Thinking of proposing on cruise!!!

what if she says no? is that possible? would kinda taint the rest of the vacation...

hear a replay on radio this morning of a DJ who proposed live to his GF on the air on VAL day she said no and left the studio in a huf....he was off the air for a couple of days according to the story. :eek:

maybe it was staged; may be an urban legend; but it IS possible.

Just off the Pride. A guy proposed to his girl in the main dining room on the last formal night. He arranged to have the head waiter introduce him on the PA system then handed him the microphone. She said yes.

On the other hand, how many women have thought, "I really want to go on this cruise. I'll break up with him when it's over"

hmmm..

How about the captains coctail party..ya know? the formal one..get all dressed up, watch the show and then take her on a stroll on the deck overlooking the water and tell her how your love for her is eternal, vast and untamed just like the sea..*or insert your own cheesy line* and hold out the ring to her and ask her if she will spend the rest of her life with you.

If she says no, you can always throw her overboard..

;)

just kidding.

I am taking my girlfriend on 5/13 cruise on Holiday. I want to propose to her on the cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions on when, where, how to propose? I am in the military (Navy Seabee).

First of all - you're in the military so I say a huge thank you for your service.

I think it is sooo sweet that you want to make your proposal special.

Here is an idea:

Look at the activities: Is there a newlywed/not so newly wed game on board? This was histerical on our cruise. Three couples were chosen: newly weds, one about 15 years married and one 50 years married. They were asked the same questions and had to share answers. The cruise director ran this. Perhaps you could catch him before the game and he can work you guys in as dating couple. Ask him to make the last question: What is one thing you would like to ask your partner? You've got the perfect question....

• 2 months later...

My girlfriend and I are going on a cruise in a few short weeks. I am going to propose to her, but I have a few questions. How do I get the ring on board past security that they do not expose it for her to see...it's a surprise? (She thinks that we are going to look at rings after the cruise.) ;)

I have thought about putting it on my little finger and keeping my hand in my pocket while boarding. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

Another question. I read somewhere that there are safe deposit boxes, besides the room safes. Is that true? If so, how do I get one? I don't want to keep the ring in the room safe for her to see it until I propose.

BTW, we will be sailing the Carnival Inspiration

At least this guy is proposing. My hubby called me on the phone (we lived 4 hours from each other) and asked me if I wanted to move to Natchez with him. I said "not if you think I'm going to just live with you." He said "no, to get married." How romantic....

I needed that laugh...all the previous posts had me teary eyed...thanks for the comic relief!!! :)

I love all these ideas...to the OP, it's going to be amazing no matter how you do it...the ocean provides all the magic you'll need. Sunset on the deck sounds really romantic to me....

A friend of mine sailed on the Sensation a few years ago with her mother and boyfriend. He proposed to her onstage during the Newlywed, Not So Newlywed Game. Arranged it through the Cruise Director. Rosie told me it was embarrassing, but she loved it. Of course she said yes. They have been married for 4 years now. However you decide to propose, I am sure your GF will be thrilled. Good luck.

Joanne :)

My girlfriend and I are going on a cruise in a few short weeks. I am going to propose to her, but I have a few questions. How do I get the ring on board past security that they do not expose it for her to see...it's a surprise? (She thinks that we are going to look at rings after the cruise.) ;)

I have thought about putting it on my little finger and keeping my hand in my pocket while boarding. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

Another question. I read somewhere that there are safe deposit boxes, besides the room safes. Is that true? If so, how do I get one? I don't want to keep the ring in the room safe for her to see it until I propose.

BTW, we will be sailing the Carnival Inspiration

Don't worry about security, they do NOT go through your stuff! Make sure though you put it in your carry on!!! And as for the safe. Do you have a small little box that you keep your own jewelry in like you cuff links, or whatever, just put the ring in there and she won't notice it. Or bring a "spare wallet" to keep your extra cash in to keep in the safe and slip the ring in the change part. You can keep the orginal box somewhere in your luggage where she won't see it. If you look secretive than she will suspect something!

I was wondering too, but then as I reread the posts I think I saw that they sail this weekend. I wish him luck!!

My DH (we are both in 40's) proposed to me on a crusie and we will be celebrating our 1st anniversary this weekend. It was so romantic, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. My suggestion to the OP or to anyone else considering a proposal is to do it on formal night, not in the dining room but on a midnight stroll under the starts and moon. Find a place quiet and do it the old fashion way .. get on your knees. This moment will be so special shared by just the two of you. You will have the rest of the cruise to celebrate with other cruise members.

Congratulations and good luck.

Just an opinion regarding wearing your formals. If you are a career serviceman you might consider saving the formal uniform for the wedding ceremony.

Make sure you come back and give us the scoop. Maybe even let the Mrs. to be write.:)

I am proposing to her in the Grand Caymans on the third night. The only thing that sucks is it is the day after formal night. But I have already planned everything and I am sure she won't be disappointed. We already have our wedding date set because we wanted to have it completely paid off and not owing any money. I just had not given her the ring yet. She thinks we are going to look at rings after the cruise. What is even funnier, she wanted to just casually look at rings the other day while in the jewelry store. She spotted and chose the exact one I have gotten her. She doesn't know that I have already gotten her one, as this is the only place I have posted about it and I have told no one. (I have a different username on here normally, but she knows it and can access it)

Good luck! Did you have any specific night in mind?

I thought about that, but I have already designed a flash web site to officially anounce our engagement and display our pics. I am going to ask someone to take our pictures as I propose. Once we get back to the ship, I am uploading them to the web site and mass emailing all family and friends, along with posting a link on the forums.

