Should I bring a sport coat on Star legend?

sadd48

First time cruisers on Windstar.  We are on Star Legend Nov. 4, Athens to Lisbon.  Been on 30 plus cruises and have never not taken at least a sport coat and tie.  From what I read, Windstar male passengers do not ever wear a sport coat let alone a tie.  Please let me know your comments.

On our first Windstar cruise, husband packed jacket and tie.  Never wore them.  He does pack a few nice shirts (he doesn't like polo shirts) and wears them to dinner.  Have not had the opportunity to cruise in Tahiti, but our other itineraries have been in Europe and Caribbean - no jacket, no tie has been fine.

I do pack a sport coat, not only for the ship but if we're doing any nice dinners before or after the cruise. On board I generally put on a nice zip front sweater of the Untuckit type - it does double duty as a jacket for cool days.

My husband wears his nice pants and a short/long sleeve collared shirt for dinner. Doesn't bring a tie or sport coat. Now we have been on board where some gentlemen have worn a sport coat and they have looked very dapper. So if you feel comfortable with your sport coat by all means bring it and wear it but it is not the norm on WS.

Edited by Ski Mom 2

• 2 weeks later...

Like the OP, I am a first-timer on Windstar. I actually have several weeks booked over the next 18 months, the first experience won’t be until August 2022.

I will have a sport jacket with me because shortly after my Windstar week in Iceland I’ll be boarding a Celebrity cruise to get me back to the States. Celebrity no longer requires a jacket, but I have always found that I need the extra layer to combat the overly air conditioned dining areas.

So, does Windstar chill the dining areas and other common areas? I get it that I don’t need a jacket for “formality “, but do I need it for warmth? Can I stash my jacket ashore along with other spare clothes in between my two cruises?

Stan

7 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Like the OP, I am a first-timer on Windstar. I actually have several weeks booked over the next 18 months, the first experience won’t be until August 2022.

I will have a sport jacket with me because shortly after my Windstar week in Iceland I’ll be boarding a Celebrity cruise to get me back to the States. Celebrity no longer requires a jacket, but I have always found that I need the extra layer to combat the overly air conditioned dining areas.

So, does Windstar chill the dining areas and other common areas? I get it that I don’t need a jacket for “formality “, but do I need it for warmth? Can I stash my jacket ashore along with other spare clothes in between my two cruises?

Stan

A lightweight sweater will keep you just as warm.

8 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

I've never felt chilly in the dining rooms on Windstar. We usually wear slacks & short sleeve shirts, mostly polos, and find the temperature fine. The times you may want an extra layer are for the deck BBQ or dining outside at Candles. Usually, they do the deck BBQ on a night when they are in port late, but sometimes they do it while sailing and the breeze can make it chilly. A sweater or fleece can be welcome then depending on season & region.

Edited by new_cruiser

9 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

Everyone's body thermometer is different - what you think is cool, others may think is fine or warm.  I've seen lots of passengers in short sleeves in the dining room, but you will need to decide for yourself.

• Like 1

The world (and America, especially) is becoming more informal. I would suggest that your age and line of work at home might make a difference. I'll comment that if I got invited to the Captain's table, or sat with an officer in uniform (which happens more often than a Captain invite), I would personally feel more comfortable in a sports jacket with, likely, no tie.

I know that Hedge Fund Lords won't enter a restaurant unless they are welcome in a polo shirt. (An expensive looking one, not like my discount ones.) And I'm in favor of no-dress-code cruising. I'm just suggesting that special occasions do exist. I never had to dress at work. But now that I'm retired, I often wear a jacket (and even a tie) when I go into New York City for the day. I love it when the museum guards nod to me as if I were (might be ...  ) some big donor! Half-kidding, of course.

• Like 3

We have well over 100 nights on Windstar; including TAs and cold weather climates as well as warm.  We have had dinner with the captain and other officers. We even attended an unusual formal dinner in the lounge once with all 33 passengers onboard  and all officers not on duty. My husband has never worn a sport coat or any type of jacket to any dinner. Once or twice we have seen men wearing them, and they looked very nice. If someone wants to wear a jacket, they should. 

I don’t know who the “hedge fund lords” are, but they or anyone else would also look appropriately dressed in any price polo shirt.😀   I agree I like to see my husband in a dinner jacket, but he wears one at work and prefers not to when traveling. He usually wears a button down shirt, long or short sleeved, and adds a sweater in cold weather.

Just my experience and opinion. YMMV   😁

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

We have well over 100 nights on Windstar; including TAs and cold weather climates as well as warm.  We have had dinner with the captain and other officers. We even attended an unusual formal dinner in the lounge once with all 33 passengers onboard  and all officers not on duty. My husband has never worn a sport coat or any type of jacket to any dinner. Once or twice we have seen men wearing them, and they looked very nice. If someone wants to wear a jacket, they should. 

I don’t know who the “hedge fund lords” are, but they or anyone else would also look appropriately dressed in any price polo shirt.😀   I agree I like to see my husband in a dinner jacket, but he wears one at work and prefers not to when traveling. He usually wears a button down shirt, long or short sleeved, and adds a sweater in cold weather.

Just my experience and opinion. YMMV   😁

The bolded sentence above is really all that needs to be said on this topic.  No one else will, or should, care.

Edited by marinaro44

5 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

The bolded sentence above is really all that needs to be said on this topic.  No one else will, or should, care.

Thanks. Yes, I understand all that. My question was not about if I should wear a jacket, but rather I asked whether I needed a jacket for warmth in a chilled space. And that question has been answered.

18 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Thanks. Yes, I understand all that. My question was not about if I should wear a jacket, but rather I asked whether I needed a jacket for warmth in a chilled space. And that question has been answered.

I know.  And I responded to your question above in post #10.  This thread isn't only about you, you have to realize.  In my posting you just quoted I was reinforcing the point made by pudgesmom.  Nothing to do with you or your question about temperature.  So don't lecture me with silly underlining.

• 2 months later...

Shorts are not permitted at dinner. However, they don’t list the new outside Star Bistro. It’s possibly an oversight, although maybe policy has changed. There is no mention of hats. From the website:

If you’re dining in Amphora, Stella Bistro, or Cuadro 44 by Anthony Sasso in the evening, slacks or non-distressed jeans are appropriate, paired with collared, button-down or polo shirts, or fashion tops or blouses. Skirts with nice tops, casual dresses and sundresses are also good choices. Dress shoes, nice sandals or stylish athletic casual shoes round out your evening wardrobe. Depending on your destination you may wish to pack shorts, hats, flip flops and t-shirts, but please reserve them for your daytime activities.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2022 at 1:54 PM, cdcampione said:

Can my husband wear a nice cowboy hat to any of the evening dining venues. 

Can he wear dress shorts to outside venue?

It is never appropriate to wear any hat indoors. 

On 1/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, fortunatetail said:

On multiple Windstar cruises I have almost always worn a sport coat to dinner. With collared shirt or polo shirt. I just feel better that way. Have seen lots of men in sport coats, but not the majority.  You won’t feel out of place either way. 

I pack one. It comes in handy for a cool evening or maybe when dining at a nice place on shore. Many wear one to receptions, but a nice shirt, even of the untucket type are perfectly fine.