We can't find any companies that sells Covid quarantine insurance for Canadian cruisers

gam888

We are considering taking a cruise in December with Royal Caribbean to the Caribbean. We are both fully vaccinated. However, we have difficulty finding an insurance company that will sell us insurance if we need to be quarantined should we test positive when we get off the ship. We have found companies that will cover medical expenses if we come down with Covid during the cruise, but nobody so far offers coverage for the expenses if we need to quarantine in a hotel for a number of days before we test negative again and allowed to fly back to Canada. That is a big concern for us. With all the break out cases for fully vaccinated people, although we do not intend to party and mingle with other passengers, there is no guarantee that we will not be exposed to Covid and test positive when the ship gives us the test before we disembark. So even if we might not feel sick, once someone is tested positive, you will have to quarantine, and that could cost a few thousand dollars. Royal Caribbean does not sell insurance to Canadians I believe, we would have to find insurance on our own. There must have been some Canadians who have cruised in the last couple of months, where do you get an insurance policy that covers Covid quarantine expenses? Thank you for any responses in advance.

We are also wondering about this.  There is another thread where the subject of insurance for cruising has been discussed extensively but no discussion I have found about coverage for any possible land hospitalization/quarantine if Covid is contracted on the ship.  Our insurance company has clearly stated that if Covid is  contracted on the ship, then any related land costs would not be covered while the Level 4 advisory remains in place.  Will be very interested to see other responses.

We’ve found that we have COVID coverage while cruising and quarantine coverage afterwards through Green Shield Canada, but it’s a policy through my employer. Not sure if you can purchase it separately. 

We are in the same situation. Want to cruise with Princess in December. We have contacted several insurance company that do not cover quarantine if we test positive at disembarkation. 

Last week we had a few exchanges with a Heymondo representative. They told us that they cover quarantine even if it is after a cruise and despite the fact that Canada has a level 4 travel advisory for cruises. We have never used this company but are considering doing it. They have pretty good reviews but we are a little aprehensive since we don’t know them….

You can always contact them and judge for yourself. Hope it helps ! 

Edited by Mer turquoise

Get your COVID-related medical insurance through Blue Cross or one of the other companies offering coverage and book your cruise with Celebrity, RCI or one of the other lines that will cover your quarantine and related expenses, including flying you home if necessary.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Get your COVID-related medical insurance through Blue Cross or one of the other companies offering coverage and book your cruise with Celebrity, RCI or one of the other lines that will cover your quarantine and related expenses, including flying you home if necessary.

trying to find a Canadian insurer that will cover quarantine in Florida if we test positive before flight.  The only company that will cover us after a cruise is Desjardins.  But they do not cover you while on the cruise so would have to get have to get additional coverage during cruise.   If you are okay with self insuring for quarantine then there are more options available.  Will figure this out before I go!

Thank you everyone for replying my post.

Thank you Broberts for the Royal Caribbean link. I wonder if they would fly us home from Barbados to Toronto if we test positive during the cruise. Even if they would, are we allowed to enter Canada if we are Covid positive? I think we would not be allowed to fly back with Air Canada if we are positive. I think if you were a U.S. citizen, you can purchase insurance from Royal. But it is not even offered on their website for Canadians. It's a make or break if we can't get quarantine insurance, we would have to cancel our cruise.

8 hours ago, gam888 said:

Thank you everyone for replying my post.

Thank you Broberts for the Royal Caribbean link. I wonder if they would fly us home from Barbados to Toronto if we test positive during the cruise. Even if they would, are we allowed to enter Canada if we are Covid positive? I think we would not be allowed to fly back with Air Canada if we are positive. I think if you were a U.S. citizen, you can purchase insurance from Royal. But it is not even offered on their website for Canadians. It's a make or break if we can't get quarantine insurance, we would have to cancel our cruise.

Very valid concerns. The possibility of testing positive post-cruise and not being able to fly back home is a huge issue for us as well. We've bought the Blue Cross coverage because it specifically does have COVID medical coverage for cruises, but they would not fly us home if we tested positive and were asymptomatic, which would almost certainly be the case as we are fully vaccinated. If we did come down with serious enough symptoms, then they would consider medevac-ing us home but presumably they would only do that if it were cheaper to charter a plane than pay the outrageous US medical costs.  We are sailing Princess out of Fort Lauderdale in late November and they do cover quarantine. They pay for the post-cruise test, and if either of us tests +, they will pay for the hotel and per diem for our stay, but they won't fly us home.  AFAIK, only Celebrity will fly anyone home who tests +, regardless of their medical status.

