The Douro-----

Lois R

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Trending?  It sounds more like that large group set the – unusual – tone for that one AMA cruise.

No doubt and with a filled to capacity boat you would not even  know it was one group.  Couple that with no changing of tables it was hard to meet new people.

On 10/25/2021 at 1:16 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for the kind words🙂 I appreciate it.  I will do my research and see what happens.

Actually, I have something else in motion with SS for August but still waiting to see if that comes through. It will now determine if/when I go earlier in the summer. 

Lois I am on Uniworld 5/22

On 10/26/2021 at 10:48 AM, sjde said:

I have never tried pink port but the white is wonderful and can’t find it in the US.

There were cruises available in the fall when I checked yesterday for three lines. 

CroisiEurope has five ships on the Douro that range from 132 to 142 passengers . If the ships have to be smaller,  does that mean the cabins are smaller to fit that many people? 

On 10/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, I checked Tauck and every cruise I was looking at is sold out already. Basically, their entire summer of 2022 has nothing available for this itinerary.  I will continue to research and see what comes up.

1 hour ago, CUTTERSAM said:

I ended up booking AMA Paris/Normandy in July.  Hopefully we will both have good cruises😀

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, Lois R said:

Hi friends😀 I just returned home (very late) Thursday night from an Ocean cruise out of Lisbon for 12 nights😀.  It was FABULOUS......loved Lisbon and all the Islands surrounding it.  I loved it so much I have been re-thinking cruises for next year. I was looking at the Seine but now I want to do the Douro instead.

So of course the question is, which line? I have been on AMA and Uniworld and really loved both of those sailings.  Just want to get some feedback on those of you who have taken one on The Douro...........any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This would be for next summer🙂

Hope I'm not too late with a response. We did the Douro with Viking and I wrote a very comprehensive review on my cruise blog. Here is the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/06/viking-hemming-and-portugals-river-of-gold/

37785979_PalaceMateusRichardandBarbara.jpg.a9c742771071c3ff60babf7ad0ce9c5c.jpg

890137857_Sandemanestate.thumb.jpg.239fc285a20b79ba113a469fc80b8907.jpg

• Like 1

Okay Richard where on the Solent are you? My best friend of all time is due to visit today on her way back to Portsmouth where she still lives and I was brought up.   By the way I love your Sandyman picture, is that the correct term, that and the Bull are all over Spain. Due to my visiting friends experience with Viking who were so very very good to her and her family when her husband was taken ill on board I do tend to support Viking their knockers are a bit full on. Give it a couple of years and I would do the Douro again the people were wonderful.

• 4 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, CUTTERSAM said:

I am booked on Uniworld Douro for July. I know the weather will be “warm”, but the “no single supplement “ deal made it hard to pass up.  I hope you have a great time!  If you can, please post a review or your thoughts when you return!

Liz

Another +1 for AMA.  Instead of their pre-cruise in Lisbon, we did our own exploring but were able to join that group for transfer to the boat in Porto.  It was a round trip with a day long excursion to Salamanca in the middle.  We loved the daytime cruising - such wonderful scenery.  We’d repeat this one in a heartbeat!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 2:18 PM, Liz said:

I am booked on Uniworld Douro for July. I know the weather will be “warm”, but the “no single supplement “ deal made it hard to pass up.  I hope you have a great time!  If you can, please post a review or your thoughts when you return!

Liz

I will. Mine is a rebook, price held when they cancelled. If I were paying for it today it's over 13k. I paid 4500 French balcony solo.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:03 AM, CUTTERSAM said:

I will. Mine is a rebook, price held when they cancelled. If I were paying for it today it's over 13k. I paid 4500 French balcony solo.

The current prices are crazy, aren’t they!  Are you doing the post-cruise package in Lisbon? I added it - I have wanted to visit Lisbon for a long time, so this will give me a taste of the city.  I’m hoping I have time for a day trip to Sintra and (maybe) Cascais.  Both are supposed to be spectacular but with only one free day, I might have to choose one or the other. 

