Review of the Sovereign

First of all, let me say that I think the captain and his immediate staff are the greatest. He changed our itinerary so that we would not miss CocoCay and flip flopped it with our day at sea which gave us an extra night at Nassau. This enabled us to get to warm weather sooner since it was in the 40's when we embarked. The crew also pointed out a whale and propoises along the ship.

We were fortunate to see the inaugration of the new governor and parliament of Nassau. The ladies were all dressed in nice suits and hats-the police in full honor gear. The city was immaculate.

Now the ship. We had a superior ocean view which was fine once the beds were separated. However, the drawers stuck which gave me a few extra muscles trying to open them. I heard of at least 4 cabins (3 0n deck 2) which had water backing up from the shower or commodes.

Service, for the most part, was very good. However, the drink machines kept breaking, along with the ice machines. One morning I asked a dining room attendant (Windjammer) if she could get me some ice tea since the machines were broken. Her reply was, "no drink ice tea in the morning, drink juice." We thought it was funny but some could construe it as being rude.

There was not much "chemistry" between our dining partners & us so we only ate there once. We did tip the waiter the full amount tho because it was not his fault.

We met some great people and had a wonderful time but have decided to go back to the bigger ships. Oh, Chris Aramis(sp?) was great.

Note for anyone flying home from Orlando on a Sat. It was awful. It took us 95 minutes to get through curb side check in,security, and to our plane just as it was boarding.. The security guard told us she has seen it a lot worse. :eek:

I will be glad to answer any questions. Oh, no sign of chair hogs or bed bugs,

We'll be on her April 28th. Your captain was Capt Brearly? Did you have a formal night and what was on the menu for the main dining room (if you remember!). We love the main dining room experience, is it 2 story? Were your waiter and assistand waiter appropriately attentive to your requests? I've never eaten in Windjammer for dinner, what do they have (I know its the same every night). I see on Dry Dock: A Cruise ship reborn that there's a Boleros. Was it a busy place? What deck were you on. How did you get from MCO to Pt Canaveral. What is curb side check in? I know, I've too many questions that will bring back your memories and make you go through withdrawl even worse! Sorry

I will try to answer your questions. Formal night was the second night and the only night we ate in the dining room. We did not want to miss the GREAT sail away party first night. There are 2 dining rooms so I don't know about the other room. I don't think it was 2 story but we were over to a side and did not see everything. Our service there was not the greatest because, after several miinutes, my husband had to go get the bartender himself (he was in alcohol withdrawl) and also the waiter kept forgetting me (guess he did not like my outfit). However, everyone else we talked to had great service. There was no lobster on formal night just lobster bisque. There was steak, which was very good, some kind of chicken, pasta and salmon which my husband said was good. We, too, like the formal dining experience. It did not work out for us this time.

Aactually, I thought the Windjammer was very good. It had different stations and the main entree was the same that was served in the dining room. A lot of food repeated every night but there is so much, I could change food every night since there were only 3. We met great friends there and were welcomed back by name by the maitre d'(sp). I think I did say i still tipped the dining room staff which a lot of people do not.

Boleros was crowded when we were there but you could still move. We were on Deck 9 and glad we had the bigger ocean view. Wish we had a balcony but it worked out because the first 2 night were too cold for anything outside. By the way, the forecast was exactly right for that week.

Curbside check in is where you can check your bags outside the terminal door & usually goes faster. Some airports (MCO is one) charge $2 a bag but it is worth it. We took RCI transportation but have heard great things about Art's transportation.

The entertainment was excellent, especially the comedian. You will have a great cruise if you can laugh at the problems of the older ship as we did. Feel free to ask anything else. Ginny

We'll be on her April 28th. Your captain was Capt Brearly? Did you have a formal night and what was on the menu for the main dining room (if you remember!). We love the main dining room experience, is it 2 story? Were your waiter and assistand waiter appropriately attentive to your requests? I've never eaten in Windjammer for dinner, what do they have (I know its the same every night). I see on Dry Dock: A Cruise ship reborn that there's a Boleros. Was it a busy place? What deck were you on. How did you get from MCO to Pt Canaveral. What is curb side check in? I know, I've too many questions that will bring back your memories and make you go through withdrawl even worse! Sorry
HHHMMM........Ginny hasn't come back, so I'll jump in.

Yes, there is a formal night on the three night. It's the 2nd night.

Two story dining room - more or less. It's two completely separate dining rooms, on two different decks - no staircase or connection as there is on Voyager class.

Boleros is busy and fun and the location of several regular activities, including some of the art auction, karaoke, salsa dancing, and dueling pianos. :D

Curb-side check in is when a porter is waiting on the curb and he can take your bags and check them in to your flight, so you just walk into the airport alone without your bags, knowing that they will be on your flight.

And Orlando airport is OFTEN that bad. It's just a very busy place, and no matter how many security lines they have open, it takes quite a while.

At least she didn't have her bag pulled for a random security check, as I did! I was in tears by the time it was over, because of the unbelievable mess they made of all my carefully packed things.

And Orlando airport is OFTEN that bad. It's just a very busy place, and no matter how many security lines they have open, it takes quite a while.

At least she didn't have her bag pulled for a random security check, as I did! I was in tears by the time it was over, because of the unbelievable mess they made of all my carefully packed things.