If you do test +, no Canadian airline will let you board so you would have few options. Sit out the quarantine in the US, drive all the way home, or take the dubious decision to fly inside the US to a border town nearest your home, then drive across. The CBSA would not prevent you from coming into Canada if you arrived at a land crossing, though I expect you would have to quarantine after you arrived. You would have to show the results of a PCR test, not Antigen, but I haven't heard any reports of what they do if you show up at the border with a positive result. I sure hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

4 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Manulife offers COVID insurance.  Cover me Travel insurance 

I spoke with Manulife yesterday, and they were adamant that as long as federal government has cruising at "avoid all travel", all medical coverage for cruises is excluded under Section 8, paragraph 26 - 

SECTION 8 – Emergency Medical Exclusions & Limitations What does Emergency Medical Insurance not cover? We will not pay any expenses or benefits relating directly or indirectly to:

26. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory.

Insurance is such a patchwork across Canada. In Alberta Blue Cross won’t touch COVID so that option is out.  Many won’t touch cruises at all until the GOC lifts its advisory.  I’m a senior so have no employment benefit coverage. I’m not due to cruise until February 2022 so just holding out hope that the situation will become clearer.  Manulife wouldn’t quote this far out online so I’m patiently waiting. Good luck everyone in finding what you need to get back to cruising

17 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

I spoke with Manulife yesterday, and they were adamant that as long as federal government has cruising at "avoid all travel", all medical coverage for cruises is excluded under Section 8, paragraph 26 - 

SECTION 8 – Emergency Medical Exclusions & Limitations What does Emergency Medical Insurance not cover? We will not pay any expenses or benefits relating directly or indirectly to:

26. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory.

I think whoever you spoke to a Manulife is misinformed.  Medical Coverage unrelated to the travel advisory would be covered while on a cruise as it specifically states:

image.png.dbf075c7f3c59d9e531d029fe117af0c.png

And since this a specific Covid19 Insurance it makes no sense that it would not cover medical as it relates to Covid.

The Cruise Ban in Canada is lifted as of November 1, 2021 it will be interesting to see if the travel advisory for cruises is dropped.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, truckswain said:

I think whoever you spoke to a Manulife is misinformed.  Medical Coverage unrelated to the travel advisory would be covered while on a cruise as it specifically states:

image.png.dbf075c7f3c59d9e531d029fe117af0c.png

And since this a specific Covid19 Insurance it makes no sense that it would not cover medical as it relates to Covid.

The Cruise Ban in Canada is lifted as of November 1, 2021 it will be interesting to see if the travel advisory for cruises is dropped.

That was my thought as well, when I read through the policy... I was reading through everything while I was on hold for a sales agent. I kept seeing this, thinking it meant that as long as I was vaccinated, I was covered. When he said nothing is covered in cruises, I pointed this out, and he kept insisting that it wasn't covered. I asked him to point out where the policy states this, and that's when he noted paragraph 26 in the Section 8, under exclusions. 

I'd be happy if the travel advisory changed on Nov 1st, since then our work and credit card policies should also cover, however, I'm not holding my breath... CDC just extended the CSO to Jan 15th 2022, and I don't see Canada changing their advisory for cruises until CDC lifts the CSO completely... JMHO.

15 hours ago, Mer turquoise said:

We are in the same situation. Want to cruise with Princess in December. We have contacted several insurance company that do not cover quarantine if we test positive at disembarkation. 

Last week we had a few exchanges with a Heymondo representative. They told us that they cover quarantine even if it is after a cruise and despite the fact that Canada has a level 4 travel advisory for cruises. We have never used this company but are considering doing it. They have pretty good reviews but we are a little aprehensive since we don’t know them….

Under the princess cruise with confidence policy, they’re saying they cover the quarantine hotel if you test positive.

B73ED6A3-1790-404A-AD44-BA114041A9C0.png

18 hours ago, Mer turquoise said:

Heymondo, (which is a Spanish company), btw, ONLY covers Canadians to a maximum of $100,00 for Travel Medical Coverage!  Caveat Emptor!

I have purchased Medical Travel Insurance from 'Blue Cross', (which includes Covid-19 coverage)), at a very good premium price, in my view!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Heymondo, (which is a Spanish company), btw, ONLY covers Canadians to a maximum of $100,00 for Travel Medical Coverage!  Caveat Emptor!

I have purchased Medical Travel Insurance from 'Blue Cross', (which includes Covid-19 coverage)), at a very good premium price, in my view!

