Azamara Quest - Mediterranean Cities, October 28-November 4 2021

Bimmer09

2 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Sorry- I got my intel from a Youtube video called "Why no U.S airlines use Airbus planes". Thanks for the correction!

Norris

Aha!  That jogs my memory that there was video called "Why no U.S. airlines use the Airbus A380".  So you are, in that sense, quite correct.  Carry on, m'lud. 

• Like 1

Hola,

Still here following you and Carol around Barca to Dublin. Thanks for the very interesting travelogue and photos. The Stephen’s Green  photos were a trip down Georgian Dublin’s  memory lane, I worked there back in the 70s and walked by your hotel every day. The Shelbourne hotel is a Dublin landmark  and a much favoured watering hole for rugby and Dublin Horse Show visitors, within walking distance of both venues, a great choice. 
I agree with Fairgarth regarding Airbus, you will most likely see more  US Airbus A350s on transatlantic routes soon!  We were impressed with your  Aer Lingus experience and worth considering for  US North Atlantic routes via Dublin. Did you notice how much quieter the Airbus A320 cabin was?

Another oldie..we listened to Paul Brady singing The Island last night ☘️
Cordialement. 

• Like 1

Norris once again an award winning GSJ.  I particularly liked the pictures of La Sagrada Familia as I never tire of seeing it.

Carol needs to retire so you can up your cruise game.  I'm thinking 10 weeks of cruising per year and 30 weeks of reviews for your rabid fans (read enthusiastic NOT foaming at the mouth - although some might be).  Then 12 weeks of for good beh.. um err, to chase opera around Europe or some such.

Robert

one of the enthusiasts 

😂😁🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Belfastman said:

Thanks for a very enjoyable read. It is refreshing to get a nice unbiased view of your cruise and travels to and from it. Your photographs were great and in their own way informative.

Roll on the next one perhaps one day our paths may cross.

Thank you sir for reading it and for the compliments on the photos! I take enough of them to piece together what I did on a particular day. This time I took less gear than normal. Here was my set up on the Journey as we prepared to leave Miami bound for Havana (plus 3 extra lenses not shown)

46865230652_70d31287f0_b.thumb.jpg.2c8aca1de8ad68e0cce55b9846b03321.jpg

Next, unless we add something as yet unknown, is Sapphire Princess Alaska CruiseTour May 21 2023

Thanks again, Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
spelling
  • Like 1

Norris

The excitement you convey from your travels is infectious and the joy in your writing is obvious - thank you for sharing this wonderful trip with all of us.

I think Azamara Loyalty department should offer you a regular column in their Azamara Circle Newsletter. Think of what you could do with say 'Rome with Norris and Carol or ' Highlights of Prime C' .

A new ship in the fleet provides more opportunities to show Azamara at its very best.

Until the next time...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peyroutous said:

Hola,

Still here following you and Carol around Barca to Dublin. Thanks for the very interesting travelogue and photos. The Stephen’s Green  photos were a trip down Georgian Dublin’s  memory lane, I worked there back in the 70s and walked by your hotel every day. The Shelbourne hotel is a Dublin landmark  and a much favoured watering hole for rugby and Dublin Horse Show visitors, within walking distance of both venues, a great choice. 
I agree with Fairgarth regarding Airbus, you will most likely see more  US Airbus A350s on transatlantic routes soon!  We were impressed with your  Aer Lingus experience and worth considering for  US North Atlantic routes via Dublin. Did you notice how much quieter the Airbus A320 cabin was?

Another oldie..we listened to Paul Brady singing The Island last night ☘️
Cordialement. 

Hi, I used Bose Noise Canceling headphones on the Boeing 777 and didn't even think to reach for them on the Airbus 330-300, so yes indeed quieter. I tried to sleep with the bed flat on the Boeing but the footwell was very narrow and it was uncomfortable. On the Airbus I couldn't use all the leg room. Good design.

I forgot to mention that the 16 inch Panasonic tv on the Airbus was touch sensitive or you could use the remote. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this as it unfolded!

Norris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserRob said:

Norris once again an award winning GSJ.  I particularly liked the pictures of La Sagrada Familia as I never tire of seeing it.

Carol needs to retire so you can up your cruise game.  I'm thinking 10 weeks of cruising per year and 30 weeks of reviews for your rabid fans (read enthusiastic NOT foaming at the mouth - although some might be).  Then 12 weeks of for good beh.. um err, to chase opera around Europe or some such.

Robert

one of the enthusiasts 

😂😁🤣

Rob, thanks as always for finding my GSJ. This was number 17 I think not counting the Princess-Celebrity comparison. 

We would I am sure love to cruise more and take advantage of any "fire sale, last minute fares" but...now's maybe not the time.

I get Celebrity, Princess, HAL and Seabourn emails several times a week. X is maybe 4 a week but I have no interest in the Edge class, nor the S class if there's no Lawn Club Grill. There are some lines where the only way I would be on one of their ships is if I was in a tavern, awash in cheap grog and the press gang hauled me off.