I was proposed to on the front of the ship of the Celebration this past Sunday. After formal dinner and show, he did it at the front of the ship. We were all alone somewhere between Jax and Key West. DO IT!!!:D

Nine years ago my brother in law wrote a song "Say I Do" and sang it during the talent show to my sister who was video taping the performance. She thought he was going to sing a favorite rock song. We all love to watch the video and laugh about how shaky the camera got when my sister realized what was happening! She was totally surprised! A crew member took the camera and she joined him on stage and he knelt down and pulled out the ring. We all knew back at home that he was going to do this on the cruise and it was so awesome to see the video when they got back! My kids still love to watch it today:D

I was proposed to on the front of the ship of the Celebration this past Sunday. After formal dinner and show, he did it at the front of the ship. We were all alone somewhere between Jax and Key West. DO IT!!!:D

Congratulations !!!

First of all, my family would like to say a huge Thank You for your service in the military. It is not said often enough, and we want you to know that what you are doing for us is very much appreciated. :)

I must say I do agree with the other posts of being in uniform. There is nothing better than a guy in uniform, and for a proposal ....yesssssssssss, definitely! I am surprised however that no one has asked you this question yet. Are you taking along a camcorder? There would be nothing like having that particular moment caught forever to be shared together and with family over and over again. I'm picturing formal night, at the dinner table, asking either the waiter or some tablemates sitting across from you if they will film you making a toast with your best girl beside ya, so you can both be in the shot. (After you order the champagne first, lol.) Hopefully that way she wouldn't insist on filming you herself. After the champagne is poured, tapping your spoon on the glass, and asking for everyone's attention to propose a toast. Then you stand, up, and say I would like to propose a toast, to friendship, memories to come, love, and the most beautiful woman on the ship (you take her hand, pull her to standing up with you, and when she has stood up, you get down on bended knee and say:) whom I sincerely hope will do me the precious honor of becoming my precious bride. Or whatever words you choose to use. Ohhhhhhhhhh that would be sooooooo great! That way you get to share your happiness with everybody, you have it filmed to last you a lifetime, great to watch on anniversaries, and soooo romantic:) However you decide to do it, congratulations, she has one special guy! And pray she doesn't read this board:eek: Seriously, good luck, we are sure you will find your own special way, and good luck!

My daughter was proposed to on the Holiday in 04. DH & I took our DD and her at time boyfriend on the cruise. He arranged for a professional photographer to be there at dinner when he poped the question. We have several pics of the occasion. They will celebrate their 1 yr. this July. Best wishes to you and your bride to be.

*warm fuzzies*

Travel___Man (not sure if that's the right amount of underscorage or not) - my fiance had the ring packed the night before we left, on the plane through security at the airport and into his jacket pocket and I had NO clue. We walked around all day in San Francisco and I again, had no clue -- he had it in his pocket the entire time and I didn't even pay attention to the fact that he would only let me walk on a certain side, etc. If she's not in any way expecting it, she won't be anticipating it and therefore nothing about your behavior will seem weird.

I don't think you'll have a problem with getting on the ship but I would definitely "go to the pursers desk quickly" without her to have them put it in the safe. Then the day of Cayman say you need to quickly run down and cash some traveler's checks and you'll meet her at breakfast while she finishes getting ready.

My proposal was two months ago on Monday in San Francisco at the top of Coit Tower so I am SO excited for your soon to be fiancee! It's the GREATEST feeling in the world -- I laughed AND cried AND felt some weird euphoric buzz :)

Good luck to you, Best Wishes to her!

Happy Sailing!

After reading this thread I'm all sigh-y. We're leaving next Saturday on the Legend and I would love for my boyfriend to propose to me! I've twisted his arm enough to get him to agree to look at rings in St. Thomas but I doubt anything will come of it. I'm tired of holding my breath and nothing happening lol. He'll get to it one day, but it'd be nice if it was on a cruise (I love cruising).

Good luck to both the OP and to Travel__guy! I know the OP left today so i can't wait to hear how it went!

- Jess

You better post us and tell us what she says. All of us are wanting to know if she says yes or no. You must tell us what you decided on doing and how everything went. Please keep us posted!!!

p.s I remember I guy on our cruise that went on the talent show and read a poem and then later the Cruise Director, Mark Price, from the Glory asked if there was someone special that he wrote that for. And Mark got his Girlfriend and the guy proposed on stage in the Amber Palace to everyone and it was video taped for the Cruise Memory Tape, and she said YES. Well, GOOD LUCK!!

After reading this thread I'm all sigh-y. We're leaving next Saturday on the Legend and I would love for my boyfriend to propose to me! I've twisted his arm enough to get him to agree to look at rings in St. Thomas but I doubt anything will come of it. I'm tired of holding my breath and nothing happening lol. He'll get to it one day, but it'd be nice if it was on a cruise (I love cruising).

Good luck to both the OP and to Travel__guy! I know the OP left today so i can't wait to hear how it went!

- Jess

It will happen! I feel your pain though, I remember when I first read this thread it was literally less than a month before my fiance proposed -- he already had the ring when I was reading his this thread! I had no idea he already had the ring (I know he was getting it soon) but maybe your boyfriend is throwing you off saying you'll look at rings when you get back. My fiance had me thinking it was the week after it was, so you never know!

You better post us and tell us what she says. All of us are wanting to know if she says yes or no. You must tell us what you decided on doing and how everything went. Please keep us posted!!!

p.s I remember I guy on our cruise that went on the talent show and read a poem and then later the Cruise Director, Mark Price, from the Glory asked if there was someone special that he wrote that for. And Mark got his Girlfriend and the guy proposed on stage in the Amber Palace to everyone and it was video taped for the Cruise Memory Tape, and she said YES. Well, GOOD LUCK!!

Awww!

And I too want to know what you did and how you did it OP AND travel___man!

Archived