Live from Silver Spirit, November 19-28, Barcelona to Lisbon

jpalbny

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

I also agree......JP, you could have been an author with the smooth and detailed commentary.  Definitely puts my live from to shame.

Thanks Lois, but I can't agree with the last part at all. 🙂 

I'm with QSS; I enjoyed following along with your journey also. It's so good to be back to be doing two of my favorite things - planning for travel, and writing about it! And we have so many on this board writing reports now. It's great! Now, time to start that retirement planning in earnest so we can do more of it.

I write a lot of detail on these blogs because in effect, they become my own travel diary. I enjoy revisiting old trips by reading these reports. So I'm glad that some others enjoy it too...I always think I'm putting in way too much detail, but those details bring me right back to that part of the journey years later, even more so than the pictures. 

Speaking of pictures - what a dilemma! Should I drag my DSLR to Finland so I have the best chance to get good pix of the Northern Lights? Assuming that we can go, that is, I think the DSLR will have an edge over the cell phone cameras It will be weird to bring a camera. Every picture in this report was taken with a cell phone - we haven't brought our cameras on a trip since last January.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Speaking of pictures - what a dilemma! Should I drag my DSLR to Finland so I have the best chance to get good pix of the Northern Lights? Assuming that we can go, that is, I think the DSLR will have an edge over the cell phone cameras It will be weird to bring a camera. Every picture in this report was taken with a cell phone - we haven't brought our cameras on a trip since last January.

Bring it!  Other trips are about mobility [don't want to lug a big SLR up all those stairs!].  This one is about the Northern Lights.  Not only bring the SLR, study up on what settings are best for this unusual lighting condition.  And be sure to post the pictures here!  [I'll be waiting with bated breath, but I'm not telling what I use for bait...]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Should I drag my DSLR to Finland so I have the best chance to get good pix of the Northern Lights?

I think you'd have a much better chance of getting a good nighttime picture with an SLR than a cell phone camera. You need to be able to control the shutter speed to get a long exposure, and the much larger sensor in the SLR camera will capture more light and add less noise. Of course, the cell phone makers are aggressively doing more in software than the SLR camera folks, so the difference may not be as huge as it seems it should be -- but I still think the SLR is worth it for this very particular thing you're trying to photograph. (Most photographers would want a tripod, too, for a long exposure, but I've become pretty good at balancing on railings, bulkheads, trash cans, or whatever rigid object is available!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Most photographers would want a tripod, too, for a long exposure, but I've become pretty good at balancing on railings

I'm with EJ on the tripod.

Although I've become pretty good at balancing on decks, dry land, etc after a bit of wine, this ability does not extend to railings or other external objects such as cameras.   🙂

• Haha 2

Wow I have never read a better cruise blog.You two are amazing you are much younger then me,however when I was your age I couldn't keep up with you two.Your writing skills are beyond belief you have a gift to describe in detail each a every scene your visiting.My question do you really enjoy and appreciate so many venues in the short time you have.Do you really remember in detail all the places you visit.If the answer is yes, you are truly an amazing couple.Thank you so much for a great and some time exhausting blog.

Belated big thank you to JP and Chris for the superb detailed response to my query about the large ship small ship query that always enters the equation when future bookings are discussed.Having been fortunate enough to travel on the same cruise in the past We really do value the excellent report on current cruising conditions and we are looking forward to joining the wonderful SS experience in the near future when the majority of current restrictions will hopefully have been lifted.Happy SS cruising to you both and enjoy Xmas and hopefully a better 2022 for everyone.

13 hours ago, Captainlyle said:

Do you really remember in detail all the places you visit.If the answer is yes, you are truly an amazing couple.

If you ever get a chance to cruise with JP and Chris, I'm sure you'll agree they are energy and positivity personified! They really do take it all in, and I love reading about their adventures.

JP, your reports here and your blog have been pivotal in my decision-making about trips. Thank you! And I do hope you'll take the camera to Finland.

Kathy

• Like 1

DSLR and tripod JP..... Maybe pack less clothes if you are short on space! (lol I jest... )

My one and only visual on the Northern Lights lasted about 5 seconds after 5 cloudy days, but at the end of a high flare intensity, so I expect without the cover, it would have been spectacular.

Can't wait to see the photos.

You all are making me LOL.

We do pack light,, but I'd need more clothes than that for the Arctic, in winter. It will make the Polar Plunge feel warm.

Unfortunately I am near-certain that we'll have to reschedule this trip. Finland is seemingly heading towards a significant curtailing of activities (as are a number of other European countries) so I don't see this trip being feasible. Will take a closer look this week but I think that the writing is on the wall. 

• 6 months later...