Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

I agree about having a conversation with the hotel director about anything that is not to your liking,  instead of stewing about it.  If enough people make them aware of your concerns, they may add a few more choices to Windows menu or whatever.  The staff on Azamara so aims to please, they would want to know your concerns.  

Thanks for all the comments, good and bad.  Please keep us all informed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I suggest you seek out the Hotel Director and give her your views on the limitations of the catering.  Windows evening menu did have a choice in September so you might want to ascertain why its been reduced as I can see how that would limit its appeal for some.  

Is there still a full room service menu as their burgers are so good it makes a lovely meal on the balcony of an evening, then we go back out round and enjoy the bars or a show

As I don’t eat beef or pork, having only one entree option would likely be really limiting for me. Fortunately, I am in general pretty happy with the MDR.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

I agree about having a conversation with the hotel director about anything that is not to your liking,  instead of stewing about it.  If enough people make them aware of your concerns, they may add a few more choices to Windows menu or whatever.  The staff on Azamara so aims to please, they would want to know your concerns.  

Thanks for all the comments, good and bad.  Please keep us all informed.

I tried to have a conversation about the return of the Windows evening buffet with a woman who I believe is one of the Windows managers when I was on the Quest in October.  She was very dismissive and when I asked if I could at least give my opinion, she said - and I quote - "your opinion doesn't matter, it's been decided".  I don't even know what she meant by that - decided for the remainder of the cruise or permanently ?- but we were so stunned by her that we just walked away.  I wish I had taken it to the Hotel Manager while onboard but didn't.

I've since sent an email to AZ loyalty, mostly to learn the future of the eve buffet, but no reply. Too bad there isn't a way to contact management directly by email, post cruise.

It was so contrary to any experience I've ever had with ANY staff aboard and doesn't change my high opinion of AZ, but was still unfortunate. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

I tried to have a conversation about the return of the Windows evening buffet with a woman who I believe is one of the Windows managers when I was on the Quest in October.  She was very dismissive and when I asked if I could at least give my opinion, she said - and I quote - "your opinion doesn't matter, it's been decided".  I don't even know what she meant by that - decided for the remainder of the cruise or permanently ?- but we were so stunned by her that we just walked away.  I wish I had taken it to the Hotel Manager while onboard but didn't.

I've since sent an email to AZ loyalty, mostly to learn the future of the eve buffet, but no reply. Too bad there isn't a way to contact management directly by email, post cruise.

It was so contrary to any experience I've ever had with ANY staff aboard and doesn't change my high opinion of AZ, but was still unfortunate. 

wow that is shocking,  Trying to work out who it could have been but not what I would expect onboard

I couldn't readily read her name tag.  I can give a pretty accurate description, but prefer not to publish that here.  I'm not trying to shame anyone.  I suspect she was either having a bad day,  but if this is her typical personality, I think management will become aware of it soon enough!

11 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

I couldn't readily read her name tag.  I can give a pretty accurate description, but prefer not to publish that here.  I'm not trying to shame anyone.  I suspect she was either having a bad day,  but if this is her typical personality, I think management will become aware of it soon enough!

Just a suggestion:  Ask to meet with the Hotel Director and share the information you have.  You will be helping all future cruiser enjoy their Azamara experience. The sooner management is aware of a problem, the sooner they can addresses it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

We don't drink so cannot seek solace in Fever Tree + whatever.  From what our fellow table-mates tell us, the included wines are drinkable.

I can’t seek solace in Fever Tree either, they have none left!

The wines (red at least) are drinkable.

• Like 3

Regarding the Chef's Table, can anyone share how that works.   For example, what are the kinds?  (e.g. French, Italian, Indonesian, Canadian :-) ).    And also I am interested if they have one everyday or does it seem random?   What time of the evening is it (not that this matters, just curious!....would probably end up going straight to sleep anyway after all the wine pairings!)   

The Canadian reference was just a tease since we are obviously from Canada; but the Indonesian was very serious because on prior Azamara cruises in the far east they offered Indonesian rijstafel specialty dinners and they were wonderful ...perhaps not for the Chef's Table but perhaps they might schedule one or two.  I will ask!

We are planning forward......

Appreciate any Chef's Table info!

Edited by JandMinToronto
More robust post!

A separate thought: since there is likely no Cruisecritic gathering to say hello and meet, how would we recognize each other ....maybe we should have name badges!   Hello my name is JandMinToronto!

Edited by JandMinToronto
Fix typo

3 minutes ago, norn iron said:

So, I checked Windows Cafe tonight and it was Taste of Britain night.

I am pleased to confirm that there were 3 starters, one soup, four main courses and three deserts.

We ate in MDR and there were no complaints.

Thats identical to the menu structure in September,

Thanks for checking out for everyone.  Glad the MDR continues to delight

• Like 3

On a further note, we completed the mid cruise survey today and the one issue I raised was addressed within two hours when a senior officer came to our table during dinner tonight to discuss the issue.