Liz

On 10/25/2021 at 5:23 PM, ljandgb said:

Not at all what you asked, but if you're going to be in Portugal, tack on several days in Madeira.  It's an easy flight from Lisbon.  I spent a week there, after a week in Caiscais,  Feb 2020 and fell in love with it.  I really enjoyed mainland Portugal, but Madeira is really special. The interior and northern parts of the island are magical.

Agree, loved Madeira!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 3:08 PM, vakamalua said:

Agree, loved Madeira!

'tack on several days in Madeira.  It's an easy flight from Lisbon.  I spent a week there, after a week in Caiscais,  Feb 2020 and fell in love with it." 

At your suggestions, we decided to do five days (Sun-Thurs) on our own on Madeira post Douro cruise of Emerald's Radiance in early November, 2022. (it's not an easy non-stop flight from Porto--either very early on very late --but that's OK--part of the adventure.

We're still planning but current plans are to rent a compact car and stay in the Ponto Moniz area.  What are "don't miss" venues that can be done with a compact car?  Also, any "don't miss" attractions where it  would be better to use a guided tour rather than trying them on our own?  All recommendations about guides and tour operators will be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 2:18 PM, Liz said:

Liz

Hi Liz, just back from Uniworld Douro. Good, very good and needs improvement .  I found a could of "kids" my age right away and spent dinners with them. Food and service was outstanding. Tours were so good and focused.  You felt like you really got something that would stay with you. Rooms are really tight on storage. The bathroom is a horror, the shower is like a phone booth but doors don't stay closed well and you flood.  no bathrobes!! Laundry has 48 hr turn around (useless) but they have a w/d you can use. I tested negative 3x, got out of Europe and tested pos just after getting back in the states...whew close one, but I have no symptoms.  Happy to answer any questions. BTW, Portugal's Douro river was a site to behold. I could not take my eyes off the vistas and vineyards. Spectacular scenery and you will be hot!!

8 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Hi Liz, just back from Uniworld Douro. Good, very good and needs improvement .  I found a could of "kids" my age right away and spent dinners with them. Food and service was outstanding. Tours were so good and focused.  You felt like you really got something that would stay with you. Rooms are really tight on storage. The bathroom is a horror, the shower is like a phone booth but doors don't stay closed well and you flood.  no bathrobes!! Laundry has 48 hr turn around (useless) but they have a w/d you can use. I tested negative 3x, got out of Europe and tested pos just after getting back in the states...whew close one, but I have no symptoms.  Happy to answer any questions. BTW, Portugal's Douro river was a site to behold. I could not take my eyes off the vistas and vineyards. Spectacular scenery and you will be hot!!

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about your test results though.  I’m going to make a list of questions for you and post them in the next day or so, if that’s okay. That way you can answer all at once.  Welcome home!

Liz

10 hours ago, Liz said:

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about your test results though.  I’m going to make a list of questions for you and post them in the next day or so, if that’s okay. That way you can answer all at once.  Welcome home!

Liz

Of course, fire away 🙂

We did the Douro cruise in April 2014 on Viking Hemming.

The Douro is the most spectacular river, with steep banks towering over you either side lined with grape vines on horizontal terraces just wide enough for a single row. The banks narrowing as you cruise upriver till you go through gorges just a bit wider than the boat.

The navigable river is not long, you stop at the Spanish border for a day trip by coach to Salamanca.

Whatever cruise line you go with and whichever livery the restaurant staff wear, as @Steamboat   says  all the boats are crewed by the same Portuguese company.

While I enjoyed the cruise, I did not want to two days beforehand in Lisbon, not that Lisbon isn't a fine city and has lots to see, but both of us have been several times before and have worked there, but the main reason is the long coach drive to Porto from Lisbon. It left early and we were intending to doze on the trip. Maybe we were unlucky but the guide did not stop inane chatter over the PA system till we got to Porto.

The crew took a much more relaxed attitude than usual Viking ships crew. Even when we went under a very low rail bridge the top deck remained open and we were advised to sit very low in our chairs, the sharp edge of a steel girder passed inches above our head.

