Thinking of proposing on cruise!!!

CONGRATULATIONS! I have a friend who was proposed to on a cruise, I think that's fabulous!

He took her on the deck under the stars before dinner the first night :) That might be nice so she'll be able to sport it all week. Or even earlier so you can call your family via cellphone instead of having to pay outrageous prices on the ship :) Of course, I'm sure her parents will already know because you'll have asked them (assuming they are both alive and well).

CONGRATS again!

I agree, if I were her, I would want to be able to wear it all week!!!! I am sure she will be estatic to just be on vacation...but think about it, she will be even more excited while she is showing off her new ring!;)

I think you should do it on formal night. Tell one of the photographers what your plan is. Then do it when you are getting ready for a picture. He can capture her expression when you propose and also your first picture together as an engaged couple! Those pictures would be priceless!

definetly the Traditional-sunset and bended knee kind of girl

Well, there you go. I don't know what your itinerary is but my 2 cents-if you have a late port, take her to a beautiful beach at sunset and just do it. If not, a deck on the boat that's private (just be prepared for the "phone calls").

Whatever way you choose to "pop the question", print this thread out for her to read at a later date. A guy asking how to do it right is probably one of the most romantic, thoughtful things you could do. She sounds like a very lucky lady and you seem like a very charming man.

Please let us know how it goes. Maybe a Southcarolinacruiser Honeymoon Extravaganza thru Cruisecritic?;)

What about right before we get on the boat when they take your picture (I know royal caribbea takes pictures prior to getting on...not sure if Carnival does) That way it would be in public, we would have time to call family and friends, I can arrange to have a bottle of the bubbly in the room, her reaction would be documented on film and she can show off the ring all week.

Not the most romantic idea given but let me know any feedback.........I really like the idea of having a photo of it

All this help is great......thank you so much..........whatever I decide to do I know it will be amazing.

I agree- if you propose the first formal night, it would be the perfect setting, and she'd have the ring to show off all week, and you'd both be on cloud 9, even more so, for the whole vacation.

This would have prevented the scary crabby boyfriend issue I brought up before. :)

I really like the photographer bit.

My idea: In the dining room, the wait staff will sing to you on special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, and what not. Arrange with the materdee to have them sing a verse of "Hoppy Honeymoon two shoes"

When they finish (and your soon to be fiancee is sufficently confused) the materdee can step in, scold them and apologise to you saying they weren't supposed to sing at your table. To which you reply "no, not this time, but perhaps on our next cruise." and present her with the ring.

Of course, have the photographer standing by.

Don't know a bout you, but I'm a sucker for a uniform. :rolleyes: Yes I have seen men in uniform on a cruise, you can work it in on the formal night.

My opinion...do it early on in the cruise, you will be less nervous & tense for the remainder of the cruise.

Then you can enjoy each others company. I agree with the others, whatever her personality is, don't do the opposite. If she is private, do private. But if she is a public person, I vote for getting the CD involved, it could only be a memory of a lifetime.

So romantic.....lucky lady.

You will have to also think about how to get the ring through security without it being ripped out of your carry on bag if you are going through an airport. My dh had everything taken out of his bag at airport security where he was stashing the ring. He was about to faint because I was standing right there watching and it would have ruined his surprise marriage proposal on the ship. I guess the checker thought twice and didn't whip it out, but it all worked out:) .

Good luck!

The only thing I see with doing it as you get on the boat and the picture thing is, when they are loading the boat, those pictures are taken quickly as they are rushing everyone along. You would have little time to "savor the moment". And believe me, this would be a moment she will want to savor. Go with formal night. That way you can celebrate the whole evening long.

Or, depending on what boat you are going on, Maybe they can put something on the Big Screen out in the pool area. There are usually lots of people there, expecially that first sea day.

Your cell phone will work in some ports, so maybe you can talk to family and friends then.

Oh, and I would wear that white uniform. Thanks for serving. I hope you get a double blessing!

Good luck!

I agree about the photo shoot, and having the moment captured. It may end up being a spur of the moment thing. Maybe when you're getting that first "getting on board" shot, it won't be too busy and you can propose then. Be prepared for anything. You'll know when the time is right, but don't get yourself too worked up that you're miserable. (Oh, to be a fly on the wall for this one!!)

I got proposed to on a cruise and now we’re getting married on a cruise! Here’s what he did (which I loved!) Our cruise was Mon-Fri and our formal dinner was Tues night. After snorkeling and beaching all day, we went back to nap & get ready for dinner. I woke up late and threw my wet hair up. We were with another couple. I made a comment about how I hated leaving w/ wet hair, but I was running late so oh well. My friend said to go back and do my hair, but I said no. Then we go to dinner and he ordered a bottle of wine. We had just been talking about how expensive it is to order a bottle of wine at dinner when you can get the same bottle for a lot less at the grocery store. So I was telling him not to, again my friend said to just let him do what he wanted.

So after dinner he said he wanted to go walk around the boat and we’d meet up with the other couple around 10:30 at a bar to hang out. So we walked to the back of the boat and went down a couple decks. We were standing there looking at Nassau and admiring the Atlantis hotel. The next thing I knew he was on one knee with a ring. It was very sweet – I was totally shocked!

A couple things to keep in mind… If you’re traveling with just her, be careful going through security. My fiancée had our friends hold the ring in their carry-on and made sure they always went after us in security in case they got caught up. Also, he had a co-worker tell a story of a guy who proposed on a boat and he dropped the ring into the water – poor guy! My fiancée made sure the deck we were on had another deck below it in case one of us dropped it.