I’m not sure it’s resolved, however I was impressed that they responded so quickly and sought me out within two hours of submitting.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, norn iron said:

I am pleased to confirm that there were 3 starters, one soup, four main courses and three deserts.

Thanks!  That sounds better than just one choice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, norn iron said:

On a further note, we completed the mid cruise survey today and the one issue I raised was addressed within two hours when a senior officer came to our table during dinner tonight to discuss the issue.

I’m not sure it’s resolved, however I was impressed that they responded so quickly and sought me out within two hours of submitting.

This is the kind of Azamara attitude and response that we know and love.  It has always been top down. 

As one crew member explained to me many years ago, "When you are happy with my service, I know that I've done everything I can to want you to sail with Azamara again. This means that I will have a good  job that helps my children in the Philippines continue their education."

• Like 12

2 hours ago, norn iron said:

Wondering how one person sees "no choice" and another sees three or four choices available on three of the four courses.  Parallel universes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JandMinToronto said:

Regarding the Chef's Table, can anyone share how that works.   For example, what are the kinds?  (e.g. French, Italian, Indonesian, Canadian 🙂 ).    And also I am interested if they have one everyday or does it seem random?   What time of the evening is it (not that this matters, just curious!....would probably end up going straight to sleep anyway after all the wine pairings!)   

The Canadian reference was just a tease since we are obviously from Canada; but the Indonesian was very serious because on prior Azamara cruises in the far east they offered Indonesian rijstafel specialty dinners and they were wonderful ...perhaps not for the Chef's Table but perhaps they might schedule one or two.  I will ask!

We are planning forward......

Appreciate any Chef's Table info!

On Quest, we’ve had French and Italian, just one of each on each cruise.  There was a special Explorer dinner centered around Marco Polo’s explorations when we were in Italy, and also a seafood extravaganza that has been offered once at dinner and twice at lunch.

The chef’s tables have been starting at 7pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Wondering how one person sees "no choice" and another sees three or four choices available on three of the four courses.  Parallel universes?

Different menus, different nights, responding to complaints, onboard clientele nationalities (you know who you are): lots of explanations if one is objective.

Bring back the Patio + Windows, throw in some nightly theme specials if you want.  Follow along with what other (and there ARE other, believe it or not) premium+ cruise lines do. 

17 hours ago, laurieb said:

The music played is not what we like to dance to.  We like more current dance music; Latin dancing, though beautiful is not something I imagine most of us can do.  We’ve made song requests with the band and they don’t know the song. DJ will play two requests that have people up and dancing and then start playing music that clears the floor, with the more current dance music not to be heard again.

I love dancing post dinner but do you have to wear masks whilst on the dance floor? If so will need to get a few sparkly numbers!😉

• Like 1

On Journey right now and the Patio change was a change from our first sailing two weeks ago. We thought the change on this ship might be due to low passenger count of 107. I agree with Ross in that we generally alternate between the Patio and the MDR for dinner so it feels in some ways like assigned seating of the past. With 18 cruises with Azamara  we feel the food has never been been  better.  Hopefully increase in passenger count will rectify these temporary changes.     

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, gymfreak said:

I love dancing post dinner but do you have to wear masks whilst on the dance floor? If so will need to get a few sparkly numbers!😉

You did in September and I would not have thought that rule had been relaxed given where they are at on other measures.  Sparkly ones are good standbys.  I’ve a few given the tighter mask wearing rules that still thankfully apply in Scotland.  I wear them whenever we go out of an evening.  Sadly the what I thought were one of purchases last year (sparkly Santa and glittery Rudolph) will have to reappear soon.  Glad I don’t throw things out!

• Like 5

The Windows cafe menus were much the same number of choices when we were aboard until 4 November. I know that the MDR was distinctly empty on the night of the Japanese offerings in the Windows cafe!. 

I would have thought it a tad chilly to dine in the Patio of an evening at the moment - and indeed we had some rough weather when we were unable to go on deck in any location. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, laurieb said:

On Quest, we’ve had French and Italian, just one of each on each cruise.  There was a special Explorer dinner centered around Marco Polo’s explorations when we were in Italy, and also a seafood extravaganza that has been offered once at dinner and twice at lunch.

The chef’s tables have been starting at 7pm

Thank you for the info.  We're on the upcoming Transatlantic and they list the Chef's Table for $250 pp for 3 evening meals.  Thinking that might be a place to spend OBC, assuming that's possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JandMinToronto said:

Thank you for the info.  We're on the upcoming Transatlantic and they list the Chef's Table for $250 pp for 3 evening meals.  Thinking that might be a place to spend OBC, assuming that's possible.

$250 pp?  That seems pretty expensive, even for three meals! $84 up-charge per person, per meal?  I certainly hope that includes some incredibly amazing wine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

$250 pp?  That seems pretty expensive, even for three meals! $84 up-charge per person, per meal?  I certainly hope that includes some incredibly amazing wine.

I think that when you buy individually it’s $95 pp (and worth every penny).

• Like 3