Huatulco Mexico

MimiMomma

We were there for three nights pre covid.  The town in quaint but nothing special.  About 2 miles from the dock area.

We arranged a day out on a boat with a local. Arranged it in town but you can do it at the dock. We wanted a small boat, just  4 of us.   There are some larger boats at the dock that were doing tourist cruises.

We cut our visit short and moved up the coast to Zihuatanejo.

Huatulco's port is really a perfect scenario for folks that just want a lazy beach day with a nice Mexican lunch.  As you look inland there is a decent sandy beach just off to the left (a short walk) which is lined with several restaurants that offer/rent beach loungers.  These restaurants all offer full service lunch and drink service.  The actual price you pay for loungers/umbrellas are like most things in Mexico in that they are negotiable.  But Mexican business folks see cruisers as easy marks so they will want you to pay something like $20- $30 (US) just to rent a couple of loungers and beach umbrella.  If you want to play the game just smile and walk along the beach towards the next place.  Once you find a restaurant where you like the menu/prices then try to negotiate a lower price for the loungers by using the fact that you will stay for hours, buy drinks, and lunch.   Funny story is when I did this with one of the restaurants he tried to con me with a lousy exchange rate.  I just looked at him and said, "I live in Puerto Vallarta and I can pay in Pesos."  I then told him we would take two loungers for Free..but would buy plenty of beer and a nice lunch.  He quickly agreed but ask us not to tell anyone else we were not paying for our loungers :).

If you want to go inland and explore the town you will need to hire a taxi.  Anytime you deal with Mexican taxis make sure to agree on a price before you get in the cab and remember to specify if you want to pay in US Dollars.  

Hank

I agree a nice day sail through the beautiful bays with a stop at one or two of the nicest beaches is the ideal day here. Very reasonable for a private sail. Friends still rave about Luna Azul. We were not able to book her while staying in Huatulco but plan to next visit -
https://www.facebook.com/velerolunaazul

Look at this thread for other sailing options -

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150789-i740-k9458254-Huatulco_s_Captains_and_Their_Boats-Huatulco_Southern_Mexico.html

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:58 AM, blue_water said:

I agree a nice day sail through the beautiful bays with a stop at one or two of the nicest beaches is the ideal day here. Very reasonable for a private sail. Friends still rave about Luna Azul. We were not able to book her while staying in Huatulco but plan to next visit -
https://www.facebook.com/velerolunaazul

Look at this thread for other sailing options -

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150789-i740-k9458254-Huatulco_s_Captains_and_Their_Boats-Huatulco_Southern_Mexico.html

We did something like this.  On our return the operator asked if we wanted to stop at that beach bar near the dock.....he had four resounding no thanks.  We stopped at a few beaches that were deserted and only saw one large party boat that we were so glad that we did not bother with.

Cannot remember what we paid (two couples) but it was very reasonable for the great day out that we enjoyed.  Lunch and drinks were provided.   We also had the option of fishing if we so wished..all the gear was on board.

We were on a land trip.  We expected to spend more time in Huatulco.   Instead, we departed early in favor of spending  more time than we thought we would further up the coast in Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, and Zi.

Edited by iancal

• 4 weeks later...

We went on a half day sail boat excursion. We might have booked through the cruise line but I don’t remember. The sail was a wonderful way to spend the day.

There’s a small town to walk around. The people were very friendly and welcoming. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, scottca075 said:

Huatulco is not a small town. There is a small area by the dock, but that isn't the town.

It's really not that far to walk up over the hill into the heart of La Crucecita which is pleasant for a short visit.  The market, square and church are all pretty nice.  Good options for food if you look places up on the web.  The walk from the pier to the center is probably 20-30 minutes tops via the dedicated walkway and the views are nice.  For those interested, I would recommend walking up into town and talking a cab back.  Last time I was there basic cab rides were no more than 50 pesos. 

For those interested in a day pass, the Hotel Quinta Bella is nice from my perspective.  I have stayed there as a hotel guest and know they sell day passes.  The shore break can be rough, but the pool area is nice even though I am not a huge fan of the plastic crocodiles as decorations.   Good food and drinks too.  It's also walkable from the pier.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 2

I suspect that some cruisers do not get beyond the dock area/shops, etc.

There is a pathway from that area to the town.   We have walked it.  About 1.5 KM.   Usually we took a cab.   The town is a fair size  , Square with the usual church at one end.  Very enjoyable at night. We enjoyed our stay there.

