Bringing Hair Dye

LadyZolt

Hi, everyone!  I just booked the "ultimate world tour" and I'm sure I'll use the salon sometimes, but I searched and am unable to find if one can bring boxed hair dye (like Nice 'N Easy or Clairol, etc.) aboard the ship.  Is this a permitted item?  Anyone know?  Thanks!

We decided to do the Regent Seven Seas World Cruise instead. 131 days and a much nicer itinerary - and we got a concierge suite for the same price as an OV cabin on RCL.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, poocher said:

Several liters????!  Can I ask what you’re bringing?

I have curly hair, can’t do the stuff Royal has in the shower. For a 9 month trip I expect to need:

2 liters shampoo

3 liters conditioner 

3 liters hair gel 

I use Deva Curl and it’s not something I can just grab at a shop near a port. 

• Like 1

Thanks, all!  That makes it a bit easier for me.   🙂  

Orville99:  The Regent itinerary is quite nice, too!  But, like most things, it's subjective.  For us, the Royal Caribbean one is more of what we want to see -- like Antarctica, Machu Pichu, the Great Wall of China, the Norwegian fjords -- so it's good that there are lots of cruising choices!  Have a great cruise!  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SummerBeee said:

I have curly hair, can’t do the stuff Royal has in the shower. For a 9 month trip I expect to need:

2 liters shampoo

3 liters conditioner 

3 liters hair gel 

I thank God every day for my short straight wash & go hair!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gmerick said:

Follow the advice of Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, US Navy (the lady who invented the COBOL programming language):

--- It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.

Actually she created a programming language called "flo-matic" which later evolved into COBOL, and while she consulted with CODASYL on its development, she was not the "inventor". She is most famous in programming culture for coining the word "bug" as it relates to computers when her first computer froze when a moth got trapped in the system.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SummerBeee said:

2 liters shampoo

3 liters conditioner 

3 liters hair gel 

Ditch the shampoo and wash with the conditioner.  Makes a huge improvement in hair condition!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, poocher said:

I tried that (once).  Saw a video suggesting condition first then shampoo.  Yeah, no. Maybe with a different type of hair but it was a mess for me.

Nope, no shampoo -- just silicone free conditioner and silicone-free styling products.  Shampoo is too damaging...

3 hours ago, SummerBeee said:

I do that, except when in pool or salt water. I can probably get by with 1 bottle of shampoo for 9 months

I've used shampoo maybe half a dozen times in the past decade.  It's really unnecessary, and quite damaging especially for curly hair.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I've used shampoo maybe half a dozen times in the past decade.  It's really unnecessary, and quite damaging especially for curly hair.

And I started coloring/perming  my hair FOR the damage.  Poker straight, baby fine - damaging it was the only way to get any body. I don’t doubt your word but I’m too old to change my spots now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flamingos said:

I have never been able to color my hair without making a huge mess, even in a normal sized sink and bathroom. I cannot image cleaning up that tiny bathroom and sink.  🙂

And I have no doubt I’d turn my hair green!!  I leave it to the professionals.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 3:59 PM, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

I would definitely take some hair color if you dye your own hair. I would also take an old towel so not to stain the ships towels. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. I wondered about this. I also usually sleep on a towel until the first wash in case any color rubs off.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:01 AM, flamingos said:

I have never been able to color my hair without making a huge mess, even in a normal sized sink and bathroom. I cannot image cleaning up that tiny bathroom and sink.  🙂

That is why I would plan to tip the Steward generously if he/she would need to clean the bathroom and deal with towels with dye on them.😉