The balcony is huge!  Plus you will have a coffee maker in the cabin.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Some have commented that they don't like how far it is from the Neptune Lounge....FWIW.

I would take it

You didn't have access to the Nepune Lounge either with your current cabin. You'll get your steps in and burn calaries going to the lounge. And the main dining areas are just above and below you. We book back corners every chance we have and did on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska.  Take it!

We had a corner aft Neptune on a Canal cruise and it was fantastic!  We could see both the side activity going on plus a close up view of the locks closing behind us.  Something we will never forget!  You will soon forget the $1000 cost (which is reasonable IMO), but never the experience of going through the Canal in an aft-wrap Neptune.

4 hours ago, hisfirstm8 said:

Thank you for all your help!!  I think we are going to do it!!!

There is a serious problem here that nobody has mentioned...

You can NEVER GO BACK...

Once you have tasted the life at the high end...

There is a (Long Term) reason HAL is treating you (as a Newbee) to the Suite (sweet?) life. 

It is like when you used to have a Phone/Moden computer connection and you then got your first direct connection - same thing - you can never go back.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

There is a serious problem here that nobody has mentioned...

You can NEVER GO BACK...

Once you have tasted the life at the high end...

There is a (Long Term) reason HAL is treating you (as a Newbee) to the Suite (sweet?) life. 

It is like when you used to have a Phone/Moden computer connection and you then got your first direct connection - same thing - you can never go back.

That is not necessarily true. On our first cruise back in 98 (Alaska Ryndam), we got an upgrade offer from our Ocean View, to a Neptune. While it was quite enjoyable for a first cruise we did not go back to a Neptune until we did a 7 day Caribbean with some friends, so that we could have meals and entertain in the cabin. Since then we generally choose between a Deluxe Veranda or Signature as that price point is better for us, since we tend to take the longer cruises (12+ days). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, drowelf said:

That is not necessarily true. On our first cruise back in 98 (Alaska Ryndam), we got an upgrade offer from our Ocean View, to a Neptune. While it was quite enjoyable for a first cruise we did not go back to a Neptune until we did a 7 day Caribbean with some friends, so that we could have meals and entertain in the cabin. Since then we generally choose between a Deluxe Veranda or Signature as that price point is better for us, since we tend to take the longer cruises (12+ days). 

I believe @RGEDad wrote that tongue in cheek. Lol..

• Like 1

The aft Neptunes are perfect for viewing the canal locks and workings.  It was very hot when we did our pass through and it was great to go out watch each lock and then go back in and cool off.  The wrap around allows a good look at the "mules" and the cabling that pulls the ship through.   I hope you can snag the offer!   

I received an upgrade offer for my Nov. 16 cruise on the Eurodam yesterday.  I had booked at the lowest rate as I'm sailing single now.  The upgrade was to CC10002--top deck at the front so looking at the ocean ahead.  Cost $199!  Really eager to get on the ship and see my new location!!

• Like 3