Foot wear for kayaking

scottjeanne

I'm headed to the Galapagos next month for my first cruise on Silversea and had questions about kayaking there as well.  For my booking, under the important information tab, there is a link to a Kayak Program FAQ document.  The link does not work so I reached out to SS to get a copy.  Information about both polar and non-polar regions is included in the document I received and should be attached.

Kayaking FAQs.pdf

Kayaking was our favorite part of Antarctia and also the Arctic.  You'll be wearing a dry suit, not a wet suit.  It is a rather cumbersome onesie. Think of the little boy in Christmas story wearing his snowsuit. Well worth the effort for the experience.  We wore just our thermal under layers and thermal socks underneath. If you get cold feet, consider two pairs.  I slipped to the back of the room to change for privacy the first time. The second time didnt bother, it was one big changing room with everyone focused on how to actually get into the dry suit. There will be plenty of people to help you figure it out.  The dry suits are quite warm and you will quickly work up a sweat. The pogies are neoprene saucers that fit on the paddle.  I did not wear gloves with them and my hands were warm.  Others wore waterproof gloves, and some bought some cheap dishwashing gloves in Ushuia. Ingenious. The attached felt waterproof booties are a little slip slidy, but you will not be doing much walking.  I've thought about trying my reef shoes next time for some structure but not sure they will fit in the booties. If using your cell phone camera, the waterproof pouches are a must. Have a fantastic trip.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 2:40 PM, scottjeanne said:

I have a question about kayaking in Antarctica.  I understand that their is a wet suit with gloves to wear on the kayaks.  What does one wear on your feet?  Does it have attached booties?

I can't comment on Antartica, haven't been there.  But investing in a pair of good water shoes, go to a place like REI, pros at such stuff, to buy a pair.  You'll find they come in handy not only for Kayaking but for wet landings from Zodiacs.  In the Galapagos if I remember, there were 3 or 4.  You'll need them on most of your Silversea adventures they really come in handy.  

Chrism23,

For the zodiac landings you must have knee high insulated boots that you can either purchase or rent, so I am set there.  My water shoes are open and airy-suitable for the tropics, not Antarctica.  I think my feet would be very cold.  Thank you for the advice.