The Difference in Luxury vs. Main Stream Cruise Brands by a New Luxury Cruiser

Sthrngary

On 11/19/2021 at 9:11 AM, Sthrngary said:

When you are investing/paying for something that is the same prices as a small car, you might as well do your due diligence.  At least then, you feel better about your decision.  

It seems that Regent is the line that appeals to you most.  It sounds like the other lines would be luxury and all that, but not quite what you want.  While a small car will get you around town the same way a fancier one would and last longer than a cruise, there are just some times when you should do what makes you feels good. as those memories can be priceless.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

It seems that Regent is the line that appeals to you most.  It sounds like the other lines would be luxury and all that, but not quite what you want.  While a small car will get you around town the same way a fancier one would and last longer than a cruise, there are just some times when you should do what makes you feels good. as those memories can be priceless.

You see right through me.  Thank you for your post.

• 1 month later...

On 11/16/2021 at 5:47 PM, Sthrngary said:

My bucket list was RSSC.  I just could not justify it until I tasted even the low-ed of the luxury spectrum.  Now, I understand about some of the positives which were many and the few negatives.  I actually was going to take RSSC out of Miami and went on facebook to the RSSC group. Wow, was the snob factor even worse there.  

All that being said, I would do Crystal or RSSC or the other brands you mentioned in Europe for my 45th wedding anniversary in a few years.  I just thought folks like myself might like to know my experience.  BTW, some of the folks I met online with Crystal were AWESOME.  

Thank you so much for replying.  It was very nice of you.

Cruise well.

My first luxury is going be Regent Seven Seas next December 2022. It was supposed to be the Western Mediterranean (Athens to Venice) in 2021, but was cancelled by Regent because of COVID. So now because of COVID, and US International travel restrictions I'm sailing the Southern/Eastern Caribbean on Splendor (for under 19K$, albeit in a Concierge Suite - no butler or daily canapes). I asked to be placed a waitlist for a Penthouse. We'll see...

But your observations were well known to me, from my own research. My Dad (RIP) sailed on Crystal Serenity in 2013 on a 12 day European cruise.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SireDoime said:

Which specific group? There are quite a few.

It was a long time ago. Just after, I deleted my twitter and Facebook account.  RSSC is a good brand. Don’t let my Facebook experience sway you.  Enjoy every minute.

Cruise well.

• 1 year later...

In retirement I started to have a lot more time on my hands.  My life work had me spend lots of time away from home.  Hotels and air flights were my way for decades.  I always loved cruising and my cruising experience started on my Honeymoon 44 years ago.  It was very humble however still a lovely memory.

Since then, my life and career improved as most do and I wanted to improve my cruising experience. For what every reason, I always wanted to have a top tier experience.  The best way to put it is a high lever of personalized service.  It is not that crew members did not treat my wife and I nicely.  I believe that treatment on a cruise ship is in direct proportion to the guest treatment of the crew.  Kindness brings out kindness in people. 

Still something was missing.  Over decades I realized the issue was unrealistic expectations on my part. This is a luxury cruise blog.  If their is one thing that is constant is luxury is not very clearly defined.  Like dining, it is subjective.  The issue with Luxury Clients is everyone has a different need or want.  The ability of the crew members to obtain what those are is an art form.  Most recently it became clear that a ship that had just gone through huge renovations and looked fabulous, get bad reviews because of human interaction.  Yet another ship that showed its age was given very high levels of satisfaction.

After all these years one more aspect of cruising especially when your venture out for higher end brands is the that brands previous and loyal guest.  I hope a lot of those folks read this post.  The DNA of a Luxury Client is to want more every time they cruise.  It has been my experience both in my professional life with the study of luxury client; to my personal life as a luxury client to notice this attribute of "What will you do for me better today."  

What ends up happening is the Luxury Client instead of looking for what is good in the situation, they make an enormous deal on what is different.  One stream that for me highlights this is a brand where it had a debate on how horrible it was that the Logo paper the lined the bottom of the suites trash can was not being used anymore.  These same folks really did not help their favorite brand with their petty complaints.  When someone new, who was not super wealthy so the fare was serious to them, wanted to consider the brand.  Those new client which would sustain the brand in the future were run off. I know, I was one of them.  The guest attitude during the cruise was so rude and pointless it created an environment of dissatisfaction. 

The moral of this post is the brand, crew, corporate office and guest all have a part on making a luxury brand work.  Part of that is realizing, nothing about a luxury cruise can be planned perfectly.  That is the nature of the cruising industry.  Be kind, thoughtful and understanding.  Don't let simple stuff make your experience horrible.  Take the high road yet you deserve a value for your luxury dollar.  Do your best to be positive and not sweat the small stuff.  If not for your self, for the other guest onboard.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 2

I have found my home on Viking Ocean cruises. The service is outstanding, and the passengers are  interesting, well travelers, curious , friendly and  love the beauty of the ship. The resident historian  and the interaction while on board, , the diversity of the ideas and the world,  and love  of history of all kind is a big feature. It is also not a US cruise line and it shows. 🥰 

I am interested also in Explora Journey , new luxury cruise line by MSC. For the first years or so , everyone will be new passengers so all the quaint nostalgia of past cruises and what folks now need will not be an issue. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Azulann said:

I have found my home on Viking Ocean cruises. The service is outstanding, and the passengers are  interesting, well travelers, curious , friendly and  love the beauty of the ship. The resident historian  and the interaction while on board, , the diversity of the ideas and the world,  and love  of history of all kind is a big feature. It is also not a US cruise line and it shows. 🥰 

I am interested also in Explore Journey , new luxury cruise line by MSC. For the first years or so , everyone will be new passengers so all the quaint nostalgia of past cruises and what folks now need will not be an issue. 

@Azulann Thank you for taking the time and posting.  I have considered Viking as well.  Your comments make it in the top five for my next cruise opportunity.  Thank you again for taking the time to help us all.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sthrngary said:

Oh I always do. thank you. 

Doing Scenic Scandinavia in June., with pre days and post days in Stockholm and Copenhagen.Going to go the land of my people for the very first time after 8 European cruises in the Med. and Iberian peninsula.. HA!  

I have always enjoyed your post on various forums.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1