Passport Card ?

helene109

Hi we are looking to travel on NCL in August first time. We have sailed other lines and just used a Passport Card. I have read on their website that they say to use a Birth Certificate and drivers license if you don't have a Passport Book. I can't find anything about the card.

Thank you!

Passport card would be sufficient, as long as you don't need to fly internationally.  Would they prefer to see a passport book?  Absolutely!  But having a passport card should be enough to get on and off the ship, for MOST ports of call.  Some ports might actually require a passport book but NCL should advise of that if it's needed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit more info at link below...

www.uspassporthelpguide.com.icohttps://www.uspassporthelpguide.com › where-can-i-travel-with-just-a-passport-card

Where you can go: You can only go to and reenter the U.S. from border countries with the Passport Card. Border countries are Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. How you can get there: You can travel internationally via air, sea or land with the use of a Passport Book. With the card, you can only travel by sea or land.

4 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

A bit more info at link below...

www.uspassporthelpguide.com.icohttps://www.uspassporthelpguide.com › where-can-i-travel-with-just-a-passport-card

Where you can go: You can only go to and reenter the U.S. from border countries with the Passport Card. Border countries are Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. How you can get there: You can travel internationally via air, sea or land with the use of a Passport Book. With the card, you can only travel by sea or land.

Thanks I just emailed NCL and they said they prefer the book then a birth certificate. They didn't say anything about the card.  I haven't had any problems on other lines with the card.

59 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Hi we are looking to travel on NCL in August first time. We have sailed other lines and just used a Passport Card. I have read on their website that they say to use a Birth Certificate and drivers license if you don't have a Passport Book. I can't find anything about the card. Thank you!

@helene109Rather than asking people's opinions, let's read the requirements in our Guest Confirmation very carefully. Or what some random NCL minimum wage call center person "thinks". What is written is what will be enforced. 

image.thumb.png.5b741530aba847086545c2dd4e9aae5d.png

Your gest confirmation points you to www.ncl.com/traveldocs. That website has exactly what NCL requires (vs. what people on CC think NCl would accept). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Rather than asking people's opinions, let's read the requirements in our Guest Confirmation very carefully. 

Your gest confirmation points you to www.ncl.com/traveldocs. That website has exactly what NCL requires (vs. what people on CC think NCl would accept). 

I still don't see card listed. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

I used to use the card on NCL. I switched to the book when I did a Repo since it's required when you don't start and end at the same port. The card was fine before that.

I just emailed the site for passports asking if I have a card how to get a book.

Thanks your reply was helpful!

• Like 1

I have used the card in the past for cruises.  This time I could not check in because the passport number on the card starts with a alpha character.  I could only add numeric.  I was going to order a passport book but I was worried it would take too long and the CAS NCL rep suggested I just use my birth certificate. Once I return I will order the book.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

@helene109Rather than asking people's opinions, let's read the requirements in our Guest Confirmation very carefully. Or what some random NCL minimum wage call center person "thinks". What is written is what will be enforced. 

52 minutes ago, helene109 said:

I still don't see card listed. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

That is correct. 

NCL absolutely accepts the passport card for  a closed loop US  cruise. Per NCL's documentation FAQs NCL accepts WHTI compliant documents, and as you'll see below the Passport card is a WHTI-compliant document accepted by USCBP .

What @BirdTravels quotes doesn't use the words "passport card" but if you read it carefully it does use the words "proof of citizenship"...  "All guests require proof of citizenship for cruises that begin and end in the same US port" and a passport card absolutely is proof of  citizenship  that is accepted for land and sea border crossings by USCBP as you can see here:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

"What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card."

Further, if you go to the documentation page on NCL's website you'll see a link to the above CBP page in the word "here" in the last sentence of the FAQ I've quoted below:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

"For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID

(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

OR

WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative)-compliant documents (click here to for more information.)"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helene109 said:

I just emailed the site for passports asking if I have a card how to get a book.

Thanks your reply was helpful!

Personally, I never saw the point of a card because you're limited as to where you can go.  And OK, maybe today you only want to go to Mexico, but in a couple years you're shelling out more money to get the book in order to do Europe.  

I suppose carrying a card is easier than a book, but if you have to carry your birth certificate on cruises that negates the one benefit.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I suppose carrying a card is easier than a book, but if you have to carry your birth certificate on cruises that negates the one benefit.

But you don't have to carry birth certificate on NCL closed loop cruises.

If you read my previous post you'll see that anyone who says NCL doesn't accept a passport card for a closed loop cruise is dead wrong. NCL accepts WHTI-compliant documents and a passport card is a WHTI-compliant document.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

Personally, I never saw the point of a card because you're limited as to where you can go.  And OK, maybe today you only want to go to Mexico, but in a couple years you're shelling out more money to get the book in order to do Europe.  