When we flew home from MCO in January, there was a line to get into the security line.... I've never seen so many people waiting to get through security!

Carol, I have been choosen for "Selective Screening" at least 8 times in the past year! I understand your frustration... I've told my friends that I must have ended up on the "fun to frisk" list I've decided the TA's must keep. :rolleyes:

We went to Hawaii right after a limit was placed on the number of lighters you can carry-now you can not take any. I was carrying too many for my husband and got put to the side with the "bad" people. I too was checked "very thoroughly" and my personals, in my carry on were put on public display so I understand. We did have our checked luggage searched this time, because we had a TSA sticker on it. It was on our way home so they got to go through our dirty clothes YUK.

When we flew home from MCO in January, there was a line to get into the security line.... I've never seen so many people waiting to get through security!

Carol, I have been choosen for "Selective Screening" at least 8 times in the past year! I understand your frustration... I've told my friends that I must have ended up on the "fun to frisk" list I've decided the TA's must keep. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have minded being FRISKED. It was EVERYTHING I had with me being STREWN all across a large table that had me so upset. They even took every cotton ball and every friggin' Q-tip out of their little bag!

And Ginny, that massive line to get INTO the security line - standard at MCO.

Carol, you would have not liked being frisked by the BIG manly woman who frisked me with all our friends walking back to watch. MCO needs to do something if it is always like that. We were through everything at Chicago O'hare in 20 minutes. PS Dueling pianos were a man & woman. Did not see them -past my bed time since there was nothing or no one special I had to see but I heard they were great.

Also forgot to add that during this I was guarded be an armed Reservist since it was 5 months after 9/11. You missed that pleasure Carol. Another good thing about curb side check in at MCO, it was so crowded that they did not bother to weigh our luggage, which was a DEFINITE plus for me. I had my $25 over the limit fee ready.

I get large size zip lock baggies and put all my clothes into bags and squeeze the air out..it makes more room in suitcase, less wrinkles AND..if they open my suitcase they are not handling my personal belongings with their hands (UGH!) I have had my suitcase opened but they have never opened the zip lock baggies..everything stays in tact and it doesn't get all messed up. It keeps everything from being strewn all over the tables for everyone to gawk at!

I am happy for you that they didn't open your individual bags, cruz1234, but THEY DID OPEN MINE. Every little bag.......every cotton ball and q-tip, every bandaid and suntan lotion, EVERYTHING was removed from its bag and LEFT on the table. Every nightie, every pair of underwear, every sock and bra. EVERYTHING.

You actually took nighties on that trip Carol?:D I invested in the expensive travel bags. My clothes are too big for zip loc bags.

rotfl at cruisin granny. My thoughts exactly, but Carol, I haven't heard anymore lately after your last trip on Sovereign, is there still a flame burning?

BTW cruisin granny, was Capt Brearley still master? If not who was your captain? Of course, I'll find out for myself in 66 days!

rotfl at cruisin granny. My thoughts exactly, but Carol, I haven't heard anymore lately after your last trip on Sovereign, is there still a flame burning?

BTW cruisin granny, was Capt Brearley still master? If not who was your captain? Of course, I'll find out for myself in 66 days!

I am embarassed to say that I don't remember the captain's name (senior moment) but I think that was it. Maybe Carol can help if she comes back. My husband threw away our papers the last day. We missed the reception because as usual we were talking and lost track of the time. In fact, that happened to us a lot those 4 days. Even tho the ship had a few problems, we probably had our best time ever with other people on the ship. You sound like someone who can go with the flow and have a great time.

If the captain made any announcements, Ginny, you'd remember whether or not it was Captain Brearley. He is Canadian, and you would be able to understand every word he said. If a Scandinavian captain had taken over, you'd probably be scratching your head and wondering, "What did he say?"

Since most of the captains have tended to be Scandinavian in origin, a Canadian just "stands out."

He requested that he not be discussed on internet message boards.

Just a remark about iced tea after 17 RCI cruises since 1987. RCI does not know iced tea in the morning in the Windjammer. I like iced tea for every meal and the folks in the Windjammer generally look at you like "What?"

I did have one young man try his best and brought some hot tea he had made in a glass with a lot of ice cubes. He got a good tip for his efforts even if it didn't turn out very good.

They will get you iced tea in the dining room for breakfast, but they look at you a little strangely (they don't say anything out loud, but it's obvious what they're thinking). It just takes a long time.

So, I know what you mean about iced tea in the morning.

Cabin 9068. You will be so happy you got an oceanview on deck 9. The showers are larger but do have attacking shower curtains plus the cabins are a little larger. If you have them put the beds apart you will have a lot more room. After 36 years of marriage, we felt we could sleep apart for 4 days. Better than me climbing over DH when I got up during the night. Also I did not hear of any plumbing problems there.

Yes, there is a fairly large lock box which uses a key in the closet. We forgot to lock it a couple times and everything was fine.

Check your drawers right away. If they stick, ask your steward to fix them before unpacking. Our steward was Clark(who was wonderful) and he said he would have our stubborn drawers fixed but never did. We decided he was too embarassed to touch my "unmentionables'. It worked out fine because I could start the day with a few expletives which put me in a good frame of mind.

Yes, Carol, the captain was easy to understand.

Archived