Thinking of proposing on cruise!!!

WOW i THINK PROPOSING ON THE CRUISE IS SO ROMANTIC AND DEFINATLEY DO IT EARLY SO SHE CAN WEAR HER SPARKLER ALL WEEK. i THINK ALL THE IDEAS ARE FABULOUS BUT YOU SHOULD DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU. LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!!:)

Don't know if you could pull it off, but maybe just as dinner on formal night is getting under way, you could excuse your self from the table. After a moment or two, if he would, have the captain come to the table and ask her to "come with me". He could escourt her to the center of the restaurant where the matradee could say over the horn, I have a special annoucement. Then you take the mic and propose in front of all. I'll bet you would get a real roar!

When is it your going again? And what ship... You gotta let us know what happens...

do you have a "song"? when my dh proposed to me we were at a party and he had the dj play our "song" (Bryan Adams - Heaven) and then we danced and afterwards he got down on one knee and proposed. I cried. :)

Do something memorable and that means something special for the 2 of you.

Anything you do, will be romantic. Its not the setting, the props, the timing... Its the WORDS ; )

One bit of advice... Make sure you have the correct ring size! There is nothing more frustrating then wanting to show it off and having it not fit!

Hey.. You are leaving same day I am... Which cruise you going on?

Good Luck!

WOW is all I can say...I never thought I would get this much feed back. This is actually my moms log on so I am not sure what cruise is listed as she is going on one is April. I am going on the holiday out of Mobile. Not the nicest ship in the fleet but the price is right for my military pay and I cant wait..............my cruise critic name is jcp0711

as for the song.....one song that is special to us is "Forever" by Ben Harper. It might sound real good in the piano bar. Right now I am leaning towards formal night but I am not sure when it is. You guys are giving me so many ideas I dont know what direction to go but I am sure I will sort it out.....anyways I do enjoy reading all these ideas so please keep them comming!!!

OK gotta say it. MAN IN UNIFORM OH YEAH BABY:p Do it on formal night. I can tell you know my DH was VERY happy that he was in uniform when he proposed. Ok I am a sucker for uniforms. Congrats.

Formal night was 2nd night propose at the pre-party of formal night. That would be awesome.

Totally off subject but check on military discount and take her on another cruise for the honeymoon

Do it prior to getting on the ship, I think that would be sweet! You'd get a picture and you wouldn't have people annoyed by waiting behind you because they'd all be damn near tears because it's always sweet to see someone getting engaged (at least I would think, I've never been engaged nor have I seen someone get engaged but I can imagine it would be amazing).

Go with your gut, you love her and you know her so you have to do what feels right for you :)

Hi there. I was recently on the Holiday and I can think of a really romantic spot if she is a sunset kind of girl. Every night after the early supper we would all walk up one deck to Doc Holidays, go all the way through the place and exit out a back door to a deck. Alot of people would forget that it was there (it's where the kiddy pool and ping pong tables are) so we would have the whole place to ourselves. We saw some of the most beautiiful sunsets there.

Definitly talk to some of the carnival people, maybe even before you get there. They could help with the planning. But don't be too dependant on them because sometimes things have a way of falling through the cracks.

On the day that you are planning to propose, you might buy her a session at the spa, maybe have it look like she won it in a drawing. So she would spend some time getting pampered and then feel great in time for the proposal.

Another idea, I think that the videography would be up for helping out. If they know in advance when and where you are going to do it, they may could film it somehow and then put it in the weekly video that everyone can get.

Lots of options, everyone that posted before me has great ideas as well. The whole proposal traditions are so fun, it's a shame that its' really only supposed to happen once!! lol

Best of luck, and I bet everyone would love to hear about it once you have completed your mission!!

Take care!!

How about this, first formal night you dressed in your uniform you go to get some formal pics taken as the photographer is setting you up say to him how about this drop to your knee and pop the question that would be an awesome formal night pic.

How about this, first formal night you dressed in your uniform you go to get some formal pics taken as the photographer is setting you up say to him how about this drop to your knee and pop the question that would be an awesome formal night pic.

I agree this sounds cool. How many people get a picture of the actual proposal. (Let the photographer in on it before you get there so he can snap the actual moment)

Whatever you decide please come back here and post how it went.

Another idea, I think that the videography would be up for helping out. If they know in advance when and where you are going to do it, they may could film it somehow and then put it in the weekly video that everyone can get.

Best of luck, and I bet everyone would love to hear about it once you have completed your mission!!

OOH, didn't even think about that one. Those guys were always around on our cruise. The only reason we bought the tape (last year. I hear they're doing CDs now) was because there was a shot of us at the Welcome Party with some new friends.

And (thank you crusinpsychRN for reminding us), THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

I would not plan on doing it at dinner because who knows what kind of tablemates you'll get or what location your table will be at. Dinner is nice, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it will be guaranteed romantic. My first cruise, I was seated by the kitchen door - it was fine with me, but NOT a good place for a proposal. Although I do like the Hoppy Honeymoon singing and saying "maybe next cruise it WILL be our honeymoon" idea.

I do agree that one of the best times to propose would be on formal night. Do it before dinner so that you will be able to eat and talk about the events leading up to the proposal. I can't imagine having to eat right before proposing. How will you enjoy the meal?!