The card is a useful stopgap when you live in a state that didn't get around to instituting RealID on a timely basis, like PA, for other travel.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

The card is a useful stopgap when you live in a state that didn't get around to instituting RealID on a timely basis, like PA, for other travel.  

I live in PA and do finally have a Real ID drivers license, though it took them long enough to roll it out.  I also have a Global Entry card which is also a Real ID and at least gets me Precheck when I fly.  

When I renewed my passport I also ordered a passport card. I use the passport to check in for flights and cruises, and the passport card as ID when I leave the ship. (I fought very hard to get an enhanced driver's license, but lost that fight because they wanted a two documents with my middle name. The only document that has my middle name is my passport. 

In case this is helpful for Passport Card holders you can add alpha characters on a computer for the passport number.  It was just on the app it didn't work.  The NCL rep told there was no way to do that and I would have to use my birth certificate.  She was wrong on that.

The reason I only have the card is because I used to go to Canada several times a year pre-covid and that is all I needed.  I still want to get the book but at time I applied for the card that was all I needed.

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

But you don't have to carry birth certificate on NCL closed loop cruises.

If you read my previous post you'll see that anyone who says NCL doesn't accept a passport card for a closed loop cruise is dead wrong. NCL accepts WHTI-compliant documents and a passport card is a WHTI-compliant document.

Yes we are a closed loop Breakaway 5 day out of Miami.

I have had no problems on other lines with the card. When it expires I will get both the book and card. Trying to figure out how to get the book but we don't plan on anything else but cruises and yes I know its good to have.

Thanks for your helpful information.

17 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Yes we are a closed loop Breakaway 5 day out of Miami.

I have had no problems on other lines with the card. When it expires I will get both the book and card. Trying to figure out how to get the book but we don't plan on anything else but cruises and yes I know its good to have.

Thanks for your helpful information.

You have to start from scratch submit an application for a new (first time) passport, Form DS-11, despite your already having a passport card. You can get both a new passport book and card in that single transaction as long as you pay the additional fee of $30 over the cost of just a passport. Unfortunately when you have to submit the DS-11 you have to go in person to an acceptance center...often a county clerk's office or a post office branch, to submit your other required documentation...evidence of citizenship, photo ID, etc. and pay an additional fee of $35 above the cost of the passport and passport card.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You have to start from scratch submit an application for a new (first time) passport, Form DS-11, despite your already having a passport card. You can get both a new passport book and card in that single transaction as long as you pay the additional fee of $30 over the cost of just a passport. Unfortunately when you have to submit the DS-11 you have to go in person to an acceptance center...often a county clerk's office or a post office branch, to submit your other required documentation...evidence of citizenship, photo ID, etc. and pay an additional fee of $35 above the cost of the passport and passport card.

Ok makes sense then I would have to send in my current passport card even though it isn't expired. Or do I wait until it has expired the following year. Thanks!

Just now, helene109 said:

Ok makes sense then I would have to send in my current passport card even though it isn't expired. Or do I wait until it has expired the following year. Thanks!

Personally I would start the process as early I could...at a time when you know you won't need your current passport card for the near future, because passport application processing has been moving at a snail's pace since the start of the pandemic.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Personally I would start the process as early I could...at a time when you know you won't need your current passport card for the near future, because passport application processing has been moving at a snail's pace since the start of the pandemic.

Thanks again! We cruise in May & August!

10 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Thanks again! We cruise in May & August!

Then you can certainly start the process now or in the near future and have plenty of time before your May cruise.

Personally at this time with all the real and potential challenges of travel during the pandemic I feel very strongly that everyone should have a passport even for cruises where there would otherwise be only relatively minimal risks associated with using a passport card or birth certificate and photo ID. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Then you can certainly start the process now or in the near future and have plenty of time before your May cruise.

Personally at this time with all the real and potential challenges of travel during the pandemic I feel very strongly that everyone should have a passport even for cruises where there would otherwise be only relatively minimal risks associated with using a passport card or birth certificate and photo ID. 

Yes I think that you are right! My husband will say we don't need it as we only do cruises. Not sure how to convince him.

42 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Yes I think that you are right! My husband will say we don't need it as we only do cruises. Not sure how to convince him.

You need a passport to fly internationally... So even on a cruise:

If you miss embarkation and needed to fly to first port

Missed ship and needed to fly to next port

Had an emergency on the ship or at home and needed to fly home

You would need a passport

Alternatively you can do what I did and plan an all inclusive trip at a mexico resort. Can't fly to mexico without a passport 😉 

• Thanks 1