Dieting while cruising...Tips please!

WindinmySails

So I thought this would be "beauty" issue here.  I have been on a diet, 1500 calories a day and it has been pretty easy for me to stick to, however, I have a cruise coming up in November, the day after Thanksgiving.

My question is how do you make good choices with all those amazing choices of food on the ship.  How do you keep the calorie count down?  I would really appreciate some tips from you!

My approach is not very popular.  I stick to the buffet.  I can make a really nice entree-size salad or get just a little of something.  I can get the protein I want and not have to tell a waiter "please extra vegetables and no starch and no sauce and just broil the fish" and stuff like that every time.  Eating in the dining rooms or specialty restaurants gives me a little bit of pressure to eat more than I should because it's what's on the menu; at the buffet, I control everything. 

• Like 3

Hi, I think you can still watch what you eat in the main dining room.  Example, most lines offer a "standard menu" where they have various choices every night......a chicken, fish, red meat........

I recently returned from sailing out of Lisbon and my ship did not offer a buffet for dinner. I was able to always request grilled fish/chicken/or a lean steak with various veggies and I try to stay off the carbs....I always told them to leave off the potatoes and give me extra veggies.  Actually we always had several seafood proteins and more than one type of fish to choose from. Always a salmon and Chilean Sea Bass......and at least one other fish option too.

But as mentioned, if you prefer, most ships do offer a buffet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, Lois R said:

Hi, I think you can still watch what you eat in the main dining room.  Example, most lines offer a "standard menu" where they have various choices every night......a chicken, fish, red meat........

I recently returned from sailing out of Lisbon and my ship did not offer a buffet for dinner. I was able to always request grilled fish/chicken/or a lean steak with various veggies and I try to stay off the carbs....I always told them to leave off the potatoes and give me extra veggies.  Actually we always had several seafood proteins and more than one type of fish to choose from. Always a salmon and Chilean Sea Bass......and at least one other fish option too.

But as mentioned, if you prefer, most ships do offer a buffet. 

Lois - I don't like to ask for substitutions and it bothers me with my friends ask for substitutions at any restaurant, so I'm sure I wouldn't do it on a ship.  Doing the "standard menu" every night would get very boring for me - either chicken or fish (don't do red meat and can't do main course pasta).  I love main dish-sized salads anyway, so buffet is good for me.  Now, if I said at the MDR "for my main, would you please put 4 of those salads into a bowl for me???" 🤔

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Lois - I don't like to ask for substitutions and it bothers me with my friends ask for substitutions at any restaurant, so I'm sure I wouldn't do it on a ship.  Doing the "standard menu" every night would get very boring for me - either chicken or fish (don't do red meat and can't do main course pasta).  I love main dish-sized salads anyway, so buffet is good for me.  Now, if I said at the MDR "for my main, would you please put 4 of those salads into a bowl for me???" 🤔

Hi Kat,🙂 I was just giving a suggestion.......I guess you would not enjoy having a meal with me then.........

I try to avoid starches and if potatoes come with the dinner, I always ask for a vegetable instead. Never bothers me if people have certain things they need to eat or possibly have allergies to other things and have to substitute. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat,🙂 I was just giving a suggestion.......I guess you would not enjoy having a meal with me then.........

I try to avoid starches and if potatoes come with the dinner, I always ask for a vegetable instead. Never bothers me if people have certain things they need to eat or possibly have allergies to other things and have to substitute. 

Lois - I'll join you for the appetizer...

I just have too many girlfriends who drive me crazy when we go out to eat.  I swear I am the only one who can order without making modifications...  😉  I have too many friends here in town who are servers and they say it gets really tedious for them and the kitchen when people keep making modifications.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Lois - I'll join you for the appetizer...

I just have too many girlfriends who drive me crazy when we go out to eat.  I swear I am the only one who can order without making modifications...  😉  I have too many friends here in town who are servers and they say it gets really tedious for them and the kitchen when people keep making modifications.  

Well, I don't have that problem......it is just me here. I can't recall the last time I had a meal with a local girlfriend.   

It might get tedious, but these are the times......many folks have allergies that can be deadly.  And others, like me, prefer certain things........I am an over tipper so usually my servers don't complain if I have changes.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 10:41 AM, WindinmySails said:

So I thought this would be "beauty" issue here.  I have been on a diet, 1500 calories a day and it has been pretty easy for me to stick to, however, I have a cruise coming up in November, the day after Thanksgiving.