We'll never be any lines Most Traveled Passengers.

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Norris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Laganlady02 said:

Norris

The excitement you convey from your travels is infectious and the joy in your writing is obvious - thank you for sharing this wonderful trip with all of us.

I think Azamara Loyalty department should offer you a regular column in their Azamara Circle Newsletter. Think of what you could do with say 'Rome with Norris and Carol or ' Highlights of Prime C' .

A new ship in the fleet provides more opportunities to show Azamara at its very best.

Until the next time...

Thanks for your kind observations re the writing. I write epic emails to some friends and get a chuckle from them. I always include photos too. "A picture's worth a thousand words"...

A new ship, purpose built would be a shot in the arm for Azamara and I hope it transpires. I still have some thoughts to write on my experience on the Quest. Neither of us gave them all fives in the post cruise survey and I noticed some things on board that had me raising my eyebrows and scratching my head.

I'll explain why, unlike when we were in Cuba, we didn't book another cruise while on board.

Having said that, we look forward to our next Azamara cruise, whenever that might be.

Thanks for reading along!

Norris

• Like 2

Thank you, Norris, for your great photos and commentary. Your posts made me feel as if I was on the ship and visiting the ports. I saw some familiar places from our previous travels and one special place we missed. I'd booked a private tour to Montserrat at the end of our Sept 2020 cruise, which was of course cancelled. After seeing your pictures, I'll make sure I get there. Your photos made Sagrada Familia more magical than when we were last there in person, but that was on a cloudy day.  I hope to cross paths with you and Carol on a cruise one  day and will check out your reviews of earlier cruises. 

Happy travels,

Maya

• Like 1

Norris, like so many others I have enjoyed your GSJ.  You have inspired me to make greater use of long layovers.  When researching flights I see a 18 or 20 hour layover and think, "no way I will be trapped in the airport that long!"  Leaving the airport has seemed like a bother -- security again! -- but your idyllic evening in Dublin makes it seem worth getting out even for just a night.

I must say Carol looked really happy "working her massage chair."  😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maya_C said:

Thank you, Norris, for your great photos and commentary. Your posts made me feel as if I was on the ship and visiting the ports. I saw some familiar places from our previous travels and one special place we missed. I'd booked a private tour to Montserrat at the end of our Sept 2020 cruise, which was of course cancelled. After seeing your pictures, I'll make sure I get there. Your photos made Sagrada Familia more magical than when we were last there in person, but that was on a cloudy day.  I hope to cross paths with you and Carol on a cruise one  day and will check out your reviews of earlier cruises. 

Happy travels,

Maya

Maya, thanks for reading along and for the kind compliments.

Here's a list of all my reviews except the 3 in my signature below. They are good for dreary winter afternoon reading. A glass of wine doesn't hurt either!

Norris

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D9lM64PLGpfGZcd8lirSL9ps3I4QB0__-mYm7AhkgUI/edit

2 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Norris, like so many others I have enjoyed your GSJ.  You have inspired me to make greater use of long layovers.  When researching flights I see a 18 or 20 hour layover and think, "no way I will be trapped in the airport that long!"  Leaving the airport has seemed like a bother -- security again! -- but your idyllic evening in Dublin makes it seem worth getting out even for just a night.

I must say Carol looked really happy "working her massage chair."  😃

The massaging chair was an unexpected bonus! Pretty nifty.

Glad you enjoyed the read!

Norris

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

As currently planned that will be in May 2023. But who knows.....

Norris and Carol: thank you for these long reports of joyful travels... 17 months without these reports will be too much... Hopefully, the call of the sea will tempt you before long. 

7 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Hi, I used Bose Noise Canceling headphones on the Boeing 777 and didn't even think to reach for them on the Airbus 330-300, so yes indeed quieter. I tried to sleep with the bed flat on the Boeing but the footwell was very narrow and it was uncomfortable. On the Airbus I couldn't use all the leg room. Good design.

I forgot to mention that the 16 inch Panasonic tv on the Airbus was touch sensitive or you could use the remote. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this as it unfolded!

Norris

Thanks again for a great review. 🤩

I can attest to the quietness of the Airbus . . . on our first flight Peter asked "I wonder how long it will be before we take off" . . . I replied "look out the window, we are up already"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks so much for your detailed travelogue. Have enjoyed immensely!

Thank you. Glad to have you along for this and thanks for your many comments!

Norris

• Like 1

I've thoroughly enjoyed your travelogue as well having followed via the Princess forum.

Mrs SoCal and my last cruise (harks back to a simpler, pre-Pandemic time) was aboard Pacific Princess and a more than pleasant jaunt around the Norwegian Fjords and Iceland (makes mental note to return to both). We'd never sailed on a R-Class ship before and while we consider ourselves reasonably independent travellers - as independent as cruisers are - we were worried we wouldn't have enough to do on the numerous sea days... Absolutely loved it, a good book, several GBs of music and loads of peace and quiet. So that even though we're very much Princess loyalist (nights mean Free Interweb minut... whoops) we were and are seriously considering a change.