Although the idea of having the proposal on camera is good. I wouldn't do it at one of the photo backdrops. The lines for those tend to be long and although you might have a few special minutes - as soon as the ring is on and a few pictures are snapped, you'll be ushered away from the backdrop so they can go about their business taking other folks pictures. I just don't see that as the most romantic thing you can do.

I have to agree that the deck behind Doc Holidays is about the best spot that you'll find for a private proposal on the holiday. The topless deck would also be good, but it will probably be more windy and she won't want her hair messed up before pictures. It is usually deserted at night though and it's a neat feeling to have that huge deck to yourself. The kids deck will nice, but you will likely have onlookers from the deck above. Not 100% private, but still very nice.

Another different idea I had is to propose during sail away. You could encourage her to have a "sail away" outfit and freshen up before heading up on deck (so the pics will be good). There's always photographers on deck during sailaway and there are lots of people around (for the attention). All you have to do is wait until her drink is almost empty. Tell her to enjoy the view and that you're going to go get another drink for her and to get the photographer to come back with you to take a sail away picture. You could get her the drink and slip the ring on the straw. (or you could skip that part and just do the photographer thing) Tell him really quick what you're going to do so he'll anticipate it when you get back to her. You could even tell him to ask the question "Is this your honeymoon?" like the dining room scenario above. This way, you don't have to be nervous for days, you are still within cell phone range for the calls, and she gets to show off her rock all week, and she gets formal night pics with her ring on. If you do this, I'd still take her out behind Doc Holidays and spend some quality alone time at some point during the cruise. This isn't the most romantic option, however. Another spin on this is to get the ships photog to take a pic of you in the middle of the lido deck in front of the band area and then make a "scene" by proposing in front of everyone with photog still there snapping away. Less romantic, but more "showy". The band would probably even get into it without asking if you couldn't get to them beforehand. The videographers are always at the Welcome Aboard sail away party, so if you could manage to get them AND the photographer there that would be awesome! Hey, you could even slip the photographer a tip and tell him to get the videographer to come to your location in a certain number of minutes, you'd have to get her to stay in one place, but that shouldn't be too hard with a great view of the ocean there! That way you'd get him to find the other guy for you.

The main problems I see are to do with the unknown factors. Is she the type who wants to be with you a lot? It might be harder than you think to arrange something in advance because you will probably not have much alone time. Or, if you're gone and she asks you where you've been, are you a good liar?? Althought the staged things with the CD might be good, it might also be hard to get with him to arrange something. You have to find the right balance of romantic vs. attention. You also have to think about whether she'd like to be proposed to in a bar (piano bar is still a bar), or onstage, or with the view of the ocean. No matter what you decide - HAVE A BACK UP PLAN!!! Let us know! Sorry for the post being so long!

As a navy brat, a man in uniform wins every time. Every cruise I've been on there have been men wearing their uniforms for formal night. I'd suggest out on deck someplace before dinner. She'll be dressed up and the pictures will be great. You can share with your friends/tablemates afterwards.

The piano bar idea is a close second.

Ok, think. Do you want to do it in a crowd, or alone. Alone, just pick the time & place. In a crowd work something out with the C/D. Be sure to let us know. Try to do it early in the cruise so she can be in 7th heaven for the rest of it. Be prepared to pay big time for the ship to shore phone call. Start the thread with, " She said yes". I won't go with the other option. Congrats, have a great cruise and MAKE SURE YOU LET US KNOW!!!!

I would propose an the last day of the cruise in case she says NO.

LOL......I just grit my teeth when I see public proposals, especially on national television. :rolleyes:

Just once I'd like the lady to say something like, "Are you out of your friggin' mind ? ? ? Not only NO, but HELL NO ! ! " :D

I am taking my girlfriend on 5/13 cruise on Holiday. I want to propose to her on the cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions on when, where, how to propose? I am in the military (Navy Seabee).

Just back from the Spirit - someone proposed on Valentine's Day - in the Dining Room - not what I would recommend ! - The Piano Man sounds like the best idea !

LOL......I just grit my teeth when I see public proposals, especially on national television. :rolleyes:

Just once I'd like the lady to say something like, "Are you out of your friggin' mind ? ? ? Not only NO, but HELL NO ! ! " :D

WEll, stuff like this does happen.

http://www.local6.com/sports/4193729/detail.html

WOW is all I can say...I never thought I would get this much feed back. This is actually my moms log on so I am not sure what cruise is listed as she is going on one is April. I am going on the holiday out of Mobile. Not the nicest ship in the fleet but the price is right for my military pay and I cant wait..............my cruise critic name is jcp0711

as for the song.....one song that is special to us is "Forever" by Ben Harper. It might sound real good in the piano bar. Right now I am leaning towards formal night but I am not sure when it is. You guys are giving me so many ideas I dont know what direction to go but I am sure I will sort it out.....anyways I do enjoy reading all these ideas so please keep them comming!!!

I hope you got your military discount when you booked! My dad is cruising wih us, and he got a great deal on a balcony!!;)

If you want to do it privately, then go to that secret place that everyone talks about, secret deck I think, which is supposed to be all way in front (titanic?) She's lucky girl. I'm going on cruise in April, wish you were proposing in mine so that my boyfriend could get the hint, lol....

Good Luck in whatever you decide and make sure you let us know!:)

Archived