My question is how do you make good choices with all those amazing choices of food on the ship.  How do you keep the calorie count down?  I would really appreciate some tips from you!

Use a salad plate, not a dinner plate, especially at buffets

• Like 3

Some good ideas here - I like the suggestions of grabbing the salad plate and not dinner plate at the buffet. I find that it's easier for me to diet on a cruise/vacation than when I'm at home! At home I will sit around, I work from home, it's easier for me to constantly snack. On a vacation, I'm usually out and on excursions, etc. 

It's funny to see the size of dinner plates now versus years ago - they used to be the size of our salad plates! It really becomes grotesque when you see some of the piles of food on plates. 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 7:35 AM, awhfy said:

On our cruise last week we asked for a plate of extra veggies for the table. I always request no potato (unless it’s mashed, then DH gets extras. 

6AE0E66D-7C52-4822-8C94-53AAACBEE319.jpeg

Melody, love this picture......I LOVE asparagus!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Melody, love this picture......I LOVE asparagus!

Our daughter was so excited when she discovered we could get extra veggies (she’s a PE teacher & eats very healthy). They brought us extra asparagus too

• Like 1

My strategy has been to limit myself to one dessert per day. If I see something I like at lunch, I will eat just half, so I can also try something sweet after dinner if it appeals. I also try to limit wheat and will choose potatoes or rice as a side. We are active people so we enjoy walking, gym, or swimming every day. And dancing at night. 🙂

"Our taste buds are chemical sensors that tire quickly," she says. "The first few bites of a food taste better than the next few bites, and after a large amount, we may have very little taste experience left at all."

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/11/bite-chew#:~:text="Our taste buds are chemical,taste experience left at all."

• Like 1

The biggest calorie hit is booze, its laced with calories and that's what gets me especially if it's all inclusive as I feel I have to have my monies worth 🙈 🥂🍾🍻 afternoon tea is also a killer. 

Like @Janie1229 I do more exercise walking swimming dancing on a cruise than I would normally at home so it kinda evens out. Well most of the time lol 😜

• Like 1

@2BACRUISERis right about calories in alcohol - I didn't think about it since my hubby and I don't drink at all! So I guess I save a lot that way and can have more dessert? LOL. It may sound crazy but I love getting up early and working out in the gym overlooking the ocean. It's a great way to start the day, and I don't feel guilty if I do want some dessert or other food that isn't totally healthy. And then since I have worked out, I'm not as tempted since I want to keep the momentum going. 

I don't think you should totally avoid things you love to eat, but I also don't let myself become a glutton. I don't feel as good if I do that anyway. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

You don't have to eat everything, when you go to MDR. Buffet is good, can choose the amount you want. Alot of walking on the ship. Take the stairs, instead of the elevators. I seem to lose weight on a cruise, especially longer cruises.

• 1 month later...

I had weight loss surgery last summer and can eat about 4 oz of food every three hours. I must have protein first, which usually feels me up. I aim for at least 80 g of protein per day. Will this be doable on board the ship or do I need to supplement?

Edited by DEWGirl
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 6:22 PM, DEWGirl said:

I had weight loss surgery last summer and can eat about 4 oz of food every three hours. I must have protein first, which usually feels me up. I aim for at least 80 g of protein per day. Will this be doable on board the ship or do I need to supplement?

Bring some protein powder just in case. I’ve found I do really well with proteins on a ship

• Like 1

Another tip when dieting - drink a big glass of water before you start your meal. It really does help. I will also have a protein shake/drink before dinner and that helps A LOT to prevent overeating.

I would prefer MDR for dinner over buffet. I would be too tempted with all the dishes in my face!

• Like 1

Egg white omelet with a large plate of fruit or veggies in the morning.  Salad or naked burger for lunch.  5 full courses in the evening.  About the 5 courses, if the line serves large servings I ask them to half the serving.  I sail Holland a lot and their courses tend to be small, just right for me to enjoy a full meal.  Also I opt into the fish entree if served.  I also have them remove the bread basket.

This upcoming cruise I will try sugar-free desserts - something I have never tried.

I take long cruises and usually lose about 5 pounds.  Take advantage of someone cutting up all of your fruits and veggies.  Stay away from the smoothies - they are not necessarily healthy.