Edited by iancal

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, SelectSys said:

It's really not that far to walk up over the hill into the heart of La Crucecita which is pleasant for a short visit.  The market, square and church are all pretty nice.  Good options for food if you look places up on the web.  The walk from the pier to the center is probably 20-30 minutes tops via the dedicated walkway and the views are nice.  For those interested, I would recommend walking up into town and talking a cab back.  Last time I was there basic cab rides were no more than 50 pesos. 

For those interested in a day pass, the Hotel Quinta Bella is nice from my perspective.  I have stayed there as a hotel guest and know they sell day passes.  The shore break can be rough, but the pool area is nice even though I am not a huge fan of the plastic crocodiles as decorations.   Good food and drinks too.  It's also walkable from the pier.

I have looked at pictures of the walkway from the port area to La Crucecita, but it's hard to tell how much of an incline the walk has.  You mention "walking up over the hill."  Is it an easy walk or steep in places?

On 3/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, Mary Ann 2 said:

I have looked at pictures of the walkway from the port area to La Crucecita, but it's hard to tell how much of an incline the walk has.  You mention "walking up over the hill."  Is it an easy walk or steep in places?

I would assume the rise is no more than 200 ft at most.  It's not too steep and there are benches along the way to sit on.  Depending on when you go, it can be fairly hot outside and I don't think too much shade is exists along the walkway even though some small trees have been planted if my memory serves me correctly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I would assume the rise is no more than 200 ft at most.  It's not too steep and there are benches along the way to sit on.  Depending on when you go, it can be fairly hot outside and I don't think too much shade is exists along the walkway even though some small trees have been planted if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for the information.  Guess I will see what the temperature is for day we have there and how early a start we get.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Augustina said:

Thanks all for insights about Huatulco. Wondering about the water activities in the bays, anything to report.  How is the snorkeling.

Can't tell you about snorkeling, but there is some great surfing in Huatulco.

Snorkeling can be decent at Playa la Entrega.  There are 2 ways to get there, a taxi--walk past the port area to a parking lot.  There should be a posted price--used to be about $6 per cab one way, who knows now.  There are always cabs there for the return trip in my experience. There is a great view of the harbor on the ride to the beach.  You can also take one of the boats in the little harbor area which is per person.  If you take one of the boat tours of the various bays, they can drop you there at the end. 

You can rent snorkel gear at the beach and there are lots of beach food establishments.  Being independent travelers and sun averse, we try to get there early and set up under one of the trees.  The snorkeling area is roped off so no danger from boats.  Visibility is sometimes poor--when ships turn around docking it can stir things up.  Other times it has been good.  I've seen turtles, sting rays, eels, lots of fish, especially large schools of yellowtail surgeonfish.  As you come into the port, you can see the beach off to the left as you enter the bay.

I've also walked to La Crucecita a few times.  It's a quaint little town with some eating and drinking establishments--probably cheaper than at the port.  The church has a lovely painted ceiling.

PA040258 1.jpg

DSC00658.JPG

Edited by mcmarya

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sharing our amazing tour in Huatulco :

We have visited numerous cities in Mexico and I’d have to say hands down this has been my all time favourite! Not only does this charming city seem untouched but we just so happen to find a fabulous tour with Best Huatulco Tours with Alfonso. A family owned and operated team. When choosing excursions we try to find companies from the locals. Better for the economy and tends to be a lot more affordable than travel agencies. I’ll have to admit this tour is definitely on my top five, worldwide. Alfonso was so down to earth and extremely knowledgeable about his city, his expertise in horticulture and ornithology is evident. We were thankful he had a very comfortable and air conditioned vehicle, Huatulco is extremely hot even in December! Went to many scenic spots and visited a local cemetery, Alfonso explained in detail the dynamics of burying loved ones in his culture. As part of our tour he invited us to his home and we met his sweet wife Laura and her mother. These admirable ladies taught me how to make corn tortillas over a wood fire stove in their backyard. Thankfully they were extremely patient with me 😄I was able to prepare some to eat for our meal 😃 Alfonso and his beautiful family prepared a lavish welcoming meal to include local beers and homemade guava juice. All of the fruits and vegetables came from his family’s farm. This experience will forever be a fond memory for my family. 

If you are planning a trip to Huatulco, be sure to book with Best Huatulco Tours by Alfonso 👍 Fantastic! 
He primarily uses Facebook “Best Huatulco Tours” He accepts payments through western Union 

besthuatulcotours.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Huatulco about 10 years ago.  If I remember correctly, we simply walked to a beach close to the port where we had the best fish taco’s I’ve ever had.  Does this sound right?  Sometimes I get my ports confused!