Logistics of Cruise from Port Canaveral with Kids

kelkel2

We’re going to be taking a cruise in January 2023 it will be our kids’ fist major trip. We’ve been on several small trips but nothing involving airlines or not having our car. Our twins will be 4 when we travel and we will be leaving from Central Illinois and traveling to Orlando to cruise on the Carnival MG. My husband and I had originally talked about driving when we first started brainstorming this trip that way we’d have our car, car seats etc. and easy transportation to and from where we need to go while in Orlando. But now, as gas prices keep creeping up, it’s hardly worth the money savings and convenience of having the family car. So if we fly, I’m assuming we can take a shuttle from the airport to the Port Canaveral area hotels. Is there anything walkable to go to dinner in the area near any of the hotels? Or would it be better to

stay at an airport hotel? Do any of the airport hotels offer a Port shuttle? Lastly? What’s the earliest you’d book a flight home coming off the ship and needing to get to MCO? 

It takes about an hour to drive from MCO to the port. Or back. When we were in Orlando several years ago, coming back from a cruise, the security check lines were over an hour long  - it was the last day of spring break for some schools. I wouldn't get any flight sooner than noon-1 pm.

You can either fly with their harnessed seats using them on the plane and then use them in rental cars/taxis/uber (I've done that before), or if your kids are over 40# at the time of travel and mature enough to stay properly seated in a no back booster for a whole hour, even when asleep, you can travel with two of those (good travel boosters are Harmony Youth (Juvenile), Cosco Rise, Bubblebum, Graco Turbo GO, and 2 years from now there will be others). You cannot use boosters (without internal harness) on the plane.

Or you can use a shuttle.

this is how I traveled with a harnessed seat: https://community.babycenter.com/post/a62126569/frontier-90-on-southwest-and-other-questions

a great board:

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children

this is how people travel with car seats on the plane:

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a6680085/traveling_with_children_photos

this is how we travel with a no back booster when DS was big enough and mature enough to use it properly the entire time (otherwise, it's not going to save your children's lives):

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a77218372/traveling-with-a-no-back-booster

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

• 6 months later...

Assuming that the OP is still trying to sort out the logistics.

MANY years ago, we flew to Disney with our 4 & 5 year old.  We had a roller duffel bag that was the perfect size for the two booster seats that we would be using in the rental car. 

Depending on your home airport and your Florida plans, make sure you check your options flying in/out of Orlando, Sanford, Daytona, and Melbourne.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, MississippiMom said:

Assuming that the OP is still trying to sort out the logistics.

MANY years ago, we flew to Disney with our 4 & 5 year old.  We had a roller duffel bag that was the perfect size for the two booster seats that we would be using in the rental car. 

Depending on your home airport and your Florida plans, make sure you check your options flying in/out of Orlando, Sanford, Daytona, and Melbourne.  

Thanks! We just decided we’re going to stay the night at the Hyatt in the airport. We will take a shuttle to the port. I’m still undecided if i want to pack little booster seats or not. They’re not required by law on a shuttle and honestly the shuttle is less worrisome than an Uber or taxi to me. Being at the airport hotel will minimize driving and traveling we’d have to do! 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 6:49 AM, kelkel2 said:

Thanks! We just decided we’re going to stay the night at the Hyatt in the airport. We will take a shuttle to the port. I’m still undecided if i want to pack little booster seats or not. They’re not required by law on a shuttle and honestly the shuttle is less worrisome than an Uber or taxi to me. Being at the airport hotel will minimize driving and traveling we’d have to do! 

If the shuttle doesn’t have sears belts boosters won’t make a difference.