A Big Boost for Boosters

DirtyDawg

According to the NYT the FDA in the U.S. has approved Pfizer and Moderna boosters for all adults. If the CDC agrees booster shots could start this weekend. With the PCR test requirement being dropped for short visits, will we be seeing a boost in booster shopping this Christmas season by Canadians living near the border?

If Ontario does not act soon to approve boosters, Mrs. Dawg and I will be winging it down to Buffalo for a booster shot, some Duff's wings, and maybe even a Bill's game. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 5

I'm not as in a hurry for the third shot as I am being able to drive across the border.

I have three border crossings in my home town and look at Maine, USA daily and haven't been over in 20 months. Getting closer I heard but not confirmed.

43 minutes ago, katiecat said:

I'm not as in a hurry for the third shot as I am being able to drive across the border.

I have three border crossings in my home town and look at Maine, USA daily and haven't been over in 20 months. Getting closer I heard but not confirmed.

And you have Ganong chocolates too!  🍫 😋

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

According to the NYT the FDA in the U.S. has approved Pfizer and Moderna boosters for all adults. If the CDC agrees booster shots could start this weekend. With the PCR test requirement being dropped for short visits, will we be seeing a boost in booster shopping this Christmas season by Canadians living near the border?

If Ontario does not act soon to approve boosters, Mrs. Dawg and I will be winging it down to Buffalo for a booster shot, some Duff's wings, and maybe even a Bill's game. 

I thought Ontario had approved boosters for everyone 18+, at least 6 months after your second dose.

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Ugh us too! Walden Galleria mall just opened a massive testing and vaccination clinic. Do you know what identification they ask for, not being a US resident to get a booster? Was hoping Ontario would jump on the bandwagon and not continue at a glacial pace. 
day tripping here we come! 😉 

15 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I thought Ontario had approved boosters for everyone 18+, at least 6 months after your second dose.

The province approved boosters for vulnerable demographics earlier this month but the last I read was; "Ontario is also prepared to gradually roll out booster doses to all Ontarians aged 12 and over." So probably over the next few months.

Edited by DirtyDawg

6 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I believe they have, but at the moment, one has to be 70 yrs or over,  and/or live in LTC or other multi-person residences.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Ugh us too! Walden Galleria mall just opened a massive testing and vaccination clinic. Do you know what identification they ask for, not being a US resident to get a booster? Was hoping Ontario would jump on the bandwagon and not continue at a glacial pace. 
day tripping here we come! 😉 

And I bet you will be playing The Beatles all the way down. 🎶

If we find out anything regarding locations and documents/cost I'll post it here. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I believe they have, but at the moment, one has to be 70 yrs or over,  and/or live in LTC or other multi-person residences.  

Boosters are not yet technically approved by Health Canada - but NACI has made the above recommendations which are being followed by Ontario (and some other provinces as well).

53 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Boosters are not yet technically approved by Health Canada - but NACI has made the above recommendations which are being followed by Ontario (and some other provinces as well).

Health Canada has approved both Pfizer and Moderna booster shots.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/health-canada-moderna-covid-19-booster-1.6246844

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

My husband is eager to get a booster shot. We has AZ/Pfizer mix so is also happy to get two Pfizers if we wants to travel internationally.

He has said that if Ontario doesn't decide soon we will be having a road trip.

I’m also in the AZ/Pfizer group and will hold out for the Pfizer booster. I think the booster is only half the strength of the vaccination dosage, so it’s not really correct to infer that one had two doses of Pfizer.  But…it depends on the country’s expectations.  If the booster is the same strength as the vaccination, then that would be great.  Maybe one can ask for a full-strength booster??  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I’m also in the AZ/Pfizer group and will hold out for the Pfizer booster. I think the booster is only half the strength of the vaccination dosage, so it’s not really correct to infer that one had two doses of Pfizer.  But…it depends on the country’s expectations.  If the booster is the same strength as the vaccination, then that would be great.  Maybe one can ask for a full-strength booster??  

I believe that the Pfizer booster is full strength. The Moderna booster is half strength.

I had a Pfizer booster yesterday. I am in the double Astra Zeneca group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I believe that the Pfizer booster is full strength. The Moderna booster is half strength.

That's right. The boosters from Pfizer and J&J are the same formulation and dosage as the initial vaccines, but Moderna’s booster is half the dose of the first two shots.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TeaBag said:

We already have had our boosters.  There has to be something good about getting old!

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I had the Moderna full dose booster a couple of days ago, previously had Pfizer.  Full dose Moderna is given for over 70s.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I had the Moderna full dose booster a couple of days ago, previously had Pfizer.  Full dose Moderna is given for over 70s.

It starts to get confusing when some provinces start giving full regular doses of the Moderna vaccine and call them booster shots when Moderna produces an actual 1/2 dose booster vaccine.

• Like 1

The Moderna booster shot will be half a dose, Health Canada said in a news release on Friday. That differs from the Pfizer booster, which is a full dose. "A COVID-19 booster shot is an extra dose of the vaccine given after completion of the primary vaccine series," the news release said.

So what will our vaccine records show?

Those currently getting 3rd doses have documents saying 3rd doses. I'm sure the amount is written on the form but when travelling it will just be shown as 3 doses, right?

I received a full 2nd Pfizer shot.