Formal night was definitely the best way to go because we were both dressed up and were able to go get our picture taken right after it happened. My fiancée went on the boat tour on the first day so he could scope out a great location. If she is someone who would like it in front of a lot of people, definitely talk to the cruise director – I’m sure it happens a lot so they will know what to do! I would also recommend doing it at the beginning of the cruise.

Good luck and let us know what happens!!

Greetings.

If you haven't read the Destiny Past and Future thread yet, DON'T START AT THE BEGINNING!!!!! Go back about 10 pages or so and then start reading.

Looking forward to talking more. You really sound excited about all of this. Goodness knows I am!!

What about right before we get on the boat when they take your picture (I know royal caribbea takes pictures prior to getting on...not sure if Carnival does) That way it would be in public, we would have time to call family and friends, I can arrange to have a bottle of the bubbly in the room, her reaction would be documented on film and she can show off the ring all week.

Not the most romantic idea given but let me know any feedback.........I really like the idea of having a photo of it

All this help is great......thank you so much..........whatever I decide to do I know it will be amazing.

You know whatever you decide you will have to tell us how it went!!!

Right before you get on the boat might be a bit rushed and crowded. Plus, if you just flew in you might now look your best. On formal night you two will both look so nice and feel relaxed. Plus, you will be able to sit down to dinner and you can tell her how hard you planned, she can talk about how excited she is, and don't be shocked if she already starts throwing out some wedding ideas ;) .

You can call the family from the boat. It may be a bit pricey to call, but it will be worth the extra bucks!

I'm going to be the lone dissenter here but NO!

When I got engaged I immediately got on the phone with my family, his family and all of our friends and on a boat, it would either be insanely expensive or I'd have to wait until I got to shore and that would put a damper on the cruise.

How about getting engaged the night before you leave?

Also, you are probably going to have to get a separate rider on your homeowners for the engagement ring. Most only cover up to a certain amount.

Make sure you get the ring insured.

When I got engaged I immediately got on the phone with my family, his family and all of our friends and on a boat, it would either be insanely expensive or I'd have to wait until I got to shore and that would put a damper on the cruise.

quote]

Can you get calling cards for the cruise? Or do you still have to pay their per minute rate? I have heard that cell phones are useless on the cruise.

[Can you get calling cards for the cruise? Or do you still have to pay their per minute rate? I have heard that cell phones are useless on the cruise.

Because it is a ship to shore call it is going to be prohibitively expensive!

Can you propose the day you board?

I've seen guys in their dress uniforms at formal nights, so consider proposing on that night. If you want it provate, do it before dinner in some romantic spot, then celebrate with your tablemates at dinner. Or do it after dinner at the piano bar as others suggested. Formal night also means you can have nice photos of thetwo of you looking great on the night of your proposal.

Hmm.. what about proposing AT one of the busy photo stations as the before-dinner crowds are gathered. Talk to the photographer, have him arrange the two of you in different ways, then go down on one knee and propose as he snaps lots of pictures of her reaction!

However you decide to propose, your thoughtfulness in wanting this to be a special moment is a good omen for your marriage!

We went on a cruise for my birthday and before we left, a friend mentioned to me that she thought maybe Jim was going to propose. The week before the cruise, we started looking at rings. Jim told me we he would start saving so we could get more serious about getting engaged when we got back.

The third night of the cruise, just after midnight on my birthday, we were wandering around the boat on the top deck all dressed up for formal night. Jim says to me, I have to do this so I will always remember it....leaving me wondering why he was down on one knee...then it clicked...on one knee, box in hand...

I was happy he did it in a private spot. I am an emotional person and was glad I had a chance to pull myself together before announcing it to everyone.

The only problem with the whole thing was that the ring was a little to big and even with the ring guard, I was nervous about wearing it off the ship. If you do propose on the cruise, find out exact ring size!!!

I like the piano bar idea. Maybe add this twist to it.

My friend proposed to his wife at the airport. Back when you were allowed to meet them at the gate. He bought lots of flowers and passed them out to everyone at the gate. Had them form a line, giving the first person in line a picture of his girlfriend. When she came out she was given a rose by everyone in line and at the end of the line, my friend was on his knee. Kinda cool because everyone was involved and was really into it. Would be cool if some of your cruise passengers could be involved this way.

First of all, Congrats!!!

Secondly, I posted the exact same post a few years back. I decided to get engaged on our Legend cruise. First, I planned to propose in the chapel on one of the first few nights (formally). However, this plan went out the window when the chapel door was locked.

I proposed to my wife on the back of the ship with wine and the whole 9 years. This was a wonderful experience. Ever since this this time, we have been cruising like crazy.

I feel this is the most romantic way to ask... once again.. gratz.

How about getting engaged the night before you leave?

Also, you are probably going to have to get a separate rider on your homeowners for the engagement ring. Most only cover up to a certain amount.

Make sure you get the ring insured.

Geesh, Blue -- expensive phone calls, riders on insurance policies -- what a romantic!!!!!

Following that logic a guy should propose over a Grand Slam breakfast at Denny's. What a deal! And if it's on a weekend, phones rates are way lower!

Just teasin'. Call me crazy, but maybe phone rates and insurance riders are not generally the number one priority when a guy is going to ask his sweetie to get married.

CTMak

Archived