The other thing I didn't like was the meals off the boat, one dinner was in the gloomy chill of a monastery crypt and memories of the potato soup we were served linger on. I didn't reckon much to the barbecue buffet dinner served at the Spanish border. I would have preferred Viking's usual superior dinners served on tablecloths in the restaurant. But for a different view of the same trip taken a few months later read @Solent Richard's excellent blog.

Viking now offer two ways to take the Douro cruise, with the two nights in Lisbon or by flying directly to Porto, so we may do the Douro again.

NOTE: If you are flying out of Porto with TAP, ensure you reconfirm flight - either yourself or ask the boat's reception to do so. On our trip only those that had reconfirmed were boarded, we were bumped. TAP were quite shameless in saying we were on a cheap flight and they'd resold the seat.

CIMG2239.JPG

CIMG2477.JPG

• Like 2

Wonderful country, lovely people, they manage to include Port in just about everything they cook. Look out for their ceramic tiles. We went with Scenic slightly off CD but made for by one of the tour guides Elizabeth.

image.thumb.jpeg.f270b16db090f498e89b139fd7f7ac9b.jpeg

They also like bridges.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:05 AM, CUTTERSAM said:

Of course, fire away 🙂

Apologies for the delay. Life seems very busy lately!

Shore excursions: it looks like there are three days that offer two different excursions.  What did you do in each port? Did you hear any negatives about the other tours they offered (the ones you didn’t take)? 
Did they test for Covid before disembarkation? I’m doing the three-day post-cruise extension in Lisbon so will probably bring a self-test in case they don’t provide one at the hotel.  Will also look for a pharmacy or test site nearby as a backup.

I’m sure it will be hot so I’m planning to bring shorts to wear during the day, with a large scarf to wrap like a skirt if we visit any churches.  Do you think that will be okay? I also plan to bring capris and two pairs of slacks with nice tops or sweater sets to wear at dinner. Acceptable? That’s what I did for my previous river cruises (Emerald and Viking) and it was fine, but you never know!  I’m trying to limit myself to a medium suitcase this time.

My flight arrives Porto at 8:25am Sunday morning. I understand we can’t board until mid-afternoon - did you find any don’t-miss sights in Porto while waiting to board? My plan is to wander and explore, especially after a long flight.  It looks like there are cafes fairly close to the dock, so will research them to find a lunch spot.

Thanks for your help!  I’m really looking forward to this experience!

Liz

19 hours ago, Liz said:

Apologies for the delay. Life seems very busy lately!

Shore excursions: it looks like there are three days that offer two different excursions.  What did you do in each port? Did you hear any negatives about the other tours they offered (the ones you didn’t take)? 
Did they test for Covid before disembarkation? I’m doing the three-day post-cruise extension in Lisbon so will probably bring a self-test in case they don’t provide one at the hotel.  Will also look for a pharmacy or test site nearby as a backup.

I’m sure it will be hot so I’m planning to bring shorts to wear during the day, with a large scarf to wrap like a skirt if we visit any churches.  Do you think that will be okay? I also plan to bring capris and two pairs of slacks with nice tops or sweater sets to wear at dinner. Acceptable? That’s what I did for my previous river cruises (Emerald and Viking) and it was fine, but you never know!  I’m trying to limit myself to a medium suitcase this time.

My flight arrives Porto at 8:25am Sunday morning. I understand we can’t board until mid-afternoon - did you find any don’t-miss sights in Porto while waiting to board? My plan is to wander and explore, especially after a long flight.  It looks like there are cafes fairly close to the dock, so will research them to find a lunch spot.

Thanks for your help!  I’m really looking forward to this experience!