Yes I noticed that they are base in Madrid Spain, but their plan is with AXA witch is a well known company. I'm not here to promote them in any way since I don't know them and never used them. However we have contacted Manulife, Blue Cross, CAA and despite the fact that their website seams to indicate that they cover for those fees, every time we spoke to a representative, they said it was not covered because of the level 4 travel advisory.  I am kind of desperate ! Of course we would prefer to by insurance from one of them....

Where did you read that Heymondo will only cover 100$ for Travel medical coverage ? I'm interested to know since I don't see that on their web site. We are hesitant to go with them, but it is the only insurance company that confirmed  in writing (emails)  that they would cover us despite the level 4 advisory in place in Canada for cruises.

Thank you !

image.png.79c81b8ac17394ced96b384b3e3c67c0.png

image.png.038eb4680eef89c64d632a95e95ee4de.png

7 hours ago, Lizabu said:

Under the princess cruise with confidence policy, they’re saying they cover the quarantine hotel if you test positive.

Thank you for pointing that out Lizabu. But I am not sure it covers fees AFTER the cruise. Their policy indicate that it apply if you get "disembarked early". I'm going to check with them. Would be nice if it works after the cruise has ended !

Thanks again !

image.png.1f4602c3024d17c88998fbd4a16ee93c.png

33 minutes ago, Mer turquoise said:

image.png.1f4602c3024d17c88998fbd4a16ee93c.png

The first sentence says “……all the way through to disembarking from your cruise” so I wonder what that means then

Edited by Lizabu
  • Like 1

The Princess website is pretty clear: If you test positive while on the ship, they will pay for hotel and meals, and assign a rep to help out during  the quarantine period. The exact wording says:

If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you will be reimbursed for expenses for COVID-related medical care, including those incurred during any medically required post-disembarkation quarantine period. This includes air change fees if onward travel plans need to change.

We’ll designate a Dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until you or the member of your immediate travel party is medically cleared to travel home.

Any shoreside meals will be covered by a daily meal allowance, which you’ll learn about from the family assistance coordinator when you disembark. (No receipts required.)

We’ll also offer assistance opening COVID-related insurance claims (for those who are eligible under their insurance policies or travel protection plans).

Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home?
Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

What is the definition of "reasonable expenses"?
Reasonable expenses are Princess-approved hotel charges, daily meal allowance and reasonable airline change fees (costs not waived by third party providers). This program also covers reasonable and customary post-disembarkation medical costs specifically related to COVID-19 and denied by the guest’s primary insurer. Note: the program will not cover medical charges incurred after guests are cleared to travel home.

If I were really paranoid, I would be concerned with the statement "If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise...".  Technically Princess only test  departing passengers who require testing for onward travel AFTER they leave the ship, on shore after disembarkation, so technically they could say that you didn't test positive DURING the cruise, only after it. To be precise, their wording should say "If you contract COVID during your cruise and test positive during disembarkation, you will be reimbursed....."

Goose Insurance - provided a thorough quote for our Canadian group travelling to cruise out of FLL in January.  They have regular insurance and a COVID insurance.  The COVID insurance is not being offered through Goose to anyone over age 75.  I was happy to find an insurer  willing to offer COVID-19/Pandemic Multi-trip Medical Plan insurance.  Regular insurance offers $10 Million per trip.  COVID, only $500,000, but includes $50,000 of emergency transportation.

50 minutes ago, jlgreuel said:

Goose Insurance - provided a thorough quote for our Canadian group travelling to cruise out of FLL in January.  They have regular insurance and a COVID insurance.  The COVID insurance is not being offered through Goose to anyone over age 75.  I was happy to find an insurer  willing to offer COVID-19/Pandemic Multi-trip Medical Plan insurance.  Regular insurance offers $10 Million per trip.  COVID, only $500,000, but includes $50,000 of emergency transportation.

I took a look online and it seems to be a US company. They talk about out of state coverage and out of country (US) coverage, etc. How does that work for Canadian travellers?

34 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I took a look online and it seems to be a US company. They talk about out of state coverage and out of country (US) coverage, etc. How does that work for Canadian travellers?

The site I found specifically mentions cruise coverage for Canadian residents.  At the top you can select either Canada or the US as your location. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Indeed XLVIII is correct.  Select the US flag at the top right and select Canadian flag to get Canadian content.  

FYI - I felt the cost was really reasonable.  The premium quoted for an annual plan for me (I am not yet a senior) was less than $300 and included regular and COVID coverage.  Lots of options of trip durations to choose.