Taxis at the pier & Island tour?

tocruzagain

Can anyone tell me what the current status is regarding the availability of taxis at the pier and if they’re currently offering island tours with a stop at the beach? If this is happening, what’s the current pricing? I will be arriving via DCL the end of the month. Thank you! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 11:51 PM, tocruzagain said:

Can anyone tell me what the current status is regarding the availability of taxis at the pier and if they’re currently offering island tours with a stop at the beach? If this is happening, what’s the current pricing? I will be arriving via DCL the end of the month. Thank you! 

What did you find out now that you have toured?  Did you find things were open and tours were available.  I am not finding current 2022 info.

• 1 month later...

I was there with NCL Gem on 4/20 and there were plenty of taxis available at the pier.  We decided on an island tour in an open air bus taxi with about 20 other people.  Tortola is amazing and the views from the mountains are incredibly beautiful.  The tour included a few stops where we were able to get out and take photos, a stop at a restaurant and bar for about 15 minutes, a stop at the Callwood sugar cane rum distillary and a 2 hour stop at the Cane Garden bay beach - a beautiful beach with available chairs and umbrellas for rent - the attendant wasn't there when we arrived so we didnt have to pay for the rental.   The tour cost was either $20 or $30 per person and our driver and tour guide was wonderful.  The taxi operators are aware of when your ship is scheduled to depart and get you back with time to spare - We were back on the ship an hour and a half before it was scheduled to depart. See beach pic and pic taken from tour bus.  So much value for the money!!!.  

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes as Daniel noted, a shared island tour is a great and affordable way to spend 3 or 4 hours seeing the natural beauty of the island with amazing photo ops from the mountain top. It is a good choice for folks with very short port times!

And yes there are several other excellent excursion options, whether your ship is at Tortola, Virgin Gorda, or Jost. A day on VG or JVD, on your own or through the ship, a catamaran or power boat adventure, or just a nice day on gorgeous beach away from your fellow cruise mates…The islands of the BVI are one of the few remaining destinations that still offer that secluded beach for the savvy traveler 😉

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2022 at 3:24 AM, cdaniel135 said:

I was there with NCL Gem on 4/20 and there were plenty of taxis available at the pier.  We decided on an island tour in an open air bus taxi with about 20 other people.  Tortola is amazing and the views from the mountains are incredibly beautiful.  The tour included a few stops where we were able to get out and take photos, a stop at a restaurant and bar for about 15 minutes, a stop at the Callwood sugar cane rum distillary and a 2 hour stop at the Cane Garden bay beach - a beautiful beach with available chairs and umbrellas for rent - the attendant wasn't there when we arrived so we didnt have to pay for the rental.   The tour cost was either $20 or $30 per person and our driver and tour guide was wonderful.  The taxi operators are aware of when your ship is scheduled to depart and get you back with time to spare - We were back on the ship an hour and a half before it was scheduled to depart. See beach pic and pic taken from tour bus.  So much value for the money!!!.  

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

Hi - you just got off the ship and looked for this tour or did you pre-book? Do you recall the name of the bus? Thanks,

12 hours ago, jmfx2 said:

Hi - you just got off the ship and looked for this tour or did you pre-book? Do you recall the name of the bus? Thanks,

Until cdaniel gets back to you, yes - there are safari taxis that are dedicated to providing 3 - 4 island tours, some including a beach stop. Price is ~$25/pp and up…
You will see the drivers holding signs, or you can ask the nice ladies at the info booth…

Nice way to see gorgeous Tortola with amazing photo ops of the bays and other islands from the mountain top!

Edited by blue_water

• 7 months later...

I would contact AC, he can coordinate multiple vans for your tour if he still has availability for your day. Contact him now if interested as he is very popular with both land vacationers and day visitors…

If not available the ladies at the information center can help you locate drivers…

http://www.info-res.com/actaxibvi/

https://www.bvitourism.com/acs-taxi-service

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2023 at 11:12 AM, wacko said:

Was there 2 weeks ago and used Honest Ernest open air truck. Went to Brewers bay for the day. Highly recommend him picked us up right on time. Group of eight.

Does Brewers Bay have umbrellas and chair for rent?  We are a party of 13.

• 3 months later...
On 2/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, blue_water said:

I would contact AC, he can coordinate multiple vans for your tour if he still has availability for your day. Contact him now if interested as he is very popular with both land vacationers and day visitors…

If not available the ladies at the information center can help you locate drivers…

http://www.info-res.com/actaxibvi/

https://www.bvitourism.com/acs-taxi-service

Bluewater, do you know if AC Smith is still in business? I emailed him August 6, at his Hotmail address, and have not heard back from him. Is that to be expected?

Thank you for all of your advice. You have been very, very helpful.

• Like 1

I have not contacted him in some time, but I have seen recent land visitors recently sharing their recommendations for him. I would suggest posing this question on a forum that will get you a quick reply. It is the BVI forum on TTOL - 
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

Good luck! And thanks for your kind words! 🙏

Hi,

Has anyone done any of these local tours with a mobility scooter, its one of those travel ones that folds up, I remember getting one of the local taxis years ago when we stopped at Tortola but at that time we didnt need the scooter and cannot recall if you could have got one on the taxi.

cheers

rob