I looked at Oceania but tbh I'm not sure we fit with the Oceania demographic. Viking does appeal and their forum does seem to be inhabited by vaguely normal people. Tbh I'd never considered Azamara until the Pacific was sold to the line. But the itineraries look intriguing (we're the sort of people who'll take a Sydney- Auckland cruise as a - well yes an excuse to see parts of NZ - means to cross the Tasman to then spend 2 weeks travelling around the North Island. Plus Sydney - got to be one of our favourite cities) and again the forum seems filled with well-rounded folks - like yourself and better-half 🙂 - and your description and pics onboard Quest suggest we'd more than find a home...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritinSoCal said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed your travelogue as well having followed via the Princess forum.

I looked at Oceania but tbh I'm not sure we fit with the Oceania demographic. Viking does appeal and their forum does seem to be inhabited by vaguely normal people. Tbh I'd never considered Azamara until the Pacific was sold to the line. But the itineraries look intriguing (we're the sort of people who'll take a Sydney- Auckland cruise as a - well yes an excuse to see parts of NZ - means to cross the Tasman to then spend 2 weeks travelling around the North Island. Plus Sydney - got to be one of our favourite cities) and again the forum seems filled with well-rounded folks - like yourself and better-half 🙂 - and your description and pics onboard Quest suggest we'd more than find a home...

Hi and thanks for having read read my journal.

If you've seen my list of all the cruises we have taken you'll see Princess  predominates and our next booked sailing is with Princess. They are our mid size ship go-to. No waterparks, go-karts etc and not a big draw for families with kids. Azamara gives us the small ship option with overnights and country-intensive itineraries and as you found on Pacific Princess/Azamara Onward, peace and quiet. Very good food and service and unusual events that all the passengers can enjoy like the Azamazing Evenings and White Night, which have been impacted by Covid, hopefully just temporarily.

Viking has an advantage with new custom-built ships vs the 20 year old R Class but the interiors of the Az ships don't look worn. Oceania has some R ships and custom built ships but they turn me off with their pricing strategy- Brochure price (a fantasy) then 50% off. 

We have a lot of choices for sure. For us Azamara is a good one. We've had maybe our best cruise on the Journey but Cuba takes much credit in that and one good cruise on Quest under less than ideal circumstances.

We look forward to our next is our bottom line despite my criticisms and observations.

I hope you and your wife decide to sail Azamara.

Norris

Another thread well done sir ! I'm always thrilled to see a different place and a different cruise line through the eyes of another dedicated photographer .

We're 4 weeks out from a Southern Caribbean trip on HAL . Our next international cruise will be on a new line and a new ship the Silversea Silver Moon . It's a Northern Europe and British Isle trip that finishes in Iceland . We hope to spend 10 days there before returning to Southampton . From there the Sky Princess goes to the Midnight sun cruise in Norway . We're excited to be back cruising again .

Joe and Pat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Another thread well done sir ! I'm always thrilled to see a different place and a different cruise line through the eyes of another dedicated photographer .

We're 4 weeks out from a Southern Caribbean trip on HAL . Our next international cruise will be on a new line and a new ship the Silversea Silver Moon . It's a Northern Europe and British Isle trip that finishes in Iceland . We hope to spend 10 days there before returning to Southampton . From there the Sky Princess goes to the Midnight sun cruise in Norway . We're excited to be back cruising again .

Joe and Pat

Wow! Joe, you two are really going all out on your cruises! HAL , Silver Moon and the Sky Princess?!

Iceland is a photographer's dream so I will be following along to see the shots you'll get. I love the Southern Caribbean-is Bonaire included?

Midnight Sun another fabulous itinerary! 

Despite our setbacks we loved being back on a ship, seeing the world again.

You have a great plan for 2022 and I'll have 3 great reviews to savor!

Cheers!

Norris

I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog so a big thank you.  It’s been great to catch up on your adventures every few days.  Particularly loved your photos of Montserrat and Sagrada.  Seeing the sunlight through the stained glass windows is always a wow moment.  

Fabulous, thanks so much. 

1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:

Wow! Joe, you two are really going all out on your cruises! HAL , Silver Moon and the Sky Princess?!

Iceland is a photographer's dream so I will be following along to see the shots you'll get. I love the Southern Caribbean-is Bonaire included?

Midnight Sun another fabulous itinerary! 

Despite our setbacks we loved being back on a ship, seeing the world again.

You have a great plan for 2022 and I'll have 3 great reviews to savor!

Cheers!

Norris

Unfortunately Bonaire is not on this trip . As divers it is our favorite of the ABC's . We do have Aruba , Curacao , Dominican Republic , Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay ( Bahamas) . Cheers Norris !

• Like 1