Liz

Do as the locals do walking tour. Lunch at Quinta. Vineyard hike and tasting. Castelo Rodrigo, Guimares city tour. I skipped Salamarca it was 4 hours on bus. These were good picks but bear in mind it will be 100 degrees when you go. I didn't hear any negatives. Tested upon arrival and day before departure. The arrival was free departure I think was 60.00. I could be wrong on that. I had no bill leaving the ship but I had a 100.00 credit. You can test everywhere

I booked a night at hotel for first night and went from there, you can board the ship early but rooms are no ready. Country club casual for dinner. I only took a carry on and a medium backpack.  There is a little self serve laundry on the ship, very handy.  I don't remember anything good on the dockside. Hang out on the Riberia side of the river than cab over to your ship.  How do you intend to wander with suitcase?  You could but Porto is like San Fran with the hills. You'll be 40 pounds lighter by days end.  Any other questions, fire away..ps no sundries for sale on board, so don't look for aspirin or pepto or any "emergency items". The shower is going to make you crazy, you'll understand when you get there. I look forward to your "review"!!

35 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Do as the locals do walking tour. Lunch at Quinta. Vineyard hike and tasting. Castelo Rodrigo, Guimares city tour. I skipped Salamarca it was 4 hours on bus. These were good picks but bear in mind it will be 100 degrees when you go. I didn't hear any negatives. Tested upon arrival and day before departure. The arrival was free departure I think was 60.00. I could be wrong on that. I had no bill leaving the ship but I had a 100.00 credit. You can test everywhere

I booked a night at hotel for first night and went from there, you can board the ship early but rooms are no ready. Country club casual for dinner. I only took a carry on and a medium backpack.  There is a little self serve laundry on the ship, very handy.  I don't remember anything good on the dockside. Hang out on the Riberia side of the river than cab over to your ship.  How do you intend to wander with suitcase?  You could but Porto is like San Fran with the hills. You'll be 40 pounds lighter by days end.  Any other questions, fire away..ps no sundries for sale on board, so don't look for aspirin or pepto or any "emergency items". The shower is going to make you crazy, you'll understand when you get there. I look forward to your "review"!!

Thank you!  I’m using Uniworld for airport transfers, so I suspect they will store my bag until my room is available.  I usually do hand-laundry when I cruise, but it’s good to know about the laundry! I’ve started my packing list (including sunscreen, a bathrobe and full supply of sundries 😊) so will include a handheld fan with extra batteries.  I will check in with more questions, I’m sure!  Thanks again for your help!

Liz

I've just returned from seven days via Ama Waterways on the Douro.  I loved it and would be happy to repeat this route one day.  I'd welcome any questions.  We started and finished in Porto, which is a beautiful and lively city.  We lucked out with weather; clear and sunny and not excessively hot - so long as you can find some shade.  English is widely spoken, and the locals are friendly.  Port wine was offered just about everywhere, though we were served decent table wines at lunch and dinner, too.  Excursions were well planned. I wouldn't have missed the Salamanca day - gorgeous city with much to see, and the bus ride each way didn't seem objectionable.

• Like 1

I purchased a neck fan from Amazon - just in case the heat is beyond what I’m used to here in Southwest Florida!  Tested it poolside and I give it two thumbs up.

I usually budget $30/day (€ equivalent) on cruise days for incidentals.  Does that sound reasonable to the “Douro alumnae”? 😉. I know there shouldn’t be too many out of pocket expenses but I hate to use a credit card for purchases unless it’s truly necessary.  I haven’t researched Lisbon yet but am thinking $70/day since I’ll be responsible for most of my meals. Any leftover cash will be useful for my next trip, to Spain.

Five weeks to go!

Liz

C243EB5C-329A-439D-9F69-69A0EF5F657A.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carolfay said:

I've just returned from seven days via Ama Waterways on the Douro.  I loved it and would be happy to repeat this route one day.  I'd welcome any questions.  

We arrive in Porto in the morning before boarding an Emerald boat the following evening.  Any recommendation for a DIY sunset cruise on the Douro the evening of our arrival (rather than paying the Emerald Plus sunset cruise the evening before disembarking in Porto)?

Our Ama cruise included a brief sunset/dusk cruise the first evening, before the boat headed upriver.  Lights of the city were charming.  I didn't investigate any other options for additional cruising, though there appear to be many boats in Porto offering brief river trips.  It was near dusk when we returned to Porto seven days later, and city lights were beginning to twinkle then, too.