When to buy cruise / travel insurance

In 2023 my husband I will be taking two trips, 1) a South America cruise trip with Hurtigruten - out of country 21 days 2) a trip to Namibia and Botswana and out of country 30 days (land based).

The deposit for the cruise was paid 11/17/2021. Currently, all online quotes for cruise  insurance are equal to or greater than the deposit. So do I wait until it’s time to start paying deposits on Africa (May-June 2022) and purchase an annual insurance then  or do I purchase insurance separately for each trip?

I’m most concerned about insuring medical evacuation,  and cancellation for a covered unforeseen event (not cancel for any reason).  At the time of travel we will be 2 months shy of our 74th birthdays. We are In good health and are considered very active. 

My thinking is to wait, as the cruise deposit is considered non refundable and it’s less than the insurance if purchased today. If I do wait, will a separate cruise policy  change dramatically in price because I waited to purchase? Or am I smarter to wait until I can purchase an annual policy as the trips are within the same calendar year? 

Thank you, Julie

Edited by cruise1949

15 hours ago, cruise1949 said:

In 2023 my husband I will be taking two trips, 1) a South America cruise trip with Hurtigruten - out of country 21 days 2) a trip to Namibia and Botswana and out of country 30 days (land based).

The deposit for the cruise was paid 11/17/2021. Currently, all online quotes for cruise  insurance are equal to or greater than the deposit. So do I wait until it’s time to start paying deposits on Africa (May-June 2022) and purchase an annual insurance then or do I purchase insurance separately for each trip?

I’m most concerned about insuring medical evacuation, and cancellation for a covered unforeseen event (not cancel for any reason).  At the time of travel we will be 2 months shy of our 74th birthdays. We are In good health and are considered very active. 

My thinking is to wait, as the cruise deposit is considered non refundable and it’s less than the insurance if purchased today. If I do wait, will a separate cruise policy change dramatically in price because I waited to purchase? Or am I smarter to wait until I can purchase an annual policy as the trips are within the same calendar year? 

Thank you, Julie

Hi Julie,

You have a few choices:

1) You may wait until Final Payment, but you run the risk of the polic(ies) being no longer available and of the prices being higher.

2) You may buy a plan within 14 - 21 days of your first payment and just insure the deposit. Not all companies allow this, but all the companies we sell allow this.

> am I smarter to wait until I can purchase an annual policy as the trips are within the same calendar year?

That may be a good idea, but in order to give you the right advice, I will need some personal information from you. Neither CruiseCritic nor myself want you to put this info on a public forum, so if you want, you may email it to me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com and I'll tell you if it's worth getting an annual plan. I'll need this information:

- What are your travel dates?
- What's your full per person prepaid non-refundable trip cost (not an average)?
- How much was your deposit per person?
- Is airfare included in your full trip cost?
- Was any of your deposit paid with Future Cruise Credits that represented money you had paid on a trip that was cancelled or interrupted due to Covid?

- Do either of you, any traveling companions or your non-traveling family members, have any medical conditions, or had any medication changes for a medical condition, that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip? Or that could cause you to seek treatment on your trip?
- Are you covered by Medicare with a supplement you bought on your own or on a former employers' retiree health plan? Or do you have Advantage plans?

Steve Dasseos